Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

201 - 225 of 1,176 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By 吴娜

Mar 11, 2017

This is my first course completed successfully on Coursera. I really appreciate the hard work of Prof.Fitzpatrick and other teachers. This course made me go from knowing nothing firsthand about MATLAB to being a beginner.

By osama r

Oct 12, 2019

best course can anyone have online, each minute worth gold in this course.

I hope you make a complement to this course, advance MATLAB.

finally, thanks to everyone involved in the creation and administration of this course.

By Krupa S

Apr 26, 2019

The course was so much than I had anticipated. Mike is a fantastic teacher. I wasnt bored a bit. There are many MATLAB courses available on internet, but this one is the best. The coursework is definitely worth your time.

By Rajeswari M

Mar 11, 2017

The course is very good for beginners who are interested to learn programming. The teacher Mike Fitzpatrick is very good in explaining the concepts, I would love to take advanced course as well if he offers. Thanks Mike!

By praveen k

Mar 15, 2017

Very informative. The tone of the professor is like narration of some hollywood movie. This is my favourite course next to linear algebra by Gilbert Strang. Thank you everyone who made this useful information available.

By Stephan M

Nov 19, 2018

Very nice introduction with a nice overview of all the functionality of MATLAB. The exercises are also helpful in understanding MATLAB better and have a learning curve which gets steeper as you advance in the lectures.

By Emmanuel V P

Sep 24, 2017

Amazing!!. I really recommend take this course and buy the book (it's very cheap with useful content). The course give to you the basic to apply MATLAB in your study field!. The instructor is clear with sense of humor.

By Milenka M

Jul 09, 2017

This is the very first course I have tried at coursera and it has been a great experience. The course is really well designed to make first time learners feel comfortable with their first steps in computer programming.

By Surendra B

Apr 03, 2017

I was scared of programming before starting this program. This program was not easy for me, but, as I completed it, I'm now confident that I can take up my programming skill further. Thanks to Instructors and Coursera.

By VINYAS

Jun 08, 2018

The best course I have ever taken so far. Contents were really interesting and nicely arranged. Though the last 3 home assignments brought in a lot of struggle but it was worth it. Thanks for the wonderful course!!!

By Nrusimha N M

Oct 02, 2016

Very well designed course! The instructors from Vanderbilt have done an excellent job. I sincerely enjoyed every bit of it. Many thanks to Prof Fitzpatrick, Prof Ledeczi, and the moderators Prof Paul, Matt and Bjorn.

By Ravi T

Dec 06, 2016

It's an excellent course for people with and without prior coding experience.

Deals with all basics necessary to kick start an interest and insight to MATLAB.

Advanced courses of the same would be greatly appreciated.

By GaneshSree V M K

Sep 14, 2018

I was new to programming but now i can say that i am good at programming in matlab.topics are clearly explained.i recommend guys to do this course.ofcoure assiginments gets challenging when we go on to later weeks.

By Drumil P

Jan 28, 2017

Awesome for beginners . Improve your programming skills as well as analytic thinking towards problem. Solutions comparison is the best way to see how much still you can improve your code. I'll recommend it 100%.

By Vincenzo L

Feb 20, 2020

excellent course , excellent teacher. Mark Fitzpatrick was very clear and capable to keep the attention af the students at high level all the time. The tests were interesting and well balanced with the lessons.

By Еделева М В

May 21, 2018

Сложные, но интересные задания. Очень понятные лекции. Огромное количество примеров. Курс позволяет сделать первые шаги в программировании даже тем, кто раньше считал, что программирование уж точно не для него.

By Mukta

Mar 02, 2018

This course was the first course to learn the programming languages, and I am extremely pleased with my progress. The instructor and his teaching methods are delightful. Easy to understand and yet challenging.

By Navien T

Oct 02, 2016

Very well structured and extremely clear videos and also helpful staff and mentors to our questions. Assignments were very diverse and challenges us to fully understand the concept and functions of the program.

By Ankith S

Feb 17, 2020

I would recommend this to everyone who wants to learn Matlab irrespective of their prior knowledge about the language. It helped a coding novice like me to write code specifically suited for my data analysis.

By Beata G

Aug 17, 2016

Brilliant introductory course with very well prepared exercises. The automated testing file was of immense help. Managed to get the knowledge into place, which makes my future PhD work with matlab much easier

By DHRUVIN M P

Dec 14, 2019

I really love this course. My major is not related to coding. so, I didn't know anything about MATLAB. But, now I can write simple codes and after little more practice, I think I can be very good in coding.

By Rahul D M

Oct 20, 2019

This is a fantastic course to get accustomed to MATLAB. I request Coursera to bring another course on MATLAB of intermediate level, preferably by same tutor so we can build upon everything learnt from here.

By Aayu k

Oct 11, 2019

Really helpful course. For a person like me who didn't know much about programming, this course proved to be beneficial and the mentor make every point so clear in a very approachable way !

A big thanks !

By Rathod A

Jul 08, 2018

time period in which i had completed this course is one of the best of my life, but as we know that every good thing has to end. i wish other student also get good environment like me and learn new things.

By Hamidreza F

Sep 10, 2017

The best course for someone who hates programming!

For almost 5 years, I was running away of Matlab, finally made it with this course!

Thank you Professor Fitzpatrick, you made me change my bad habits :)