Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

51 - 75 of 1,025 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Adem C

Jan 26, 2019

This is a fantastic course for beginners to learn how to use MATLAB. It teaches from the very basics to the more advanced concepts and has really allowed me to extend my mathematical knowledge into programming. My only issue is with the last 2 assignments being really difficult and hard to achieve a simple pass but other than that this is an exceptional course for anyone in the mathematical field.

By Mohamed H Y A

Jan 26, 2019

Honestly, this course is one of the most useful online courses I have ever taken. It is interesting, challenging and the instructor is more than professional. I love it

By Eyob

Nov 06, 2018

Provides resources, explains clearly, and provides a good basis for programming

By Zejd I

Nov 24, 2018

Best MATLAB course on the internet

By Marta B S E

Nov 09, 2018

A great course to introduce you in programming language

By Yan L

Nov 08, 2018

Very useful and friendly to the fresh person

By DRIPTA D

Nov 09, 2018

I was looking for a basic course on Matlab for a long time until I came across this one on Coursera. For every beginner who wants to learn Matlab, this is where you should start. Well paced course, with attention to minute details that would help every novice to not only learn how to code but more importantly how to avoid bugs. The difficulty of assignments rise gradually, which again is a sign of how amazingly this course has been designed. Kudos and thanks to the team of Coursera and Vanderbilt University !!

By Katrin S

Nov 26, 2018

Great Course to learn programming with MATLAB. Your guys did an amayzing job in finding good homework and explaining the theorie well!

By Karim M E

Nov 11, 2018

great course

By Shunjie Y

Nov 12, 2018

Although this course is basic, it provides good foundation and knowledge for further study. Many thanks for the instructor, all the mentors and classmates on the weekly homework discussion forum. Without their help and inspiration, I couldn't finish some of those challenging homework questions. And thanks for this MOOC platform (Coursera) to provide me an opportunity to learn such good course.

By Adarsh A

Nov 11, 2018

It was an amazing experience learning MATLAB undir the guidance of Mr.Mike Fitzpatrick.

He helped me a lot,the way he taught,hie examples,explanations was just amazing.

I would like to recommend this course to every coding enthusiast whoever wants to learn coding

By DEVANSH S

Nov 12, 2018

The course "Introduction to Programming with MATLAB" helped me in improving my skills and knowledge of the basics of coding and provided an exposure to the world of programming. During this course I learnt various important things which will surely help me in the professional world.

By Tiwalade O

Nov 12, 2018

This is a very interesting and Challenging course which really opened my eyes to see the great possibilities that can be achieved through programming. The tutor was absolutely excellent and the progression of the course was superb.

My most interesting and Engaging part of the course is having to tackle the numerous weekly assignments. Thumbs up to the whole crew from Vanderbilt University

By Kapil D

Nov 12, 2018

I have found this course wonderrful. The most amazing part of this course is home work problems. Through these problems set I got idea about my weak and strong points.

By Olivio A C J

Nov 28, 2018

Excellent course, with very good explanations. The teacher speaks in a clear way and has a very good didactics. I am learning a lot about Matlab and computation in this course.

By Nadya O

Nov 29, 2018

The best

By Alan P

Nov 13, 2018

Great course for an introductory level. However, you should have skills in physics and mathematics in order to solve some of the homework. The lecturer speaks clear and try to make enjoyable a subject that lacks of fun at all (programming), sometimes achieving it. Recommended course!

By muhammad i

Nov 14, 2018

good for begineers

By Sumit S

Nov 14, 2018

Very Good for Beginners , Levels of the question of the assignments will increase your level in programming

By suhyeon b

Jan 17, 2019

Great Lecture!!!!

By yashas

Jan 19, 2019

An exceptional course tailored for people from all backgrounds, excellent instructor. All in all this course is just brilliant.

By Магжанов Т Р

Jan 21, 2019

Продуктивно и интересно!

By Md T R

Jan 20, 2019

Its one of the best interactive online courses that I have taken.And prof. Fitzpatric is awesome, by awesome I mean really AWESOME.

By SHRERA001@myuct.ac.za

Jan 21, 2019

My favourite course on this platform. Truly engaging teaching, challenging exercises and excellent support. I very highly recommend! Thank you Coursera.

By Mostafa A M N

Jan 23, 2019

it have been a great course, i actually had a matlab course in my university, but this one is so much better and more challenging than the first couse at my university.

i am extremely happy to have this course, because it brought back to me the love of matlab after that terrible course at my college.

thank you all for your hard work, and hope i will meet Dr. fitzpatrik and the staff one day to thank them in person.