Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

51 - 75 of 1,176 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Ben

Apr 30, 2019

This is a great programming Matlab course I'd ever learned. The professor Mike did great on his lectures. Weekly assignments were not many but not easy. Especially, the assignments of the last two weeks (week 8 and week 9) were so time consuming and difficult. Honestly, I wasn't able to do it and got help from Google search. I wish the professor would have given more assignments, but the assignments would be constructed from easy level to hard level so that it could encourage me learning. Thank you the professor!

By Abedeera J S P N

Nov 23, 2017

The best course which I would recommend for any of beginners in programming with MATLAB. Though i had little experience in MATLAB while I am completing my M.Sc. course work, there I did not get an opportunity to learn the basic stuff. I had the thought of filling the gaps in my knowledge and followed the course. Actually, I learnt a lot and to the best level which anyone can have knowledge of the basics. Thank you Coursera and Vanderbilt university. Special thanks goes to chief instructor Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick.

By Tianyi S

Aug 29, 2019

I greatly enjoy my time taking the course, and the professor's way of explaining the MATLAB codes throughout the course is good (esp. of his cold jokes lol). I cannot imagine that I registered the course during the first sem of my freshman year, and now I am entering into my final year of my college study. I cannot think of any better examples of how my procrastination is always switched on. But anyways, thanks to coursera and many thanks to the instructors. I hope that I can finish my other courses on coursera.

By DRIPTA D

Nov 09, 2018

I was looking for a basic course on Matlab for a long time until I came across this one on Coursera. For every beginner who wants to learn Matlab, this is where you should start. Well paced course, with attention to minute details that would help every novice to not only learn how to code but more importantly how to avoid bugs. The difficulty of assignments rise gradually, which again is a sign of how amazingly this course has been designed. Kudos and thanks to the team of Coursera and Vanderbilt University !!

By Huanglei P

Jun 08, 2017

The course is well organized, and the instructor gives nice lecture and clear examples. The mentors are very conscientious and helpful, when I met troubles in homework and put them on the forum, the mentors answered my questions very quickly, which surprised me a lot! Some assignments in homework did struggle me for a long time, but when I finally solved the problems , I was ravished with joy just like completing levels in games! In a word, I really enjoy the process of programming with MATLAB in this course.

By Eric B

Jul 02, 2019

I've used Matlab for over 20 years, but I have never really tried to program with it. Truth is, I haven't really tried my hand at any programming after my first course in programming (C++). If I had taken a course taught like this one, I might be a programmer today! The lectures are entertaining and interesting, and the assignments are difficult enough that you have to do research (well, I did), which I believe is appropriate for a course like this. Than you for helping this old dog learn a few new tricks!

By Yifan Z

Nov 03, 2017

I had used Matlab for my other courses before I signed up for this course, so I came with a little background of Matlab to this course, with the purpose of solidifying what I knew about Matlab. To my surprise, this course has taught me a lot of concepts that I've never encountered before! And I like this course especially because they provide their answers to each question. It is so helpful to learn how to write neat code from others. The discussion forums are helpful too! I wish you enjoy this course!

By TEJAS M

Mar 23, 2019

I had no prior knowledge of MATLAB , and was in search of a basic course for the same.One of my friend referred me this course and showed me few of the videos .The teaching style instantly attracted me and in no time here i am enrolled for the course.There is no one in this whole world who can teach better for this particular course other than the one in the video.I am like super satisfied by the course and thank you for your hard work put in to make us learn MATLAB with ease.Lots of love from INDIA.

By Junda L

Dec 19, 2016

Excellent course for the introduction to programming and MATLAB! The lecture is great and explains clearly though sometime it is a little boring. It covert a lot of details about MATLAB than the workshop taken at my home university.

The disscusion forum is one of the best I have experienced at Coursera. The reply by mentors is so quick to make the discussion forum really helpful.

The assignment is easy at first but it is a bit challenging in the end.

All in all , I strongly recommend this course.

By Justin L

Jan 06, 2020

Very enjoyable, after finishing this course I am much more familiar with how to program in MATLAB, and feel confident that I can achieve anything I want to do with it. The course starts off gently, but gets relatively steep in difficulty towards the end. The lead instructor had a dry but funny sense of humour which helped me stay alert whilst learning, and the staff in the forums were very helpful. If you want to learn a bit about programming and/or learn MATLAB, this course is excellent!

By David M C

Mar 12, 2017

Curso muy bien estructurado, con aprendizaje progresivo hasta obtener un nivel bastante elevado en las últimas semanas.

Los vídeos son amenos a la vez que útiles aunque los ejercicios son la base del aprendizaje de este curso.

Lo recomendaría a cualquier perfil cientifico-técnico que vaya a utilizar MATLAB a diario.

Aviso: los problemas requieren de conocimiento matemático notable, por lo que si flojeas en este ámbito te costará bastante resolver los problemas en el tiempo estimado.

By Binay C

Feb 23, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have done so far. I am thankful to the entire team of Vanderbilt university and Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick for such an amazing course. The course content, delivery and specially Grader has been designed in a beautiful way that kept me moving with the flow and motivated me to complete all assignments. Hats off to Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick and entire team.

Request you to please come up with course on Advance Matlab programming and Simulink as well.

By Lennart B

Apr 02, 2019

For me this was an excellent start using Matlab. The content was presented very concise and clear. The grading system is very nice and the homework assignments did match the increasing knowledge. Overall I really enjoyed this course and would therefor rate it excellent! Thanks to everyone how helped making this course possible.

If I could state what I missed: I know this course is meant to be an introduction but a few more real application examples would have been nice.

By Jesus

Sep 19, 2019

I loved the course. But sometimes statements or sentences to explain the exercises are too difficult to understand for non-native English speaker (and that was especially noticeable in the last exercises, i.e., in week 9). The videos are pretty clear and pedagogical, but it would be quite good to improve those sections into the lessons. Lastly, I would also like to acknowledge the great work did by the Fitzpatrick professor: Congratulations, and thank you so much!

By Gustavo A S

Oct 06, 2019

Muy buen curso. Al principio parece un poco aburrido porque comienza con (lo que para mí parecen) cuestiones muy elementales. Pero poco a poco comienzan a surgir problemas más complejos y los últimos ejercicios ya requieren el nivel que esperaba del curso. Una excelente opción para iniciarse (o reiniciarse) en Matlab. El libro que acompaña al curso trae material complementario y es una opción recomendable. En definitiva, un buen curso introductorio a Matlab.

By Paloma G G

Aug 25, 2017

Excellent course to introduce yourself in programming language. Lessons through videos are really clear and explained as simple as possible; so nobody should have no problem, even without any preovious experience. Furthermore, the ebook offered by the teacher is very helpful and can improve your formation and solve some doubts. Tasks are quite challenging but you can learn a lot from them.

I am very satisfied with the whole course and I strongly recommend it.

By sean t

Aug 04, 2017

An informative and robust course for anyone wanting to better understand MATLAB and programming in general. The presentation and wit of Dr. Fitzpatrick is welcome as he eases you into the world of computer coding. Some topics were just grazed, such as structs and cell arrays, as well as file formatting, but the fundamentals were explored in great detail. Overall, it is an essential for better understanding MATLAB and anything involving computer programs.

By Froilán F F

Dec 26, 2016

This course is a very practical way of learning step-by-step this phantastic language and its environment. It also helps to learn some MatLab-way algorithmics. The serious and ironical at the same time style of Professor Fitzpatrick have made this course even more amusing for me. Challenging homeworks and accurate video explanations make this course great. I am looking forward you to make an advanced course and a Simulink one too if possible. Good work!

By André d V C

Oct 02, 2016

Amazing course! One of the best I've done in my life. Very well designed, structured and lectured. The subjects are divided in a manner that helps you improve in computer science from zero to where you need to go. But I think if you have some knowledge about program languages and numerical calculus it will help you improve faster. But it's undoubtedly how great this course is. Congratulations to Vanderbild University, Professors Fitzpatrick and Ledeczi!

By Aditya R

Jun 13, 2017

The routine of the course is so flexible to learners that they can complete the course in any manner they want. Professor of the course is funny and teaches you like a Beginner, which is good. The syllabus covers most of the topic a programmer needs, so nothing to worry about it. I am looking forward to other MATLAB courses now. This course is definitely recommended if anyone wants to start using MATLAB, it will introduce you to the atmosphere.

By Meghal S

Jun 23, 2016

I like this course very much.

The way of explaining thins is good and innovative.

Mostly I like Homework section, we know that Homework is stressful but I like pattern of homework which is motivating for doing homework.

Although I enrolled very late I like this course very much.

This course improves logical thinking but hard attention is needed.

I would like to attend other courses if release in future.

Thanks A lot Professors and Mentors......

By Gaurav A S

Mar 28, 2019

I have been using MATLAB for some time, yet this course did not cease to amaze me by teaching the fundamentals of the language. In fact, I am feeling that I did not know a few MATLAB basics before doing this course. I wish I had done this introductory course earlier to improve my programming skills. I am very sure that leanings from this one are going to help me in my career.

p.s. - Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick is the coolest tutor I have ever seen.

By María J S G

Jul 10, 2017

Me ha parecido un curso muy recomendable y muy interesante para todos los estudiantes universitarios y quizás de Bachillerato, aunque el nivel no es muy sencillo, que necesiten hacer realizar cálculos matemáticos y programar funciones matemáticas en general y en particular de Algebra, Cálculo o bien que necesiten programación para resolución de problemas de Física , Química u otras Ciencias experimentales que requieran de cálculo matricial.

By Prajwal T

Feb 06, 2019

This course is really awesome , i have never thought that i would be able to learn MATLAB. But thanks to this course I finally achieve this . This course is really essential to those who might use MATLAB in future indirectly like in machine learning . This course really helps me to solve the problems in an efficient way like solving problem through vectorization and etc.

Lastly thank you to the whole team for providing this course.

By Robin

Sep 16, 2017

This was a great course. I already learned a bit of MATLAB during my studies and enjoyed it at the time, but I found that I was lacking some core skills. This course was both entertaining and challenging at the same time. I recommended this course to a few people already! Although I'd say that you might need more time to solve the problems than stated in the course, but your milage may vary. Could be that I am just slow, too :-).