Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

226 - 250 of 1,108 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By nikhil k

May 23, 2016

This is a great starting course for programming in MATLAB

By Viviane K

Oct 03, 2016

very good and understandable course. Moves just at the right pace.

By wesam k A

Apr 17, 2017

Very good course as an introductory. Covers basis of programming using MATLAB. The content is very interesting and useful because it shaped a strong basic of MATLAB and make it easy for anyone to finds its own way to go deeper. This my second time as a revision and to complete the Course because last time I have watched downloaded videos.

By Nicolò R

Jun 06, 2016

Fantastic course, challenging. The teachers are awesome

By 许肃照

Jun 13, 2017

course for learning programming.

By Razvan F A

Sep 05, 2017

Excellent. Really helped me at my job.

By Meghal S

Jun 23, 2016

I like this course very much.

The way of explaining thins is good and innovative.

Mostly I like Homework section, we know that Homework is stressful but I like pattern of homework which is motivating for doing homework.

Although I enrolled very late I like this course very much.

This course improves logical thinking but hard attention is needed.

I would like to attend other courses if release in future.

Thanks A lot Professors and Mentors......

By Frank S

May 04, 2018

Great course. The instructor is fantastic. Programming assignments are well designed, interesting and quite challenging. I've learned a lot.

By zeeshan H

Oct 24, 2017

Great course. Learnt a lot from it.

By Hong H N

Jun 27, 2016

It is a challenging course, but you will receive the amazing help from great instructors and mentors. Recommended for anyone who wants to study programming.

By 鄭昕

Feb 19, 2017

great and inspiring

By Yulan W

Oct 02, 2016

this course is great! It's useful for the beginner!

By Prosenjit S

Jul 24, 2016

good

By Dillon R M

Jul 30, 2017

Very helpful course, interesting and challenging problem sets, helped me get up to speed with MATLAB as a programming environment

By Jiqing H

Jun 23, 2016

Great course for introduction programming of Matlab

By Margaret W

May 21, 2017

As a beginner, I learnt a lot from this course. Professor Fitzpatrick has a very good sense of humor. I enjoyed a lot from learning this course and finishing all the problems.

By Nassir M A

Mar 15, 2017

une superbe introduction à MATLAB

By Patrick S d O

Nov 14, 2016

A very good course for who wants to learn the matlab programming language from the basics. The homework problems are very challenging and the video material are well organized.

By 张争

Feb 09, 2018

good course to learn programming and practice matlab

By Chidi O

Sep 10, 2016

I loved this course, the instructor and the course mentors...... KUdoS

By Tomas I

Sep 26, 2016

Very interesting + well made

By Zhang P

Mar 20, 2017

(1) lectures and example codes are good

(2) assignments have some good questions that make student to become familiar with topics

(3) some assignment problems are not clear. It is hard to even understand what the question asks. You don't know what to do until you have found a discussion post that a tutor explains what the question is. It will be helpful if the assignment could use more narratives and figures to make the questions clear to student.

(4) Some later assignments are hard and may requires more thinking.

(5) It is recommended to have an extra week/lectures videos on Object Oriented Programming. This topic can be optional/not for grades if it is too advanced for some students. However, it is good to have this topic covered in this course, as your lecture explanations are good and assignment questions are the best and optimal way for us to quickly master a topic.

By Jorge A F C

Jul 29, 2017

This course helped me a lot! I started it when at the same time I started with my thesis project, in which I needed to use MATLAB. I only did 5 out of the 7 homeworks, but I saw all the weeks videos. This was because I felt that I had learnt what I needed for my thesis and the 5 homeworks were great enough for my thesis project. I appreciate that people like you share your knowledge and take the time to do this kind of courses.

I didn't finish the MOOC (due to my thesis), but I will finish it after my Thesis defense.

Regards,

Jorge.

By Andres C

Jan 15, 2018

Everything is excellent about this course: videos are very well structured and entertaining. Exercises are sometimes challenging but there is great support and no question has not a quick reply. I highly recommend this course.

By Mehran K

Jul 03, 2017

Great Course

The assignments were perfect. I have learned a lot