Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

MK

Sep 25, 2016

There is much more to MATLAB than what the course can cover. But It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

MS

Apr 08, 2019

Very good course, it has some really mind blowing problem sets. I would suggest everyone to hit the problems with a blank mind, i found completely different ways to solve them, and that was amazing.

101 - 125 of 1,178 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Chabungbam N K

Apr 28, 2019

As a beginner, what I needed was someone to direct me and a platform to practice, which I get here at Coursera in collaboration with Vanderbilt University. And, of course anyone with internet access can join the course for free and learn here (unless you need certificate, for which you will have to pay).

Thank you very much. I will continue to join such programs.

By Mohammadreza N

Aug 20, 2019

I think professor fitzpatrick is one of the best professor in the world. All the section was very easy to learn and they was so helpful for me. All the sections were full of informative points. I think the class was so funny with the jokes that were said. At the last, I miss this lesson and this professor so much and I'm sad that it's over. Wish you the best.

By Kwok N T

Jun 02, 2017

This is a good introduction to MATLAB programming. The lecture is clear and I believe that it is suitable for anyone who is interested, even for those without programming background. The tutorials are easy at the start but it gets so much more difficult towards the end. Overall, I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in MATLAB programming.

By Paul O

Jan 02, 2020

This course deserves 5 stars because the teacher is very thorough. He and his team really put a lot of work into creating an excellent course for beginners. I found it tedious in places because I came to the course with a lot of previous programming experience. This course covers basic programming and MATLAB. I did learn what I need to learn about MATLAB.

By Hermes J D R P

Jun 23, 2019

This course will give you a lot of tools and insights to handle many programming problems using MATLAB. Its content is really interesting and of high quality, despite being just an introductory course. Professor Fitzpatrick is really funny in each lesson and assignments led you to do your best. Thanks a lot to the instructors and Vanderbilt University.

By Joseph A

Jan 02, 2020

I couldn't have enjoyed this course more. The lessons were very well done and the information was presented in a manner that makes it easy to retain. The programming assignments gradually became more and more difficult, but I felt that they really helped me learn MATLAB and gave me a solid programming foundation. Awesome course and highly recommend!

By Jozsef F

Aug 12, 2016

An excellent course with easy-to-follow, very logically built up and useful topics. The presentation style of Professor Fitzpatrick is amazing, he makes even complex things clear and easy to understand, and he makes sure the audience does not get bored at all. If you need to get a solid base in programming and/or using MATLAB you MUST take this course.

By Dennis Q

Jun 17, 2019

Es un curso muy bien diseñado para que el estudiante aprenda y a su vez se divierta con las asignaciones. Es increíble la facilidad con la que se explican los temas, incluso sin tener nociones de programación se puede comprender los temas muy bien. Disfrute cada asignación y aunque algunas fueron un tanto desafiantes fue una experiencia muy agradable.

By Andrew M

Dec 03, 2019

Unbelievable course. The lectures, ebook, homework, and help/feedback in the forum make this an elite learning experience. The course assumes little or no knowledge of programming, and only basic math concepts. I'm so grateful to the instructors who made this course, as it is given me the foundation necessary to take the next steps into data science.

By Pok F C

Jul 10, 2017

Clear Explanation. Good for people without programming background. But MATLAB has very different syntax in some cases from other popular languages. (eg. array index starts from 1 but not 0) These are quite annoying. That's not the problem of the instructor of course. The instructor gives very good lectures! The homework problems are also interesting!

By Undine S

Apr 05, 2019

This course was quite helpful to renew my knowledge on MATLAB and even learn new skills. It forces you to be creative, stick to practical thinking and elegant solutions rather than to lose yourself in endless lengthy loops. I find it very important to be concise when handling matrices, especially large data arrays, so this came in very handy to me.

By Aneesh V

Mar 31, 2018

As the title says, the course focuses on computer programming, or the 'matlab' language. Using this as a tool for learning/doing mathematics is not covered in this course. However, this course is really essential in appreciating the 'matlab' language and of course the documentation is great, so you can easily solve differential equations and stuff.

By Yue Z

Apr 03, 2017

This course is a very basic introductory lesson for beginners who have no previous experience with MATLAB or programming. I really learnt a lot basic knowledge from this course. For people who already knows programming or has some experience, this course will be too easy and you should move to more advanced class. Many thanks to the instructors!!!!

By Rohit S G

Sep 09, 2018

The course is very informative and it takes you from basics to advanced in gradual manner. The assignment problems are really good and challenging. It is a must course for those who want to use MATLAB as a tool for doing projects in various domains. I am using MATAB for mechanical engineering applications. Thank you for such a wonderful course!!!

By Salwa M

Sep 24, 2016

Great Job. It is really a wonderful course. I has very useful information and practice exercises. The book also is easy to read and understood . Thanks so much for this course. Thanks for all instructors and mentors reply on forum. They were always there for support. I hope you can arrange another series of this course for advanced programming.

By Mohammad A

Dec 03, 2017

i do recommend this course for every engineer, MATLAB is a nice tool that helps you analyzing and evaluate your project.

The material throughout this course is handy and easy to understand with those great stuff. But the programming assignment was hard especially the last two assignments.

Thank you very much, you make my engineering life better .

By Fabian R H

Nov 21, 2019

Excelente contenido y problemas a resolver muy interesantes y retadores, algunos se complican si se leen bien. Aprendí a usar mejor la herramienta con conceptos que desconocía

Excellent content and problems to solve very interesting and challenging, some are complicated if read well. I learned to use the tool better with concepts I didn't know.

By Louise C J

Mar 13, 2019

Mike is very detailed in his discussions and examples during his lectures. The occasional humor that he injects during his lectures makes the subject matter less boring (sorry for the lack of a better word) to listen to. This course definitely laid down the necessary foundation that I need to learn to get me up and running with using Matlab.

By wesam k A

Apr 17, 2017

Very good course as an introductory. Covers basis of programming using MATLAB. The content is very interesting and useful because it shaped a strong basic of MATLAB and make it easy for anyone to finds its own way to go deeper. This my second time as a revision and to complete the Course because last time I have watched downloaded videos.

By Chengkai F

Mar 15, 2017

Amazing course!!! This is my first time trying a web-course and also the first time for programming. The lectures are well-prepared and clear. The homework is challenging but not impossible, which enabled me to learn a lot. The friendly mentors response my questions fast and in details, which makes me feel supportive. Highly recommended!

By ayush l

Sep 06, 2016

The course is very helpful in learning the software. It is learner friendly as teacher gives so many examples to make understand the syntax. The course not only enhances software skills but also gives an insight on theoretical concepts. It make different concepts on matrices clear. Last but not the least, Course is very much helpful

By Bernd S

May 17, 2017

I haven't finished the course yet, but I can certainly already say that it is excellent. Prof. Fitzpatrick's pleasant Southern pace and humor — along with the well-structured course design — make this a winner for anyone interested in learning how to use Matlab, as well as a good introduction to basic concepts of linear algebra.

By Shawn L

Aug 21, 2017

Excellent course even for student without any programming foundation!

Sometimes,the Professor's way of teaching has been very interesting and impressive :) . It has really opened a door for me to learn computer science as one of my hobbies.

Looking forward to other courses concerning How to use Matlab to build mathematic models.

By Afaque A

Oct 20, 2019

I am forever grateful to you for letting me have this course. I have been benefited a lot by this.

The course is structured very well for a beginner. There is a brevity of time, however, this course covered many topics and suggested reference book names for other important topics. Thank you Vanderbilt university and Coursera.

By Titus M M

Jun 19, 2016

Excellent course with wonderful explanations and illustrations. The team handling the grader technology has done a very good job too. Last but not the least, the forums for discussions have been eye-openers in the case of a few problems. The mentors have promptly replied to queries in the best possible way.

5 stars from me.