Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

176 - 200 of 3,593 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Adem C

Jan 26, 2019

This is a fantastic course for beginners to learn how to use MATLAB. It teaches from the very basics to the more advanced concepts and has really allowed me to extend my mathematical knowledge into programming. My only issue is with the last 2 assignments being really difficult and hard to achieve a simple pass but other than that this is an exceptional course for anyone in the mathematical field.

By Sagar K P

Jul 14, 2020

I want to thank the course organisation and creation team and Mike Sir for bringing such a wonderful course in such a wonderful manner. It was like a roller coaster ride learning this course. The assignments were like games and at the same time they allowed us to apply what we learnt. I think everyone who wants to create an online course should learn the way this course is designed and organised.

By MD A K

Mar 9, 2020

Coursera has been a platform for people who has interest to learn new things and want to upgrade their carrier. Coursera helped me a lot and this course has given me a broad knowledge of Matlab and it was fun to learn with coursera and had a very worderfull experience to learn this course and at last but not the least lecturers were good and had a very good learning experience to learn from them.

By Shunjie Y

Nov 11, 2018

Although this course is basic, it provides good foundation and knowledge for further study. Many thanks for the instructor, all the mentors and classmates on the weekly homework discussion forum. Without their help and inspiration, I couldn't finish some of those challenging homework questions. And thanks for this MOOC platform (Coursera) to provide me an opportunity to learn such good course.

By Ab

Aug 9, 2016

The teacher is of the highest standard, finally someone who can make the complex, simple and interesting! One of the best planned courses I've seen, this is a course definitely worthy of a fee. What I've learnt in the first 4weeks is beyond what I learnt in 1yr at university. Makes such a difference having a teacher that goes the extra mile to make something complex into easy. Very impressive.

By Himalsha D

Jul 8, 2020

This is very much interesting course.The instructor who conducted this course is so much friendly as i felt like he is a my close friend.For everyone those who are seeking for knowledge about MATLAB this will very much helpful as a beginner.But make sure to have a little bit mathematical background before starting the course specially about matrices.Good foundation to be a MATLAB programmer.

By Chawit K

Apr 13, 2020

"Introduction to Programming with MATLAB" provides me a strong basic understanding of MATLAB. The lectures are easy-to-understand, plus levels of assignments are suitable. Apart from MATLAB, this course gave logical algorithms, problem-solving skills, and basic mathematics. I recommend this course for those who want to quickly learn basic MATLAB while having experienced in other programs.

By MAMIDI P K

Jun 30, 2020

For a beginner, this course is simply superb.They will teach right from the scratch, and they will execute every command in matlab.The assignments are really good. The assignments are like open book exam,we have the documentation for every command ,still we have to work hard and have to think smart.Finally, i am very much satisfied with this course. Eagerly waiting for more such courses.

By Will T

May 12, 2020

Really lovely presentation and examples. Loved the encouragement and gentle humor throughout. My only possible criticism (and I'm sure this was an intentional choice) was that it can be very frustrating in the questions to get something wrong, but not see enough of the tested inputs to understand why. Overall, an excellent course to grant familiarity with Matlab and the tools to do more.

By Tiwalade O

Nov 12, 2018

This is a very interesting and Challenging course which really opened my eyes to see the great possibilities that can be achieved through programming. The tutor was absolutely excellent and the progression of the course was superb.

My most interesting and Engaging part of the course is having to tackle the numerous weekly assignments. Thumbs up to the whole crew from Vanderbilt University

By Cenno F

Sep 5, 2017

No other course explains the programming concepts better. It is explained from a ground up method, giving us the proper foundation. Each and every topic covered in the course was explained in detail, just what an amateur programmer needs. The knowledge of Mike Fitzpatrick is extensive but he doesn't bore us with the excruciating details. Five stars for Mike Fitzpatrick's sense of humor.

By Vikas S

Jul 8, 2020

A really good for diving into the world of computer programming with MATLAB!. A nicely paced course with lot many examples and assignments to test your understanding. Only gripe is that few of the vedios are a bit long and few of the assignments are on the difficult side , you need the help of the internet to solve it. Otherwise this is a really great course in understanding MATLAB!

By Hrushikesh V

This was one of the few courses I enjoyed doing - both during the lectures and the assignments. Some of the lectures are long (around 1 hour), but Prof. Mike makes them so interesting that I hardly noticed as the hour passed by. The assignments get harder towards the end but also much, much more fun. At the end of the course I was able to do much more than I expected to be able to do.

By Prithvi S

The course was easy to follow; the exercise problems were neither too easy, nor too difficult to make you crash out of the course. The textbook suggested for this course goes into more depth and is absolutely recommended for beginners. Prof. Fitzpatrick's folksy humor inspired me to keep going whenever I felt demotivated. I am looking forward to more courses from Prof Fitzpatrick.

By Ponnala R

Absolutely loved the way this course was taught!!. I would recommend this to anyone who is new to programming and wants a clear understanding of fundamentals. The course content was presented articulately and was quite fun to work to work on the assignments. Though I found some of the assignments towards the end to be challenging, I thoroughly enjoyed the process of working on it.

By Mir M

May 22, 2020

It's a very well organized course. Anyone who doesn't have any prior knowledge can start this course and can learn from scratch. This course will guide you step by step to become a MatLab programmer. All the course contents are very easy to understand and can be implemented after learning. If you are looking for a complete and detailed course on MatLab then this course is for you.

By Indranil R

Aug 23, 2019

It was a challenge and an excellent experience overall. The learning experience was made interesting by continuous assignments and certainly the wit and humor of Dr. Fitzpatrick added a completely new dimension to the overall experience. I would like to thank Coursera and the faculties of Vanderbilt University for this amazing opportunity to learn MATLAB and its various functions.

By AO G

Apr 17, 2020

This was quite possible one of the best taught classes I've even taken, on Coursera or at a University. The teacher does a fantastic job of explaining concepts well and setting up online exercises that you can work through. You wouldn't think programming would be easy to teach online, but they did a great job here. Highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to learn Matlab.

By SAQR T

Jun 12, 2019

I'm a postgraduate student and I'm working daily on Matlab. I'm actually grateful for this chance to hone my programming skills in Matlab, the course was full with basic steps to deal with many real problems, in addition there were also some tricks that I learnt here. I believe it is one of the best courses that teach programming skill and the logic behind solving basic problems.

By Hsiang-Yun C

Apr 16, 2017

Great class! The course and the problem sets are both very interesting and reasonably challenging. My only suggestion is that a few of the problems are difficult to understand. If those questions can be described in more plain English, students can solve the problems faster. Nevertheless, the discussion forum is very helpful since all of my questions have been asked and answered.

By Arnav Y

Mar 15, 2021

This course is amazing, and the content is taken from very basic to advanced level with a lot of coding exercises. I loved this course, and I would like to thank the instructor who always tried to make videos more interesting and never felt bored. Overall the experience was amazing throughout the course. Thanks again to all the people involved in creating such an amazing course.

By Biswas K

Jul 28, 2020

A very fabulous course. Best for those who want to have a taste of programming and that too in one of the most dynamic software MATLAB. Course contents are totally up to the mark and the instructor makes the sessions even more interactive and full of learning. Assignments range from basic ones to advanced ones which requires good command over learnt topics and lots of practice.

By Rudy S

Sep 25, 2016

This class was amazing. I finished all of the problems and I think I learned a lot about programming over the course of 3 months. My company uses MatLab for data processing and I needed to learn the basics to understand what is going on. The automated grading is a really nice tool. I feel very confident going forward. Thanks for an awesome course!

Education background: BSc, MBA

By Sheikh M F

I had basic knowledge of matlab before starting the course which helped me to complete this course before time. I really loved the way, this course is organized. I didn't know much about function building but this course allowed me to practice different approaches to a particular problem. Assignments allowed me to understand things even more. Overall it was an amazing course

By Abdelrahman A

Apr 29, 2019

It's a fantastic opportunity for any beginner to programming, especially with matlab. The structure of the course is highly adequate and well organized. The topics are carefully selected. And the assignments are designed in a way that makes it get more challenging while you go through the course, and effectively help practicing the concepts introduced in the video tutorials.