Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT
Nov 21, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR
Dec 21, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

226 - 250 of 566 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Brian A

Jan 12, 2020

In depth tutorials and very clear lectures on the neurophysiology of the human central nervous system and how this helps to understand human behavior

By Aksharkumar D

Feb 13, 2018

If you're beginner in Neuroscience studies, then this is the place. Thanks to Duke University and Coursera for the wonderful opportunity of Learning.

By Claudio G

Sep 30, 2020

Curso excelente, recomendo demais, muito completo, didática excelente, um dos melhores cursos online que já fiz até hoje. Obrigado por tudo pessoal!

By Carmen N M F

Nov 14, 2016

So much interesting. Let me improve my own knowledge about the structure and function of the brain and I might to say that I am a neuro lover jejejj

By Vlad

Jun 10, 2016

Very interesting and challenging course. The instructor is very professional, videos are nice, real brain specimens are amazing. Highly recommended.

By Sikandar K

Mar 16, 2020

Professor Leonard E. White did a great job. I am really pleased to be taught Medial Neuroscience by Sir E. White. Thank You Sir, Thank You Coursera

By Mathuram B

Dec 28, 2016

Professor Len White made the entire course enjoyable. The teaching tools he used was awesome! I will recommend it to other friends and colleagues

By Marco A L E

Aug 7, 2016

Excelente curso, con una secuencia lógica y fácil de seguir, tiene además una gran cantidad de recursos adicionales para reforzar el aprendizaje.

By Felipe F

Jun 11, 2020

I' d like to thanks dr White for the amazing way to teach and a Superb knowledge! He kept me very motivated throughout these quarantine weeks!

By Olga S

Dec 8, 2016

Loved every secondof this course, Prof.White is a truly professional and it`s been an honor to be his student even for a short period of time.

By Grace L

Sep 6, 2016

A great course integrating all the interesting aspects of Neuroscience! Thank you for providing the online learners with such a wonderful c :)

By Simeon R

Feb 16, 2019

Probably the Best Pre-Med Science course on the Web Today! Filled with tons of info that easily rivals a university-level neuroscience class!

By Ramiro R A

Mar 22, 2017

One of the best, if not the best online courses I ever have taken. It is demanding, as neuroscience is. But it deserves the effort, no doubt.

By Senthilkumar A

Jun 28, 2020

Excellent teaching from Mr.White and so proud to be student of him. Now i was very much interested to do further courses under his guidance.

By josuem2306

Sep 6, 2020

Es espectacular la manera en como se explica la Neurociencia desde la base. Requiere voluntad y constancia pero vale la pena totalmente!!!

By Iván F F C

Jul 25, 2020

Amazing course! It really expanded and deepened my understanding of (and love for) neuroscience. Professor White is an incredible teacher!

By Bander A A

Mar 1, 2018

very informative,

i am a neurosurgery resident and i learned a lot from this course.

thanks to all of you for sharing such amazing course.

By Nataliya C

Jun 10, 2020

Just amazing! I am really grateful that I have such an wonderful opportunity! Dr. Leonard is one of the best lecturer I have ever seen.

By Amy L

Mar 10, 2018

This course was amazing and Dr White was an excellent teacher. He continually encourage new ways of learning to stimulate our brains.

By Paulina H R

Jul 8, 2017

Excellent! I loved every single class. Not too dense, not boring at all. Very informative. I really loved it. Ideal for medical field.

By Omer T

Jul 14, 2019

It was such a wonderful experience, it was hard but i enjoyed it and i hopping that the certificate will help me in my medical career

By Shybaieva R

Dec 3, 2017

Great course, many thanks to prof.White for your inactivity and curiosity throughout all learning videos, it was very inspirational!

By Dr. T S

Jun 15, 2020

excellent. awaiting the next edition of this course and the announced course about neuroscience, perception, action and the brain.

By Ana R P

Sep 17, 2018

Exploring the course to understand a bit more about neuroscience. Thank you so much to my instructors for instructing Ana Pelayo.

By Rafail K

Mar 16, 2017

Extremely interesting, stimulating, providing great detail, well-organized as well as demanding and challenging. Simply inspiring