Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

DW
Sep 27, 2020

Well organized and informative content. Dr. Wilson was an engaging and knowledgeable faculty member; I look forward to enrolling in another course under his leadership.\n\nCalvin E Woodland, EdD, PsyD

PB
Sep 27, 2021

I used to be in a statistics career field and use some of that knowledge for this course. I absolutely feel like it's easier to spot fraud and will help me have a critical eye for so many other areas!

101 - 125 of 504 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Vern G

May 7, 2021

I work as a Health coach and need to read many medical articles in order to speak about the most recent science. This course helped me navigate the medical literature with more confidence.

Excellent professor. Very interesting to listen to and the content was easy to follow and very helpful

By Karen G

Dec 1, 2020

Engaging and thoughtful content, the analogies and humor were especially interesting, which made a subject I was not very familiar with feel as though I could learn more about it. Excellent delivery by Dr. Wilson and I'm excited to have gained so many valuable skills in such a short time!

By Carlos D J R

Nov 29, 2020

It is an awesome course to completely understand all those difficult terms and concepts that we hear a lot in med school. I think you need to have a basic knowledge of the subjects in order to ge the most of the course. Totally recommend it. Es un excelente curso, vale mucho la pena.

By Madeline D

Apr 21, 2021

Everyone, regardless of scientific background, should take this course! The course covers all the crucial aspects of critical thinking when it comes to understanding medical research in a way that is not only interesting and engaging, but also really easy for anyone to understand!

By Linda V

Mar 14, 2021

This is the very best course I have ever taken. The material was presented in an understandable and engaging manner. I have already recommended it to friends. I know it will help me greatly with the current medical issues I am facing as well as those in the future. Thank you!

By Shweta K

Jun 28, 2020

Research has been a dreaded subject for me always.I felt it was boring and something that I cannot think of doing.

Thank you sir for making it so interesting for me.The kind of examples you shared, the simplicity of the course helped me in understanding it in a much better way.

By Phyllis B

Feb 14, 2021

This is an outstanding course. It strongly reinforces existing statistical knowledge as well as develops that knowledge where it is just beginning. Additionally, it provides an understanding of medical research and reports of research findings. I highly recommend this course.

By KALA G

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent, excellent course led by an extremely capable and articulate teacher. I discovered the reticent, inner student in me during this experience. The minimal math gave me no more than a few minutes of dry mouth and fleeting headache. I highly recommend this course.

By Rupok C

Sep 10, 2020

I am overwhelmed with the witty presentations on research terminologies by the Instructor. He linked all those key definitions with published articles that a medical researcher must know. Highly recommended for all the people who love research and statistical analysis.

By Christine M L

Dec 16, 2020

This course was very intense but so much fun. Prof Perry does a wonderful job of of using real world examples to help us understand the concepts. Recommended to all people, especially Journalists!, who want to understand the facts about Medical Research Studies

By Laura G

Jun 15, 2020

This is a very well created course, both the support material and explanations are of high quality with current examples (even it was updated with some very recent COVID studies), if thta were nos enough, the course is extremely funy as well! Totally worth it

By Brenda W

Feb 3, 2021

Very enjoyable course. It is presented with a level of levity to peels away the often overwhelming fear associated with this type of course. I certainly learned a great deal. Dr. Wilson has a knack for keeping you engaged even with mind-boggling information.

By Leona P

Sep 4, 2020

This covers what we learned in medical school but makes it understandable, friendly and even fun! 100% recommended to do the course and when I forget these things again, I will happily come back and revise. Prof. Perry is a great teacher. Thank you for this!

By Barbara

Jul 17, 2020

Fantastic course: great information in bite-sized installments, the instructor is super clear, very knowledgeable and highly engaging. I loved both the real examples and the funny and down-to-earth experiments on campus. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Many thanks.

By Jessica G

Jun 11, 2020

It is an amazing course with great explanation and examples by Dr. Wilson. Everything is explained clearly and in depth, facilitating learning of understanding medical research. It gave me such an extensive insight into various aspects of medical studies.

By Ummu H

Jun 24, 2020

words can't express how much this course has helped me and my research. I can now be confident about what I publish. the professor has done a tremendous job with the lectures and I recommend everyone to please go through every aspect of every lecture.

By Christine H

Jun 9, 2020

What an excellent course! Prof. Wilson is an amazing presenter who used vivid and interesting examples to introduce and elaborate on the complex concepts of medical research. I'm looking forward to taking another course that is taught by Prof. Wilson.

By Giannina Z

Jul 26, 2020

I cannot thank Dr. Perry enough. This course was a godsend. I feel way more prepared to understand the studies I read, particularly under the current pandemic, as I strive to go straight to the source as opposed to trust whatever people send or post.

By Gloria G

Jun 8, 2020

I have enjoyed this course. I am more aware of the terms and phrases used in medical research papers and am better able to interpret what the researchers/authors mean. I am able to apply my scepticism of what I read in a logical and reasonable way.

By Daniel S

Jul 4, 2020

Dr Wilson is engaging and thorough throughout his course. It's a lot to absorb, but his ability to distill the key components of medical literature to the layperson helps to ease what can feel like overwhelming information. It's beyond impressive.

By Heather B

Aug 26, 2020

I loved this course!!! Every concept was explained in a manner that made it easy for me to understand. I appreciated the humor, great examples, and interesting visual aids. I'm going to miss Dr. Wilson and I hope he teaches more courses!!!!

By Iliya B

Jul 3, 2021

Informative and witty! Was so enjoyable auditing this course and it gave me so much more critical view when interpreting information. Thank you for making this course available to everyone, this is the way to make a difference! Thanks again!

By Alexandra O

Nov 23, 2020

The best course I ever took not only on coursera, but also in real life (graduated medicine school). Congratulations to Dr. Perry Wilson and his team. Life would be so much more insightful if I were to be educated by more people such as you!

By Kwok-Zu L

Nov 16, 2020

Great course and well laid-out, not an easy course to present in these limited modules. More examples of papers/research which are good or not up to par could be presented to help illustrate the concepts of critiquing research papers.

By Olesya F

Sep 4, 2020

Great course, great presenter! Complex statistical concepts explained with clear examples. Lots of fun too as claimed by the author. Lots of useful information to digest no and try to remember and use while reading medical articles :-)