Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

JM
Aug 1, 2020

Excellent course for physical therapists wanting to learn how to critically review the research literature. For those of us who completed physical therapy school > 15 years ago, this course is a must!

LT
Apr 29, 2020

I enjoy studying this course , the material and video example are well made ,and easy to understand too . Overall this course is great and really helpful it also help me improve on my judgement skill.

101 - 125 of 449 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By KALA G

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent, excellent course led by an extremely capable and articulate teacher. I discovered the reticent, inner student in me during this experience. The minimal math gave me no more than a few minutes of dry mouth and fleeting headache. I highly recommend this course.

By Rupok C

Sep 10, 2020

I am overwhelmed with the witty presentations on research terminologies by the Instructor. He linked all those key definitions with published articles that a medical researcher must know. Highly recommended for all the people who love research and statistical analysis.

By Christine M L

Dec 16, 2020

This course was very intense but so much fun. Prof Perry does a wonderful job of of using real world examples to help us understand the concepts. Recommended to all people, especially Journalists!, who want to understand the facts about Medical Research Studies

By Laura G

Jun 15, 2020

This is a very well created course, both the support material and explanations are of high quality with current examples (even it was updated with some very recent COVID studies), if thta were nos enough, the course is extremely funy as well! Totally worth it

By Brenda W

Feb 3, 2021

Very enjoyable course. It is presented with a level of levity to peels away the often overwhelming fear associated with this type of course. I certainly learned a great deal. Dr. Wilson has a knack for keeping you engaged even with mind-boggling information.

By Leona P

Sep 4, 2020

This covers what we learned in medical school but makes it understandable, friendly and even fun! 100% recommended to do the course and when I forget these things again, I will happily come back and revise. Prof. Perry is a great teacher. Thank you for this!

By Barbara

Jul 17, 2020

Fantastic course: great information in bite-sized installments, the instructor is super clear, very knowledgeable and highly engaging. I loved both the real examples and the funny and down-to-earth experiments on campus. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Many thanks.

By Jessica G

Jun 11, 2020

It is an amazing course with great explanation and examples by Dr. Wilson. Everything is explained clearly and in depth, facilitating learning of understanding medical research. It gave me such an extensive insight into various aspects of medical studies.

By Ummu H

Jun 24, 2020

words can't express how much this course has helped me and my research. I can now be confident about what I publish. the professor has done a tremendous job with the lectures and I recommend everyone to please go through every aspect of every lecture.

By Christine H

Jun 9, 2020

What an excellent course! Prof. Wilson is an amazing presenter who used vivid and interesting examples to introduce and elaborate on the complex concepts of medical research. I'm looking forward to taking another course that is taught by Prof. Wilson.

By Giannina Z

Jul 26, 2020

I cannot thank Dr. Perry enough. This course was a godsend. I feel way more prepared to understand the studies I read, particularly under the current pandemic, as I strive to go straight to the source as opposed to trust whatever people send or post.

By Gloria G

Jun 8, 2020

I have enjoyed this course. I am more aware of the terms and phrases used in medical research papers and am better able to interpret what the researchers/authors mean. I am able to apply my scepticism of what I read in a logical and reasonable way.

By Daniel S

Jul 4, 2020

Dr Wilson is engaging and thorough throughout his course. It's a lot to absorb, but his ability to distill the key components of medical literature to the layperson helps to ease what can feel like overwhelming information. It's beyond impressive.

By Heather B

Aug 26, 2020

I loved this course!!! Every concept was explained in a manner that made it easy for me to understand. I appreciated the humor, great examples, and interesting visual aids. I'm going to miss Dr. Wilson and I hope he teaches more courses!!!!

By Alexandra O

Nov 23, 2020

The best course I ever took not only on coursera, but also in real life (graduated medicine school). Congratulations to Dr. Perry Wilson and his team. Life would be so much more insightful if I were to be educated by more people such as you!

By Kwok-Zu L

Nov 16, 2020

Great course and well laid-out, not an easy course to present in these limited modules. More examples of papers/research which are good or not up to par could be presented to help illustrate the concepts of critiquing research papers.

By Olesya F

Sep 4, 2020

Great course, great presenter! Complex statistical concepts explained with clear examples. Lots of fun too as claimed by the author. Lots of useful information to digest no and try to remember and use while reading medical articles :-)

By Comfort A

Aug 24, 2020

Excellent course, well put together, interesting presenter with the ability to take complex concepts and explain them in simple terms. I am a lot more confident about interpreting medical research after having gone through the course.

By Don C

Jul 12, 2020

That was so informative and well laid out. I've attempted to read studies in the past and now I have a basis of understanding of the different types and methods. Not to mention an understanding of how to tell the good from the bad.

By Aedrian A

Jan 11, 2021

This is an excellent concise practical guide to clinical statistics and epidemiology, and evidence-based medicine. Everyone, casual learners or experts alike, who are interested or working in this field will find this course useful.

By Rachel T L

Nov 15, 2020

Wonderful course, thoroughly enjoyed it, would come back to it from time to time to refresh my memory about what i've learned so hoping it would still be accessible then. Hope Professor Perry will create more courses such as this.

By Vinita R

Jul 25, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the journey, and have learnt so much of the medical jargons. The course has helped me understand and analyze the medical research papers in a better way.

Thank You for providing an amazing learning experience.

By MCQUEEN M

Nov 1, 2020

A wonderful course to get to the basics of medical studies. It promotes interest in a subject which I once was disinterested in. The presenter Dr Perry Wilson was very engaging and knowledgeable. Wishing the entire team well.

By Joseph B A

Oct 20, 2020

An excellent look at statistics and medical research through the lense of a medical professional. There are fun anecdotes and the course flows in a very coherent way. This was a breeze to understand and enjoyable to complete.

By Joy B

Excellent course. I liked the non-medical references used to explain ideas. I LOVED the interviews. My only complaint is that when the instructor moved to a different board it took a bit of time for the camera to follow him.