Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

LT
Apr 29, 2020

I enjoy studying this course , the material and video example are well made ,and easy to understand too . Overall this course is great and really helpful it also help me improve on my judgement skill.

151 - 175 of 503 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Paul B

Sep 28, 2021

I used to be in a statistics career field and use some of that knowledge for this course. I absolutely feel like it's easier to spot fraud and will help me have a critical eye for so many other areas!

By Ольга В

Jul 3, 2021

просто вау! Нереально потрясающий курс! огромная благодарность доктору и его команде за этот курс! я занимаюсь научными исследованиями, но этот курс дает просто потрясающие систематизированные знания!

By Elaine E

May 23, 2021

I am no academic but I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I liked that I was able to try again if I wasn't satisfied with my results.

Just a little aside here.. the professor.. can any man be so perfect?

By Linda H

Mar 2, 2021

Informative, entertaining. Great content.. (a lot of very important content). The instructor provided excellent examples to capture our attention and help us retain concepts more easily. Thank you!

By Amr M S s

Aug 23, 2020

It is a pretty good course to begin sailing in the tricky sea of research :D but you will need more in-depth courses to fully understand and write in medical literature , specially on biostatistics .

Jun 8, 2020

Excellent overview of understanding how to read and interpret medical studies.

I've been skeptical about how medical studies are portrayed in the news, and now I have some tools to better assess them.

By Deb B G

Aug 29, 2020

Such a timely course as the news is filled with research study after research study with, sometimes, competing results. Never before have I heard "pre-print" and "not peer reviewed" so frequently.

By Simon F

Jun 17, 2020

Clear, engaging and great fun. There might be some optional supplementary theoretical readings, not just medical papers. The exams are jokes. The lecture transcripts badly need proofreading.

By Donchenko T

Jun 18, 2020

Very exciting course, although quite difficult sometimes. Mr. Wilson is the best Professor I've ever seen. His sense of humor and cheerfulness in presenting the course helped me complete it

By Max H

Aug 11, 2020

Great Couse! The information is very useful and easy to understand. It is also presented in a way that is not boring and not too complicated. Everything was very informative and enjoyable!

By Don M

Feb 20, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! It provided me with many great insights and provided some great tools to decipher medical research papers. Thank you for providing this great course!

By Ömer F Ö

Jul 12, 2020

Change the Course name. I am a medical proffesional wnhich took biostatistics lessons at collage. This course is more informative than lessons. So it should be targeted to proffesionals.

By Tere J

Jun 10, 2020

I loved the course, Dr. Wilson was explicit, easy to understand, funny and great presentation in every week, I'm really happy with the course, because I'm learned a lot in this course.

By ALLEN J R

May 9, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! That must mean I am weird, but proof awaits a properly performed statistical study of the population who also "attended" the program.

Allen J Rovner, MD

By Shanaya P

Jul 23, 2020

Perfect for an absolute beginner and anyone who reads medical literature but really has no idea what is happening. Strongly reccomended as it is short and fun but very informative.

By rolande s

Jan 15, 2021

Excellent. All: Format, Presentation; Pace; Quizzes reinforced learning; Goals and Summaries Take-aways. Examples were relevant, real-world and Related to current affairs (Covid )

By John K

Dec 30, 2020

Initially I thought that I had bitten off more than I could chew, but in the long run, it was very interesting. I certainly am better equipped to read a medical research paper.

By Rathnayaka M N C N R

Nov 29, 2020

Great nicely arranged course with very clear slides ...Thank you all....Good luck and I'm highly recommended this course who are planning to do a research on medical field....

By Harshitha R

Jul 17, 2020

The best course I've done on Coursera so far! Thank you Dr.Wilson for being so informative and captivating in your teaching methods, I am truly delighted to be more informed!

By Anastasis A

Jun 7, 2020

Incredibly engaging course with concise descriptions of often complex topics. If you're looking for a crash-course approach to medical literature, this is the course for you!

By Molly S

Jul 31, 2020

So much information! It feels dense, but it is very useful, and the examples are fun and applicable! The professor / lectures are engaging and use great visuals. Well done!

By Leonardo M

I really enjoy this course, the way concepts are presented makes it easy to understand them.

I hope there will be more courses in the future deepening the concepts learned.

By Kieu T H

Sep 12, 2020

The course is amazing. I have already known some information before the course, but It is very clear after study. Thank you, Professor and look forward to your new course.

By janeshead

Jul 20, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. The prof is very engaging and made the concepts clear and understandable. I feel much more confident in reading studies I find in the news now.

By Jelli K

Jan 4, 2021

Sign up originally to understand better relative & absolute risk, and found A Great overview of how to understand Medical Research , makes you think of the finer details.