Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

LT
Apr 29, 2020

I enjoy studying this course , the material and video example are well made ,and easy to understand too . Overall this course is great and really helpful it also help me improve on my judgement skill.

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

76 - 100 of 445 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Claudia

Oct 30, 2020

Fun way to highlight the important takeaways when reading preprints and peer reviewed studies. Makes statistics easy to digest. Reminds participants about conflicts of interest and retractions. Puts headlines in perspective. Wish this class had been available decades ago in nursing school. Statistics was required then but never put in context.

By Janna O

Oct 2, 2020

This was one of the best lectures I ever experienced during my whole life as a student in university. I've learned more about statistics and studies then I have learned in my entire time at my "normal" university. I also improved my English reading skills. Now I'm going to write my master thesis without any doubts about studies and research!

By Yuka K

Sep 9, 2020

The course is above my expectation and far different from the other statistics courses I have taken or books I have read. The lecturer taught me the importance of examining every research article critically, even published in renowned journals. There are lots of helpful contents, which I am going to review again for further understanding.

By Penelope L C

Sep 29, 2020

This is a long course, and it requires lots of attention but it is packed full of goodies. You do get another crack at the questions so that actually helps to cement the information in your head.

As people will sell you lots of things. make sure you do this course so you can understand what it is meant by "Backed by scientific studies."

By Yolany L B

Jun 8, 2020

This professor makes fun jokes that keeps me entertained, while providing valuable information in regards to research. This course is not only understanding medical research, but in other areas that I can incorporate what I learned in this class to other fields such as psychology and political science. Thanks for this course professor.

By Sabrina I

Aug 11, 2020

This course was wonderful; I feel more prepared to read medical manuscripts and research journals. I also brushed up on my statistical skills, which was a good review. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to expand their research knowledge while enjoying Dr. Perry's sense of humor. Thank you for the great course, Dr. Perry!

By DrMohamed M A

Sep 4, 2020

This was really a great course, I actually learned a lot about medical research. Now I can personally read and criticize published papers, I know where to read the peer reviewed articles and I can prove that my Facebook friend is wrong. And most importantly I can do my own studies. Many thanks to Dr F.Perry Wilson and the team.

By Maria S

Dec 12, 2020

This professor is very engaging, his "data gathering" on the Yale campus was entertaining. His energy and examples made the course enjoyable and helped me to understand the concepts being taught. I'm still not a statistical expert but I now know that in some cases I may need to more closely review medical research results.

By Dr. A U

Oct 10, 2020

I’m writing just a quick note to say that I throughly enjoyed your class and it was never a chore to attend a class. I always learned something that challenged my perspectives and enjoyed doing so! Thank you, again, for such a wonderful learning experience, and I hope to learn from you again in the future semesters!”

Dr Anam

By Christine T

Apr 14, 2021

Not my favorite subject or class, I was not looking forward to the experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the engaging presentation of the course. It takes real skill to take a class about medical research and make it digestible. The instructor is quite engaging, stylish, part game show host and smart.

By Maria E G S

Oct 11, 2020

Dr. Perry is very engaging as an instructor and he manages to simplify the concepts in such a way that it can be understood even by those who are not in the medical field. The examples for each video are also fun. The quizzes are very challenging so you have to listen very carefully as he explains each concept.

By Liliana B N

Feb 13, 2021

Este es un gran curso. Realmente lo recomiendo a todo aquello que desee saber cómo interpretar adecuadamente la literatura científica. El profesor siempre busca ejemplos que hacen fácil la compresión de los temas y es muy amable. Realmente se nota el trabajo y la dedicación en la preparación de este curso.

By Steve R

Nov 2, 2020

I just finished the course and it was one of the best I've taken on Coursera. Dr. Wilson was extremely knowledgeable, engaging and fun. The organization and presentation of the course was excellent...just the right degree of detail and complexity. Thanks so much to everyone that worked on this course.

By Eduardo R

Apr 9, 2021

It is the most interesting and fun research course I have ever attended. It provides information that is important with eye-catching details that are not always available in classes or books.

It is 100% worth the effort to take the course. The information provided changes the perception of research,

By Charles S G

Apr 21, 2021

Most of my previous knowledge in these matters was earned in the trenches through "on the job training." This course summarized the big picture and clarified/simplified for me the critical items necessary to judge the value and importance to give to a particular study. Thank you for the experience.

By Patricia P

Jul 19, 2020

Having had the chance to really get a glimpse of how Medical Research works, I believe that the knowledge you can acquire from this course is crucial not only for your future career, but also for your analytical approach. Loved going through the details with Professor Perry Wilson. We all thank you !

By Lloyd J

Jun 8, 2020

Enjoyed the way that this course presented the information. The examples used thru the course helped to reinforce the topic being presented. The presentation style of Perry is great, with his obvious real life knowledge of the topic at hand aiding to the course. Highly recommend this course.

By Karen G

Dec 1, 2020

Engaging and thoughtful content, the analogies and humor were especially interesting, which made a subject I was not very familiar with feel as though I could learn more about it. Excellent delivery by Dr. Wilson and I'm excited to have gained so many valuable skills in such a short time!

By Carlos D J R

Nov 29, 2020

It is an awesome course to completely understand all those difficult terms and concepts that we hear a lot in med school. I think you need to have a basic knowledge of the subjects in order to ge the most of the course. Totally recommend it. Es un excelente curso, vale mucho la pena.

By Madeline D

Apr 21, 2021

Everyone, regardless of scientific background, should take this course! The course covers all the crucial aspects of critical thinking when it comes to understanding medical research in a way that is not only interesting and engaging, but also really easy for anyone to understand!

By Linda V

Mar 14, 2021

This is the very best course I have ever taken. The material was presented in an understandable and engaging manner. I have already recommended it to friends. I know it will help me greatly with the current medical issues I am facing as well as those in the future. Thank you!

By Shweta K

Jun 28, 2020

Research has been a dreaded subject for me always.I felt it was boring and something that I cannot think of doing.

Thank you sir for making it so interesting for me.The kind of examples you shared, the simplicity of the course helped me in understanding it in a much better way.

By Phyllis B

Feb 14, 2021

This is an outstanding course. It strongly reinforces existing statistical knowledge as well as develops that knowledge where it is just beginning. Additionally, it provides an understanding of medical research and reports of research findings. I highly recommend this course.

By KALA G

Jun 15, 2020

Excellent, excellent course led by an extremely capable and articulate teacher. I discovered the reticent, inner student in me during this experience. The minimal math gave me no more than a few minutes of dry mouth and fleeting headache. I highly recommend this course.

By Rupok C

Sep 10, 2020

I am overwhelmed with the witty presentations on research terminologies by the Instructor. He linked all those key definitions with published articles that a medical researcher must know. Highly recommended for all the people who love research and statistical analysis.