Back to Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome by University of Colorado Boulder

Imagine if there were an organ in your body that weighed as much as your brain, that affected your health, your weight, and even your behavior. Wouldn’t you want to know more about it? There is such an organ — the collection of microbes in and on your body, your human microbiome....

AF
Feb 10, 2017

Very informative! Everybody should take this course, to know more about their own microbiome...\n\nThe first lessons are not so exciting, but hang in there! The most interesting parts come later ;)

G
Jun 30, 2018

It was a good experience, and while I'm not too big on microbiology in general, I was intrigued in the role our microbiome plays in our lives. The summer I did this changed my life in a way. :)

276 - 290 of 290 Reviews for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

By Isabelle d P

May 4, 2016

Knowledgeable course taught by great teachers!

By Paramita S

May 27, 2017

The course was informative and worth taking.

By Renate G

Feb 17, 2018

Clear, entertaining, interesting, varied.

By Shaun C

Feb 14, 2019

Good overview of an interesting subject.

By Mirko H

Apr 2, 2019

Very good introduction course.

By trish d

Aug 21, 2015

very interesting

By Giovanni F

Mar 1, 2017

Nice course

By Suzanne S

Sep 10, 2015

In general this was an easy, interesting and enjoyable course, Video interviews and lectures by key researchers in this exciting field were a highlight. It's an introductory course so not deep, but fun.

A couple of things significantly detracted from the course for me.

One was a feeling of unqualified evangelism. I think the microbiome is indeed a hugely important field, but the level of hype here, and lack of any critical perspective, was off-putting. This is particularly disturbing for products like probiotics, which have become a huge industry with little solid evidence to support them, or to choose between them. Also, they devote a lot of time to selling the American Gut Project. Which is a good cause, but I would rather they had spent that time teaching me something useful. I resent being duped into watching ads when I've signed up to be educated.

The other thing that bothered me was the course required us to divulge a lot of personal information to other students in pointless, time-consuming projects. I didn't learn anything from these projects and found them annoying.

By Duygu B

Sep 12, 2020

The pace is not sufficient, especially in the first class. She talks so fast that I cannot catch up and have to pause every ten sec. for note-taking. Also, she is like reading from the screen, which is not looking professional. For the other classes that I take on Coursera, I didn't encounter this. But the topic is interesting for me, and I really want to learn so that I will continue. I hope this problem will be gone as I move forward.

By Sandra H ( J

Less detailed information then expected but great for people that don't have any knowledge about (gut) microbiota yet

By bill w

Oct 15, 2021

I enjoyed this course and would recommend it.

Bill Whelan

By arinn w

Dec 29, 2016

the information was presented so slowly that it was hard to follow. i have taken a couple other introductory biology/genetics courses so some of the information was familiar, but i (and a friend who watched over my shoulder) found the videos nearly unwatchable due to the slow pace the presenters were speaking

By Mark

Jun 23, 2018

Extremely clear presentations by the researchers, but loses 2 stars for relying on assignments based on Google Docs which did not load properly and resulted in me not being able to complete the course.

By Roy A E

Jan 8, 2016

Very disappointed in this course. It is more of an infomercial for American Gut than an actual course. Additional knowledge gained was very little.

By Doug H

Aug 29, 2016

I was denied completion of this course because a fellow course taker felt the need to "grade" unfairly. I suggest all "peers" keep in mind we are here to learn not to be judge so critically. The spirit of the course was destroyed by a thoughtless action. If you wish to be critical that's fine but at least have the courage to leave feedback for me to review. Coward.