Back to De-Mystifying Mindfulness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for De-Mystifying Mindfulness by Universiteit Leiden

Interest in meditation, mindfulness, and contemplation has grown exponentially in recent years. Rather than being seen as mystical practices from ancient Buddhism or esoteric philosophy, they are increasingly seen as technologies rooted in evidence from psychology and neuroscience. Mindfulness has become the basis for numerous therapeutic interventions, both as a treatment in healthcare and as a means of enhancing well-being and happiness. For millions around the world, mindfulness has become a life-style choice, enhancing and enriching everyday experience. Mindfulness is big business. But, what actually is mindfulness? Is it really good for you? Can anyone learn it? How can you recognize charlatans? Would you want to live in a mindful society, and would it smell like sandalwood? What does it feel like to be mindful? Are you mindful already, and how would you know? Evolving from the popular Honours Academy course at Leiden University, this innovative course combines conventional scholarly inquiry from multiple disciplines (ranging from psychology, through philosophy, to politics) with experiential learning (including specially designed ‘meditation labs,’ in which you’ll get chance to practice and analyze mindfulness on yourself). In the end, the course aims to provide a responsible, comprehensive, and inclusive education about (and in) mindfulness as a contemporary phenomenon. During the production of this course, we have been supported by Willem Kuyken, Director of the University of Oxford Mindfulness Centre, and Stephen Batchelor, co-founder of Bodhi College. And we gratefully acknowledge the contributions made by Mark Williams, co-developer of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and Rebecca Crane, Director of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at the University of Bangor. We have recently added expert advice from Dawn Scott (Spirit Rock & Barre Centre for Buddhist Studies), Sydney Spears (University of Kansa), Elisabeth Stanley (Georgetown University), Susan Woods (Centre for Mindfulness Studies), Patricia Rockman (University of Toronto) and Jeff Corntassel (University of Victoria). "A deep and profound dive into the ethical, social, psychological, and philosophical implications of modern-day mindfulness practice. The course is not for the faint of heart, perhaps, but it is also full of practical, guided exercises for the uninitiated! Thank you for redefining my relationship to Mindfulness in a completely new and thought-provoking way" 28 april 2021 "The course enabled me to explore the mindfulness construct at its deeper lever from philosophical, psychological and political lenses. The mindfulness labs were very useful in practicing the skills of being mindful." 23 nov 2018 "i took this course after a period of time when I was trying to practice mindfulness and meditation, but with doubtful success. The course answered many questions to me, and I needed that to keep me motivated. It really helped me understand the origins and, more importantly, benefits of mindfulness practice and made me persist in my attempts. I'm really glad I took the course, I find it interesting, well taught and very useful for all those seeking deeper explanation in why trying mindfulness." 9 Oct 2018 "I have taken other courses in other online platforms. However, this has been one of the best courses I have found online." 3 Oct 2018 "I really like the invitation to us, the learners, to rethink our preconceptions and beliefs, and then make our own judgement about mindfulness. The overall tone was very friendly and open, resources very useful." 12 Dec 2017...

SM
Jul 20, 2020

A course that will open your mind and heart. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt so much about Mindfulness and how I want to incorporate it into my daily life, relationships and personality. Thank you!

AV
Feb 2, 2020

It is such a useful and practical course. The contents, discussions, assignments and quizzes are extremely insightful. I truly enjoyed the course and awaiting a second phase of the course in future.

126 - 150 of 543 Reviews for De-Mystifying Mindfulness

By Anna C

Jul 4, 2017

It's an amazing and very complete course for those who are interesting in learn what mindfulness is, how to introduce it to our lives. It addresses benefits, concerns that people might have and a lot of important facts. I recommend it very much.

By Daniel B

Feb 28, 2018

I started this course with no real understanding of mindfulness or its complexities, I don't claim that I'm now an expert but I do have much better knowledge and respect for the subject. The lessons are engaging and the content is excellent.

I

By Vimarsh A J

Jun 21, 2020

I am deeply grateful to Coursera, Leiden University, Prof Goto-Jones and Team for sharing their esteemed knowledge about the science and technology of mindfulness with the entire humanity in the most honest, sincere and compassionate manner.

By Divya P

Jul 31, 2019

I found this course well-structured and easy to read. The meditation labs that provide ample resources to develop one's own mindfulness practice was quite useful. Thanks to the team for putting together such wonderful content on Mindfulness.

By Saskia K

Nov 16, 2017

This is the first Coursera course I have actually finished. This is thanks to Chris Goto-Jones who has a very inspiring way of speech. I would advice this course to everyone without exception. You will probably gain more insight in yourself.

By Rusmawati S

May 14, 2020

This course helps me understand what is mindfulness actually is. as a new learner of this matter, I also get the experience to practice mindfulness on a daily basis, and it helps me to regulate my emotion, feelings even physical condition.

By Silvia

De-Mystifying Mindfulness was an amazing course. It was full of interesting topics and discussions and the material was very clear. It' a complete course which can be developed more and more with new contents (and I hope they will do that)

By Simona I R H

Aug 22, 2018

A great course with entertaining and insightful lectures! I enjoyed it immensely and I had no trouble at all staying motivated to finish it. The discussion and reflection prompts are thought-provoking, and the practical part is useful too.

By Mark S

Jun 1, 2017

A really interesting and engaging exploration of mindfulness - covering practices, origins, implications and personal impact. Chris Goto-Jones delivers the material in a clear and concise manner. The supporting materials are excellent.

By Nora B

Oct 27, 2016

This course has provided me with a deeper insight into the origins and nature of mindfulness as a practice and a way of life. It lived up to my expectations and I recommend it to those who wish to familiarize themselves with mindfulness.

By Lilian A

Jul 6, 2017

I loved it! Well balanced combination of mindfulness' history, theory and meditation practices. The creative course material, awesome artwork and excellent storytelling skills of the teacher made this a very enjoyable 5 week course.

By Guilherme C

May 4, 2020

Wonderful this course. I loved the light and fun content without losing the depth needed for an introduction course to mindfulness meditation and its philosophy. Congratulations Lieden and the teachers and professionals involved.

By John B

Jan 8, 2019

This was an excellent course! The instructor, Chris Goto-Jones, is a very likable instructor who makes the material both fun and accessible. Every angle of mindfulness is covered in this course in a very open and measured way.

By Gideon N

Jun 5, 2017

This course does what the title says, with animated well spoken

Chris Goto-Jones, it was a pleasure learning from him, a glowing example of practicing what he preaches.

Thank you, you have improved my life and those around me.

By Arun J

Aug 23, 2018

Very useful course. I loved the guided mindfulness sessions a lot! The instructor had a very convincing tone of voice and was very balanced. It was detailed in a way that enlightened as well as sparked interest to learn more.

By Joann T

Oct 16, 2017

This course is very interesting and more importantly helpful. The professor is clear and presents the subject in a logical, concise manner. I really appreciate this course and hope that Professor Goto-Jones adds more soon.

By Alicia Z

Really enjoyed this course. Extremely practice oriented as any mindfulness course should be, while having a strong academic component encouraging us to dig deeper in the material and theories around "construct" mindfulness.

By Emily F

Jan 25, 2018

Excellent introduction to the complex world of mindfulness! You will learn both the theoretical background and complex issues of mindfulness in modern society, as well as experiential learning through mindfulness practices.

By Sonya N

Jul 16, 2021

Loved it! A fresh perspective from so many angles - a great compliment to my current knowledge about mindfulness and meditation. Enjoyable and useful course content. So much work put into creating this course - thank you!

By Alicia D

Jul 7, 2017

An interesting course where you can learn about the history and philosophy of mindfulness and its relationship with the mindfulness that is being taught today. In addition to introducing you to many hours of practice.

By Sherry S

Jun 21, 2018

A great review of the history and philosophy of mindfulness. Professor Goto-Jones will give you things to think about that you never considered in relation to mindfulness. The exercises in the labs are very helpful.

By Andrea

Jun 22, 2017

Excellent class. First module is a little bit too long-winded. The following modules are much more rewarding. I liked how the course also included practical mindfulness excercises along side the theoretical work.

By Beatriz D

Nov 3, 2016

I think this course was interesting. It made me see mindfulness from a different perspective, to understand its roots and the prejudices we have in our society about it and to practice it.

I highly recommend it!

By Jianwei W

Feb 14, 2021

A great introduction to the subject of mindfulness. Not suitable for someone who wants to experience meditation first hand - which requires practice and guidance. Of course, that 's not what coursera can help.

By Marinka V

Mar 24, 2018

Course material supports learning. Very balanced in what they offer you. And most of all a great teacher. It will answer all your questions about mindfulness, including the ones you did not have.

Great course