Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

BG

Jan 26, 2019

I learned much more than anticipated. In fact I've already started exploring areas of my work that model thinking would apply and how to use the tools presented in this class. Highly recommend!

1 - 25 of 278 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Saikat G

May 25, 2019

An Excellent Introduction to Applied Mathematics

I have always loved Mathematics as I am a Computer Science student. However, my interests have hitherto been on the pure side. This course was my introduction to Applied Mathematics, particularly in the social sciences. (Of course, I have been exposed to Applied Mathematics before, but it was always in the context of Physics or Engineering.)

I heard about this course because I was reading Scott Page's book - Model Thinking. I thought I'd take the online course parallelly as I read the book. It is an excellent course.

The modules are small and digestible chunks and practical examples are given about each of the models. The course is all about the virtues of thinking of situations in multiple models and recognizing that almost all models are wrong, because by definition, a model must make simplifications from the real world. However, that doesn't mean that the model cannot explain a substantial part of the real world of provide genuine insight !

The tests are great. This was my first CourseEra course. Since each test can be taken multiple times, there is no pressure or stress before the test. I started thinking of the test as another educational experience. The tests really reinforce the material.

I really recommend the course, particularly if you love Mathematics and have not been exposed to how it is used in fields like Economics, Politics and Social Sciences.

The only complain I have is that there is no project or paper required to be written. This is the reason I still do not feel like I have truly mastered the material in depth. I will now try to do something deeper with the material I learnt in this course.

By Bradley G

Jan 26, 2019

By Qinling Y

Jan 19, 2018

Perfect syllabus and topic arrangement, clear lecturing, except few Chinese

By Bohdan S

Jul 15, 2019

Outstanding mind-changing introduction to the world of models. Very fertile in terms of applications. Would definitely use the lessons learned in my field — making video games. Take the course if you feel like you need to upgrade your rational thinking and learn a new stuff outside the scope of your field.

By Ali M

Jul 14, 2019

This is a brilliant course taught by an exceptional instructor who is a passionate innovator in his field. This course not online provided me with just the right amount of "stretch" in terms of the intellectual effort needed, it also expanded the boundaries of my knowledge. You will become smarter if you take this course, I highly recommend it.

By Hasan R C

Jul 04, 2019

Wonderful course,

Thank you.

By wasonga

Jul 04, 2019

great source of knowledge in models and how they can be used in real problem scenarios.

By Joerg P

Jun 29, 2019

The course touches on a wide variety of topics, while keeping a clear focus. The presentations are fun to watch and Prof. Scott presents with enthusiasm and presents interesting examples where the models apply in day to day life. The syllabus adds some interesting leads for those who want to dig a bit deeper in that matter. I'm happy to have learnt some new models, deeper understood some models I used to know and eager to see how to apply this in the future. Mental note: Be open to switch chairs, but be careful to switch rooms ;-)

By krishna m

Jun 28, 2019

Excellent course to understand how to use different models to think and make decisions, in general and in a work setting, in particular.

By Kirakosyan M

Jun 21, 2019

Very intersting

By Bojan K

Jun 11, 2019

Don't let the length of the course discourage you. It is worth it by the end. Very informative and useful in both professional and personal life.

By quanling_hw@hotmail.com

Jun 10, 2019

内容的确非常多,非常庞杂。但很有帮助,我不敢确定自己以后都能记得住(虽然在本子上记录很多),但我相信遇到问题后不会总是从直觉做判断了。it is very helpful, and it is very abundant. I am not sure how many I locked in my brain, but I believe instinct judgement will only be a small part of my further distinguishing

By Marco A P M

Jun 07, 2019

excellent course

By Otávio B d S S

Jun 02, 2019

Really great course. Thanks University of Michigan and Professor Scott Page for sharing such interesting material with us. Bests!

By Ton v O

May 30, 2019

Excellent, learn a lot and entertaining

By Adrià C A

May 24, 2019

Really useful course. Recommended to everyone who want to be introduced to models and acquire a new way of thinking.

By Dzmitry P

May 22, 2019

I like this course.

By Gehazi R d S B

May 19, 2019

This is a very comprehensive course of modeling, with excellent explanations, slides, readings and exercises. However, it's heavy based on rational economic models and intuition. This approach can be a barrier if you have come from a less deductive background like Behavioral and Biological Sciences.

By Nolan C

May 15, 2019

Great course. Super interesting from start to finish with excellent real-world examples.

By Pradeep S

May 14, 2019

Excellent course !!

By Steve L

May 12, 2019

This is a great and challenging course for anyone who wants to learn and explore the fast changing world. The principles provided in this course serve as a strong foundation for us to be more productive as a global citizen.

By Bart H J

May 01, 2019

If you're interested in thinking more accurately, this course exposes you to a variety of models to help with that. Terrific!

By Patrick H

Apr 29, 2019

This is a great course! The content ranges widely over models from game theory and equilibrium to evolution, prediction, networks, and more. Anyone who wishes to better understand the world will benefit from the lecture videos and readings. Scott Page is a first-rate expositor, offering helpful examples and analogies to elucidate ideas and relationships. Best along side Page's book *Model Thinking,* the course brings to life many of the ideas surveyed in the text.

By Avi

Apr 23, 2019

A truly exceptional course with a passionate lecturer. I do not hesitate in recommending this course to anyone.

By 周福南