Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

51 - 75 of 317 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Vladimir K

Apr 10, 2019

AWESOME!

The day I started the course I thought like 'well, maybe i will look through several lectures', but during the course i understood that i was wrong. The course is super useful and interesting! Especially for engineer guys like myself.

By Jackie M H F

Feb 08, 2020

I have taken many Coursera courses, and Model Thinking is one of the best! Each week, you learn two new models, and over time, you see how you can become a better, more effective thinker by *combining* different models. Highly recommended!

By José R B

Mar 10, 2017

This is a very good course for many people. From engineers (I am one myself) to economists and policy makers, there is always something usefull. Also, the classes are fun to watch! I had a great time and learned a great deal. Thanks!

By Dave S

Mar 31, 2017

This was a fantastically nuanced, and challenging course. Out of all of the MOOCs I've done so far, this has really changed the way I see events around me and has led me to look for patterns in things I've never considered before.

By Hans D K

Sep 20, 2019

Excellent course to join the world of modelling (and big data). Very useful for marketing or regulatory/government affairs. Looking forward to deepening my modelling skills and applying them to real-life situations professionally.

By Charles C W

Jul 22, 2019

This course changed the way I think about many issues. The professor's enthusiasm was infectious and the quizzes contributed to the learning process. Only request would be for additional, higher level courses on the same topic.

By Callum H

Dec 19, 2017

I took this course at the University of Michigan and used the Coursera version as a study aid. This has been one of the most interesting and thought provoking classes I have taken in my academic career. Thank you Professor Page.

By Peter M

Jul 11, 2016

What a refreshing portfolio of perspectives on modelling! This course answered a lot of questions that I've been accumulating overtime in the 'unanswered' log in my brain. Doing this course felt like a long overdue spring clean.

By Steve L

May 12, 2019

This is a great and challenging course for anyone who wants to learn and explore the fast changing world. The principles provided in this course serve as a strong foundation for us to be more productive as a global citizen.

By Gustavo S d S

Apr 02, 2018

Great professor and resources, relevant concepts about different Thinking Models, Markov, Lyapunov, Blotto, Linear, Categorial, Nash Equilibrium, Paretto Efficiency, etc.

Useful to apply on workplace and daily life as well...

By KeLi

Mar 31, 2017

The most inspiring course I've ever watched. Millions of thanks and respect to professor Page. I will absolutely watch it again until I understand everything he says and be capable of explaining the models to my friends.

By Ameer U A K

Dec 11, 2019

An excellent course but to apply this practically would require one to be flexible in their understanding of the concepts and fit them into their current work and this is doable (a little bit of thinking out of the box)

By antonio q

Jan 22, 2020

A very good training, really pushed me to think in model terms, looking at most of the life aspect and see correlations, maybe causations, being challenged to use more models at once, I highly recommend this course

By Alexey M

Mar 19, 2016

It is really great course!

Thanks for making it available.

I think it is course that everybody should take before going into machine learning/data science. It may help you to make better sense of what you will learn.

By Sara D R

Mar 11, 2016

This overview of a variety of modeling concepts and applications was both challenging and interesting. The course requires study and effort which pays off with a broader perspective on simple and complex processes.

By Nguyen A V

Dec 21, 2015

It is a very interesting course. The lecture is easy to understand and the lecturer is very friendly. I got a lot of interesting and useful knowledge not only for my jobs but also for my life. Thank you very much!

By Ritayan B

Jun 25, 2016

I found this to be extremely interesting. This is the course that you savour every second of. Both content and delivery are superlative. Highly recommended if you have any clue of what models are all about.

By N G

Dec 30, 2019

One of the best courses I've seen. Broad coverage of different types of models and many have a place in the life of an analyst or data scientist. Excellent. I also strongly recommend Scott Page's books.

By Mark

Jun 09, 2016

This course is simply AMAZING!!! Thank you Michigan University, & Mr. Scott for your meticulous efforts in bringing to the world quality education in the most simplified pattern!!! Kuddos to Coursera!!!

By Michael C

Mar 18, 2016

Very good and inspiring course. It teaches around 20 different models, not overwhelming you with math but giving you nonetheless a good and solid introduction. Also, the reading material is really good.

By Denerson D P M

Jun 25, 2018

Excelente curso para desenvolver modelos analíticos que vão muito além do senso comum, de forma estruturada e crítica, a partir de dados e inferências estatísticas, matemáticas e sócio-comportamentais.

By Richard K

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

By Anshul T

Jun 07, 2016

Wonderful course and equally wonderful instructor. I really like how Scott builds up from a very simple model and by explaining the intuition behind how we got the math, explains the maths.

By Julius G

Apr 08, 2018

This is a great introduction to the types and uses of models. The lectures are clear, and the examples given show good applicability to real world problems. Thanks for making it available!

By Andrey R

May 24, 2017

This course is a great introduction to simple but useful models. The prominent feature of the course is an intuition and practical examples based one the models provided. Many thanks!