Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

51 - 75 of 296 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Kadir Ö

Oct 25, 2015

This course is exellent for whom want to be a leader in their country.

By José R B

Mar 10, 2017

This is a very good course for many people. From engineers (I am one myself) to economists and policy makers, there is always something usefull. Also, the classes are fun to watch! I had a great time and learned a great deal. Thanks!

By Mawabo M

Dec 23, 2015

I have a Masters degree and until I took this MOOC I had somehow gotten used to the ridiculous notion that I had learned everything that I needed to know. I am pleasantly amazed at how much I still don't know and I am very excited to learn more. I have even started reading journal articles by Page and Zellner because I am very facinated by the models shown to me in this course.

Thank you very much for making this material available.

By Ioan

Jan 30, 2016

Very good.

By Omar S

Aug 07, 2017

Well done, the professor has a great personality which makes it fun to understand the topics. Using math to solve practical real life problems. Amazing!

By 박성준

Oct 26, 2015

HIS speak

By Alex L

Oct 28, 2015

Scott E is wonderful to learn from! Very exciting and interesting material, worth taking the deep dive!

By Andrey R

May 24, 2017

This course is a great introduction to simple but useful models. The prominent feature of the course is an intuition and practical examples based one the models provided. Many thanks!

By Denerson D P M

Jun 25, 2018

Excelente curso para desenvolver modelos analíticos que vão muito além do senso comum, de forma estruturada e crítica, a partir de dados e inferências estatísticas, matemáticas e sócio-comportamentais.

By Nas Y

Oct 17, 2016

This is a course for anyone who wants to be able to think logically. As an IT professional I would recommend this course to my colleagues in the Information Technology field.

By Susan M

Aug 01, 2017

Simply deep.

By Audie D

Nov 11, 2017

Changes the way you think about models

By Oscar J D R

Jan 23, 2016

It offers excellent tools so as to understand networks, totally recommended.

By Anshul T

Jun 07, 2016

Wonderful course and equally wonderful instructor. I really like how Scott builds up from a very simple model and by explaining the intuition behind how we got the math, explains the maths.

By Islam A E

Dec 02, 2015

Brilliant subject, awesome teacher!

By Hamidreza M A

Feb 23, 2016

A great job that professor Page is doing.

By Artem S

Nov 04, 2015

Excellent overview of a wide variety of models with nice and easy tasks and great examples of real life application.

By Pete S

Jul 09, 2016

Scott E Page is totally cool!

By Ning C

Nov 06, 2016

It's an awesome course! Learned a lot here.

By Zeynep T

Oct 12, 2017

Quite interesting topic. Well-organized notes.

By Reza

Jun 13, 2018

Excellent introduction to the world of models - lots of insights and new ways to look at the world

By Pablo O