Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

151 - 175 of 1,247 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Ellene H

Nov 30, 2020

I absolutely loved this course. As someone without an arts background, I felt that everything was accessible and easily explained. I really enjoyed the videos about each work of art and I am looking forward to taking more courses offered by MoMA in the future.

By Shubhra S

Jun 21, 2020

This course on Modern Art and Ideas has provided me with in depth knowledge and understanding of the motivations and inspirations behind a creation of an art in modern time. This has also provided me an insight of evolution of various out of the box thinking.

By Emmanuella P

Apr 23, 2020

This course is great! It develop critical skills for considering art in contemporary society and interpreting artworks. The course is well crafted in terms of the material, assignments etc. Participating in the forum makes the learning experience interactive.

By Claudia A

Sep 6, 2019

In this course I learned to relate all aspects of time and space in which an artist operates. Aspects that lead to a particular sensitivity and poetic expressed in many different ways and creativity. I will certainly be struck when I approach an artistic work

By Jose M R A

Jan 22, 2016

This course is amazing. I absolutely loved the, albeit short, fun videos for each week. And the recommended readings make a great deal of it, which is great. Also, the focus on teachers was not something I was expecting, but that may be helpful in the future.

By Felipe R

Jul 3, 2020

A great course where learning about art in the voice of its authors or MoMA specialists, turns learning into an enriching experience and full of relevant content to understand art in general. Very happy to have participated in this course and Thank you MoMA

By Dimitra P

I am very happy I decided to participate to this course. I loved the way the artists and artworks were in different themes and with this way I learned about different range of artists and artworks. I would only review the way the peers mark the assignments.

By Mbali M

Jan 30, 2018

I have learnt so much about life and art together. Without life experiences we wouldn't have art and life would be dull without art. So i am so proud of myself for taking this course. I feel like it was truly a good self investment... I Hope i finish it...

By James E C

Jul 13, 2020

This was a great opportunity to learn about Modern Art from the MOMA! It is eye opening and really informative and will make you feel super smart and cultured :) PLUS you will learn about AMAZING creations from the rock star artists in the MOMA collection.

By Susan P

Feb 28, 2017

I really liked this course. I liked the lively video clips, the interesting reading materials, the quizzes and also doing two x 500 word assignments made it more valid and meaningful to me. I am looking forward to receiving my certificate. Thank you again.

By Aleyda C R

Oct 12, 2020

me encantó este curso, me abrió un panorama mas amplio de lo que es el arte moderno, lo cual no lo percibía de ninguna manera, me emocioné, me entristecí, me alegré, me deja una huella marcada en mi vida para poder ver la vida de otra manera, mil gracias.

By Laura R C R

Apr 21, 2020

I really liked this course because is a wholesome package and lets you learn from a lot of points of views on different topics. It helps you enhance your knowledge on modern art and understand some of the contemporary works thta sometimes get underrated.

By Michelle C

Feb 27, 2018

This taught me to not skip the titles and descriptions of modern and contemporary art pieces. There's a lot more to it than one might think. It made me understand why artists did what they did as well as understand why I do what I do as an artist myself.

By Natalia B

Feb 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and everything I learned from it. Definitely gave me a new perspective about modern art and how to read it, analyze it and contemplate it. I am very happy I went through it all the way, this is an amazing achievement for me.

By Anna K

Aug 3, 2020

Very interesting and amazing course. The artworks follow the logic of the theme, there are very engaging assignments. The only I didn't like that the website isn't adapted for the final assignment (curate a set of images). Everything else was perfect!

By Elena G

A course providing inspiration as also a quite rich and in depth knowledge about modern art and contemporary artists . I feel that I have gotten a good ground to further explore and understand as also enjoy modern art after completing the course .

By Hannah M

Oct 27, 2020

I really enjoyed completing this course! I learned about new artists I have never heard of before, and discovered a deeper understanding of artists I have studied in the past. Would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in art history!

By Kathryn M

This was something very different for me, but I found it really interesting. I liked the interactive nature of the course and the chance to share ideas with others. I've learned a great deal and really enjoyed reflecting on the different works of art.

By Donna R

Jun 13, 2019

I found this course stimulating and informative honing critical thinking skills and visual interpretations of art. I was motivated by the instructor to further reading in several areas and discovered some "new to me" artists and works. Great course!

By mon_ e

Sep 26, 2018

I loved this course and benefited greatly and loved the art more and learned new things about the look of the artist and the look of the recipient of all kinds of arts Thank you very much to everyone who participated in the presentation of this course

By Gabriela D

Aug 10, 2019

Absolutely loved the way the course is constructed, very professional, very insightful, kept my attention until the end. Definitely developed my interest for modern art and gave me first knowledge and passion to learn more! I recommend it very much!

By Francisco L

Jul 7, 2019

This course not only educates but opens the mind and teaches to look at the artworks from an ampler perspective. From my point of view, this is a course perfectly designed to open the minds of the students. Thank you. I'm waiting for a second course

By Georgeta L

Jul 12, 2020

This course made me understand modern art better, it helped me get out of my comfort zone and think about ideas for assignments. The only thing that I would like, is to be more assignments graded by peers or instructors, which is really helpful.

By Meryann A

Nov 10, 2018

Me gusto muchisimo este curso, me encante el arte y aprender a cómo entender el arte es lo que más me ha gustado, el arte es subjetivo y puede estar en todo lo que nos rodea pero siento que ahora la puedo interpretar de una manera más completa.

By Anthony P

May 6, 2020

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of critical thinking required by this course. I was expecting to have to provide more subjective review of abstract art and surreal art, but instead I found I could be more objective than I'd expected.