Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

476 - 500 of 1,417 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By José F M

Feb 23, 2021

This is my first course here in Coursera, and i'm really happy with all the things I have learnd a lot of things

By Saúl A

Aug 4, 2017

A extraordinary oportunity to get close to various perspectives and views on the spiritual, the art and reality.

By Theodora K

Jul 8, 2020

Really amazing and insightful, would definitely recommend to anyway, even if art is not their thing! Thank you.

By Soheil K

May 15, 2020

the course got boring sometimes, I guess increasing the interaction between learners and platform would help...

By Scott

Jul 5, 2019

Excellent. Helped me understand some works that were previously baffling to me and discovered some new artists.

By Steven P

Jul 8, 2017

What a gift to have access to this material and information! Very enriching!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

By Nivedita D

Mar 7, 2016

This is a great snapshot for a layman to understand the relevance and significance of modern art in this world.

By Alain M

Dec 13, 2020

Interesting course.

Too bad the last assignment does not allow to upload the number of pictures which is asked.

By Nergis B

It was a lesson that broadened my horizons. I definitely think of taking any other lesson by MoMA. Thank you.

By Priyadarshini M C

Aug 5, 2020

It is really helpful for an art enthusiast like me. Really had a great time learning Modern Arts and Ideas.👍

By Pierrette A

Fantastically curated course. Loved every second and truly developed an appreciation for the works discussed.

By Berenice K

Oct 20, 2020

Great way to gain insight into ideas, practices and historical background of Modern Art, highly recommended!

By Alysia P

Jan 30, 2020

I enjoyed this course. It gives a lot of food for thought about artwork that I had never understood before.

By Sakina H

Jun 17, 2017

Lovely course. A comprehensive overview of major themes, artists, and artworks of the 20th and 21st century.

By Jocelyn

Mar 24, 2019

The courses let me know more about the modern art and let me learn modern arts from other classmates' work.

By Iván P

Oct 16, 2018

Excelentes temas los tratados en el curso, así como los materiales de lectura obligatoria y los opcionales.

By Ioana T M

May 9, 2017

Great course with amazing additional links to articles and other information sources. Totally recommend it!

By Myriam N G M

Sep 22, 2015

Un excelente curso, especial para los gestores culturales que recién se están integrando a dicha actividad.

By Luisa F S R

Nov 3, 2021

H​a sido una experiencia maravillosa el poder conocer más sobre el arte en cada una de sus presentaciones.

By Ines A

Jul 6, 2020

Excelente curso con un apropiado acercamiento al arte moderno, me gustaria seguir en contacto con el MoMA.

By Anastasiia G

Apr 26, 2020

Good course with great assignments and interesting educational materials, lots of photo and video content.

By Luisa S

Mar 22, 2018

I like this course a lot, i enjoyed and I learn so many things. Im very satisfied with the course content.

By Agnieszka J

Sep 13, 2020

It's the most interesting online course I've ever attended!

I am going to continue learning with Coursera.

By Fiona P

Apr 27, 2020

Fun and interesting, recommend if you have some spare time to learn more about modern art and it's themes