Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

276 - 300 of 1,240 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Gary E

Feb 20, 2020

I found the course interesting and informative. I didn't like all of the individual art pieces or connect with them but overall, the ideas presented was helpful. Thank you.

By Murielle M

I loved everything about this course! the resources, the themes explored, the forum discussions and the learning process! Would definitely recommend it to art enthusiasts.

By Daniela V

Mar 23, 2020

Curso dinámico, reflexivo y de gran interés para implementar la capacidad de análisis en el comportamiento del arte moderno, sus causas, formas de manifestarse y alcances.

By Emily T

Aug 29, 2017

Loved this course, well-organized, full of interesting material, engaging. Will continue to enroll in MoMA courses, I've completed two so far and they have been wonderful.

By Haley B

May 2, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course, i gained a broader idea of what art is and practiced writing about it. I learned a lot while not being particularly burdened or stressed.

By Barbara K

Mar 27, 2018

I love all the MOMA courses! They are balanced and informative. They provide me with invaluable information that I can use with my students in my visual arts classroom.

By Bruna B

Mar 6, 2018

The course is excellent for those Art lovers who seek to expand their view about many paintings, their artists and their reasons, and what made them create at their time.

By Shariful I

Apr 25, 2017

This course helped me to understand modern art. I have learned about renowned modern artists, their works, and ideas. Thanks MoMA and coursera for offering such a course.

By Ibbie H

Jan 17, 2016

It's a great course to let me know more about variety of conception for art and design, also to realized that how artists combines their life and thoughts into artworks.

By Kristine I L

Dec 18, 2019

I have learned so much and it gives ample time to finish the work. Even if you’re a bit late, it is forgiving and you get to be quizzed! It helps the mind retain better.

By Denise D

Dec 29, 2018

Great class! Don't consider myself a Modern Art fan (still don't) but this class opened up some biases and gained a new perspective on the genre. Recommend this course.

By Caroline D

Jul 3, 2020

Thank you MoMA for putting together a great course! This course has given me new perspectives on modern art in relation to spaces, identity, history, and everyday life.

By Carolina H

Jun 2, 2020

It was amazing. I loved it! I'm in love with the topic, with the art, with the concepts. Everything! It made me realize there's so much more behind an image or a video.

By Vanina G R

May 15, 2020

I miei sono sentiti vivi all'interno di questo corso, appassionata, con voglia di conoscere ancora e ancora. Le sfumature e la creatività sono ovunque. Grazie infinito!

By corinne s

rich in information. easy read and easy videos to watch. loved listening to the artists themselves speak about their work. enhanced my understanding of modern art.

By Pieng-or P

May 15, 2020

A comprehensive and brief introductory course on Modern Art with a wide range of materials for further reading. The lessons open many doors to more relevant subjects.

By Ana L S F

May 6, 2020

Loved it! The course gave me, an architect and urbanist who loves Art, new perspectives about the subject and how we can relate it to our spaces, identity and socity.

By Muskaan V

A very engaging, informative course which highlights some of the greatest works in a new fresh perspective through its themes. The information is brief and relevant.

By Daniel

Sep 8, 2020

I loved the assignments and engaging with other students, also reviewing their work, as always very eye opening seeing someones else point of view about an artwork.

By Marta F G

Aug 23, 2020

This Course has been truly inspiring for me, I have been able to learn about artists I didn't know and have an eye opening experience when learning from Modern Art.

By Pooja G

Jul 6, 2020

Absolutely loved the structure and material provided for the course. I strongly recommend. You will start seeing life with a different point of view. All the best.

By Jaime D L L

excelente curso lleno de aprendizaje, buenas ideas, flexiones, con intensa búsqueda del arte personal que te ayuda a mejorar internamente como artista o diseñador.

By Ana G

Aug 2, 2017

It was a great experience and really did change my view of modern art and it's new forms of expression. I am thankful for having been able to enjoy this experience

By sampanna p

Sep 29, 2020

Recommend this to anyone who has the remotest interest in Art. The course is beautifully designed and will make you keep coming back to it to want to learn more.

By Camila S

Jun 19, 2020

Aprendi un monton en este curso! me encanto poder participar de todas las actividades. Los temas son super interesantes y la explicacion es clara y entretenida.