Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

451 - 475 of 1,417 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Sinelnikova E

Mar 31, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. It was fabulous/

All materials were amasing good, interesting and helpful.

Thanks so much.

By Risa

May 14, 2020

Very easy to follow and I learned about artists' motivation and inspiration which is vital to understanding their work.

By Rohan P M

Aug 29, 2017

an excellent course!! If your looking for the fun way to an introduction to the world of Modern Art, look no further !!

By Samina A

The course offers a great variety of content which is presented very well and the exercises are also very encouraging.

By Chris V

May 9, 2020

Great introduction to Modern art and opened my perspective up for a greater appreciation of what artists are doing now

By Neil B

Jan 28, 2017

Fantastic course. Not too heavy, not too light. Gave a great introduction into Modernism and its place in our society.

By Maitsetseg D

Sep 23, 2020

Wonderful lessons. I think I learned as much as I could. I hope all the lessons I've learned will pay off. Thank you.

By Martin d L P

Jul 29, 2020

This course opens your mind to be able to appreciate in depth works of art that can go unnoticed by the common people

By Sigrid H

A great course !! I will certainly continue learning more by using the coursera courses. What a great way to develop.

By CAMILO O

Apr 29, 2020

A very good course to get your feet on the right path!!! I had learned a lot and I will highly recommend this course.

By Emilce C

Apr 26, 2018

El curso brinda una introducción al arte contemporáneo, las actividades son muy dinámicas y el contenido muy completo

By Ekaterina T

Nov 10, 2016

Thank you for an opportunity to make a course, provided by one of the most famous meuseum of modern art in the world!

By Jan M K

Nov 15, 2021

Really great course for better understanding any type of art and seeing it in different way. I enjoyed whole course.

By Constanza C D P

Jul 28, 2020

Completamente satisfecha por el curso, me encanto, aprendi demasiado y mis perspectivas sobre muchas cosa cambiaron.

By Pelagia G

Perfect course . I learned the work new artists and got more familiar with the work of other. I really enjoyed this.

By Багдасарова А А

Oct 15, 2017

It was great! Very interesting and fresh. Liked it a lot. Like those work of art. Glad to come closer to modern art.

By Issac U

Oct 11, 2017

This course is amazing!! It taught me so much about modern art and helped me understand how modern art is art. 10/10

By Tzu C L

Feb 15, 2016

I like the course very much because it gives me different aspects of Modern Art & Ideas. Appreciate all instructors.

By Paul-Louis S

Nov 20, 2019

This course was an amazing course, in the sense that I really enjoyed doing it, and reading on these pieces of art.

By Valentina K

Jan 26, 2016

Great introduction to modern art (paintings, sculptures, everyday objects) combined with some social circumstances!

By Robert A

Jul 26, 2020

Overall, course well organized. Videos excellent and learning material well-chosen. Nicely paced. I learned a lot!

By Laura E J

Un curso increíble en el que aprendí, me sorprendí y sobre todo me divertí mucho. Me siento complacida y contenta.

By Meetali D R

Sep 23, 2020

Very brilliant course. I learnt many skills. Learnt about many artists and their works, their design inspiration.

By DIANA M U R

May 13, 2019

really i want to say thanks, thanks so much , this course was amaizing thanks teacher God bless you for your help

By Elisabet A

Jun 13, 2021

I enjoyed this course a lot. It gave me perspective and I like a lot the way is organized and presented. Thanks!