Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM

Jan 15, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT

Jun 08, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

26 - 50 of 1,226 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Ubaldo F

Jan 30, 2018

Excelente curso, bien diseñado y documentado, los instructores espectaculares, son profesionales con mucha experiencia y conocimientos. Gracias!!!

By Leigh R H

Apr 18, 2019

Well done. I very much enjoyed the course and the learning experience. However, I feel that there are several teaching and technical issues, which, if addressed, and improved, would provide a more rewarding, less frustrating environment for the learner. First, I believe there should be an automatic word counter on each essay section to alleviate the issue with peer reviewers assuming that they can judge the number of words by just “eyeballing” the copy. On more than several occasions, the peer reviewer marked my essay down for exceeding the required length, when, in fact, my essay was not too long. In self-defense, I finally began adding the word count at the end of the essay, which immediately resolved that problem. Additionally, the final essay question for the essay is apparently confusing for the peer reviewers, as they seemed not to realize that the question posed was an either or format. So, I’m assuming that the sentence is simply too long and should be rewritten in order to make it more comprehensible. Also, I wanted to point out that it is difficult to compare three works of art In 300 words; the assistant director may want to lengthen the permitted essay word number a bit. I’m very impressed with Coursera and its available courses. I especially appreciate MoMA’s participation!

By Daniel C

The course itself was very good - really engaging, well put together and informative. I enjoyed its inclusiveness and learned plenty, and it has been made free, which was absolutely lovely.

If I had one criticism it'd be that it relies on peer review for part of your final mark, and though I understand why (and also I was doing this for free and had absolutely nothing riding on it so it's hard to be too upset), but when a random person misses or ignores the lines of your work where you explicitly and unambiguously state the thing that they mark you down for not stating and you miss out on a 100% mark for a piece it sticks in your throat a little.

On a course taken by a few hundred thousand people created by a museum not a dedicated teaching institution I have no idea what an alternative would be but peer review might potentially be flawed or open to inconsistencies you mightn't get with an alternative or more strict review system.

By Britton B

As an avid museum goer, I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course. It was just challenging enough to keep me engaged, yet not too overwhelming where I would interest. In courses I've taken before on Coursera, the work was just too much, and while that might be fine for a college student, I don't want a course that takes up too much of my extra time. The videos and the readings were informative and interesting. I maybe would have liked to have seen longer quizzes, say 20 questions instead of 10, but for the most part this course was a good introduction into modern art. The bottom line is that I've become a much bigger fan of MOMA and have a deeper appreciation of modern art.

By Sigurd T

Apr 11, 2018

This is the worst and most lazily assembled online course I've ever seen. It is simply a slide-show of select pieces of modern art with some rambling commentary that could mean anything. The quizes are unnecessarily tricky, but to top it all off participants have to write two 500 word peer reviewed essays at the end. Peer reviewed. Like a final "we don't care" from the authors. Can't believe I wasted hours on this.

By Henry O

Jul 16, 2020

this website and this course are a scam im incredibly disapointed in MOMA i love the museum and almost all its art but this course seems to be a quick cash grab by the museum.

By Sharon W

Nov 14, 2017

Extremely difficult to use. Videos did not load, material was difficult to access. Very frustrating and set high obstacles to any learning. Most disappointing.

By Yang G

Feb 15, 2016

repetitive content with other MOMA courses (seeing thru pictures)?? duh, not gonna pay $50 for this. :(

By Mathieu G

Dec 02, 2018

just a list of art pieces without real analysis or explanation. Not very instructive...

By Baruch M

Aug 19, 2020

I am an intellectual, well trained, and professional computer specialist. It is obvious that I have some cultural knowledge. Five -six years ago, after being retired, I turned back to an old and stable hobby of mine - painting, and I decided that this time I will do it the right way. I found a painter, with a lot of practice in teaching, that I felt that she might be the one. I asked to do it from the beginning: sketching and drawing, then painting with dry and wet pastels, charcoal, carving, and printing, painting with acrylic and oil paints, watercolor, etc. She decided that I am good and throughout these years I became a beginner artist, spending from 3 hours to ~ 45-50 hours per week in artistic actions. Lately, I felt that I need knowledge, mainly with the modern art, but not only. IO Begun with "What is Contemporary Art?" and after the very good start and in the right direction I have got a pointer to "Modern Art & ideas". You might say now, "Okay, a too-long foreplay, but at last..." and the course was almost excellent. Almost - because I needed more in the same surrounding and direction. and maybe a little deepening, too. I was happy with the versatility, the enlarging group of artists in every category and level. A surprising enjoyment I have found in the peer reviews, I hope that I did not offend anybody. But it delighted me to search for the materials in many museums around the world and appreciate the text. In the past, I was a software quality assurer.

By Babi H I

Jul 11, 2020

I really enjoyed seeing a lot of the pieces. But there is a reason for the D. Lange pictures of the westward migration. It has me recall the stories that my grandfather told of the dust bowl and the move of the family . He waited till 1980 to move back, My uncle had started planting 3years earlier and found water before making the move. Funny that I left over the fracking later. There was I huge fight with the family over the money offered. I read the reports with my Pop and found that there was no way that the cement casing would hold up. Needless to say that the money won and our well was poisoned. I spoke to my father maybe half a dozen times after, but we never were able to repair the damage. Had a great home but the land was crap and earth quakes so here I am in Michigan. Where their trying to ruin the water here. I am amazed a the way money trashes everything.

By Robert T

Jun 03, 2020

I enjoyed this course. It was like going to the MOMA and having a very good audio guide. The course requires that you bring your life experiences and all of your knowledge in other fields like culture, philosophy, history, etc. That was what it so interesting.

It is important to engage in the discussion forums because that is where any feedback will come from -even had one of the staff respond. The final assignment is peer-reviewed which is kind of cool but those at the end of the unit that you submit are simply given a "pass" by the computer if you do hand it in. In other words, you get out of this course according to the effort that you put in.

Being older, I had a bit of trouble navigating the on-line format but it was forgiving in the end.

By Lourdes M M

Jul 05, 2020

In these terrible days of Pandemic, the pain, the uncertainly and the anguish had my mind and soul disturbed. Focussed on What really matters to me and I love ART in all manifestations, my knowledge of Ancient Art is extensive but this MoMA Course Art & Ideas I has started me in a new space with initial tools , many previosly unknow Modern Artists now as loved as my Classical Friends. Art is everything that make us better people a better wordl. Maybe I am a incorrigible romantic although death lurks the wordl... Art, Artists and their works will remain.

I am very grateful to Coursera, MoMA, and the entire Art & Ideas course team for this great and beautiful gift they have given me.......

By Laura E L P

This is an excellent website to learn everything about art. It has a good method to learn, with photos, audios and characters. I have been very exciting when presenting the course, but I have not imagined the great decision I made when I took classes with moma coursera, and the challenge that has been for me, being a Hispanic person, and everything there was related to a new language , that although I study and understand it, not yet to perfection, but it has helped me a lot of practice. All I have to say is that it has been the best experience I have had so far. Thank you for considering me part of the moma course. c:

By Lily

Jul 07, 2020

A really interesting course, I enjoyed it a lot whilst it gave me much more insight into works that I love. It helped me understand the messages behind some of my favourite works and works that I may have never discovered had I not taken this course, whilst providing me with the skills to help me write about art. The course shone a new light on art that explored very interesting themes. The end of module assignments and weekly reflections were extremely helpful in developing my responses to art works and helped me create my own art. In my opinion a great course!

By Mustafa U D

Aug 28, 2018

Inspiring & elaborative. This Course should be considered as a Model for each course in Coursera. Their style of transferring information is amazingly simple and yet very intriguing.

What I admire most is however that each source at the Reading Part is open to public. This helps people to benefit from the course in full. In addition, the reading list is extremely detailed. It offers numerous alternatives. Even though each reading material of the courses cannot be made open to public, I believe at least the alternatives may be increased as done under this Course.

By Rasika G

Jun 15, 2017

This course has unraveled the mysteries of art to me, and has pointed out to me that art is not an abstract and distant concept which only art connoisseurs can understand, but surrounds our everyday lives. Art is a way to express one's ideas or belief, and I have learnt to appreciate the subtleties and hidden meanings through the excellent readings and videos in this course. This course manages to strike a good balance between selecting famous paintings as well as those which are not very well known. Looking forward to more courses by MoMA in the future!

By Ruth M

Jun 26, 2020

I have really enjoyed the content of this course, and it's certainly helped me understand more about the intentions of the artists included. I haven't really used the discussion forums because I couldn't quite get my head around how they are organised, although I did enjoy sharing my work and seeing other people's work at the end of each week in that forum. I've enjoyed the challenge of the weekly assignments and the two at the end (cutting to be within the word count was a good challenge!) Really great learning materials and content. Thank you.

By Maria I

Sep 27, 2015

I am a little over halfway through this course and I would recommend it to any teacher, or any person who just loves art. Exploring themes in modern art is presented in an accessible way through short engaging videos. There is a resource list with further readings to help you get as in-depth with the topics as you would like, and a list of artworks used in the lesson so you can refer to all of them at once. I plan to do more MOMA courses on Coursera, and hopefully visit MOMA sometime soon! (This review was written by a teacher and former art maj

By Vincent K

Jul 19, 2020

Excelelnt introduction to the way we can think about modern art. The chapters were organized in a way that enhances absorption and retention of the ideas. This format of starting a brief intro section at the beginning of every chapter, followed by a more in-depth discussion, then in a third section tkaing it further with readings, quizes, and short essays works for me. If ever MoMA decides to put on another course to further explore other ideas, or perhaps take what we learned here to the next level, I will be most interested.

By Marcela V T

Apr 09, 2017

I'm really glad that I took this course. I've found the lessons very interesting and fun. The extra material is really good as well and the topics discussed are great. There are people from all around the world and I think it is fullfilling to have the opportunity to see so many different cultures and opinions together taking about art. I would like to congratulate the group responsible for Modern Art & Ideas for the excellent job putting all this together. I will definitely take part in another MoMA course.

By Victoriia S

Dec 28, 2018

The course "Modern Art & Ideas" is very interesting, informative, but not too much. Just enough if you are inetested in or at least tolerate Modern Art.

The course provides a lot of resources for selt-learning and gives you a slight idea how various art is, how important is it to look deeper in it and in youself.

I would recommend this course for everyone who likes new ideas and alternative points of view on traditional things, but even more for those who were afraid of modern art or "didn't understand it".

By Debora J N

Apr 10, 2020

Very informative. I revisited artists I knew much about and learned about several artists new to me. The wealth of information in the multitude of extra links is amazing. I particularly enjoyed the Week 5 short final essay and the assignment to curate a set of images. I appreciated the peer review process and I took great care to write thoughtful reviews for those peers whose work I reviewed. While I seem to have officially passed the course, I await the feedback, or peer review, on the images I curated.

By MARIA E S

Apr 23, 2020

MODERN ART AND IDEAS is an amazing trip!. Traveling through art pieces supported by impressive details and information that have enriched and motorized my passion for Art. Thanks, Mrs. Mazzuco for this incredible opportunity to learn and to share our opinions in forums. Every module encourages me to research more and more. In fact, I made a glossary about Art terminology that attaches me more in this fantastic world. Thanks again, definitely I will continue studying on Coursera.

By Gary M

Dec 17, 2016

A good entry level course on modern and contemporary art. The themed approach works well and the artists are chosen carefully to give a broad overview of the subject. The additional reading material (some optional, other not) allows you to take your understanding to a slightly higher level.

I think MoMA have used their resources well. The videos are well made, their collection provides a rich vein to tap into and their access to leading voices in the field is exceptional.