Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT

Jun 08, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM

Jan 15, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

76 - 100 of 1,191 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Anne T d B

May 22, 2016

This course was great for several reasons. The timing was just right to get an in depth introduction on how to use art in education. The materials provided were excellent and the films were great and not too long. Assessment was well thought through and thorough, and included peer assessment, enabling us to increase our understanding even further.

By Lamprini B

May 23, 2020

It is really amazing how keeping up with this course for only 2-3 hours weekly would reinforce so intensly my engagement to Modern Art and help me take a bit more time to explore everyday things in life, looking for their new perspectives and meanings!

A big "bravo" to everyone who has worked on creating such a structured and inspiring course!

By Catherine Y X

Jan 26, 2018

This courses played a huge part in me getting my foot in the door of modern art, The instructor have done a terrific job of linking art masterpiece to everyday life , enabling us to generate reinfections and artistic perspective and learn to appreciate beauty and creativity around us . I will continue my exploration of art world with MoMA !

By Julie H

Sep 11, 2017

This is a first class course from MoMA. It challenges you to think about the concepts and ideas presented through works of modern art. The resources are excellent, as are the facilitators. I thoroughly enjoyed this learning experience and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wishes to deepen their understanding of modern art.

By Amanda W

Feb 22, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. The ideas were clearly articulated, and furnished with great examples from the Museum's collection. The assignment at the end of the course gave me a great opportunity to critically think about pieces from a different angle, and the course certainly gave me new tools for looking at art - some of which I already

By Cortney J B

Really enjoyed this course. It was organized well - all the reading and videos were optimized for mobile screens. I learned so much more than I thought I would. The content Included both well-known and lesser known artists, tying them together In themes that were pervasive across the modern art spectrum. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.

By Chang1003

Jan 03, 2020

中文 (English below) :事例和图片都非常新颖、很高清,讲解角度也很独到。虽然内容不算是正统美术史一般详尽,但依旧提供了不错的思路。对我理解现代艺术作品也有帮助。

The examples and images are in high-quality and the given perspectives are also clear and unique. Though this course is not the same as traditional art history, it still provides new ideas, which help me a lot with my understanding of contemporary art.

By Romina E

Jul 24, 2019

I enjoyed every week of the course! I loved that it made me look forward to learning more, focusing on different themes within the art paradigm. The lectures were fascinating and the reading was light and thought-provoking. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about famous and less known art pieces. -Romina Espinosa

By Glenis S

Mar 14, 2018

This course was well planned and well presented. I felt it went into sufficient depth without being overwhelming. It was also interesting and enjoyable. It introduced me to artists I didn't know, as well as more well known ones.

I really struggled with Quiz 5 but whether that was me or the quiz I don't know.

A course well worth taking

By Lisa M C

Aug 28, 2020

Excellent course and I highly recommend it. It was very informative and enriching. Excellent material, thought provoking and engaging. If you are new to art or a long term art fanatic, there is something for everyone. Really wonderful how they present each weeks theme and artworks. Can't wait to do more courses with MoMA. Thank you!

By Natasa M

Dec 03, 2015

I just have to say a huge THANK YOU.

This is by far one of the best courses I ever attended. Lessons are flawlessly prepared and one learns without an effort, and yet -oh!- learns and develops so much.

I hope this course will stay active on Coursera forever. It 's an immense value to any artist or person interested in art. THANK YOU.

By Ann-Marie I

Dec 26, 2019

This course was amazingly rich and introduced me to many artworks I was not familiar with, as well as very well known artworks. It gave me insights that aided my reflection and understanding of artworks created in Australia. I would highly recommend this course to lovers of art or those who want to expand their own art knowledge.

By Tricia B

May 30, 2017

This is the best course I've experienced on Coursera! The videos are very internet-y, in a good way--high production value, interesting, quick, and engaging visually. The people who put this course together did it in a way that is so interesting and informative that I wish they offered more courses. I'd take anything MoMA put out!

By Benjamin H

Jun 30, 2020

I think it's a great place for anyone looking to learn about and be inspired by the arts. There's a lot of art out there, both new and old, and the course does a great job by providing you with the knowledge to view and understand art. I will most likely take up the Contemporary Art course in the future based on this experience.

By Shuprima G

May 28, 2018

This course is ideal for anyone who wants to know more about modern art, and understand it thoroughly. The videos and presentations are engaging, and the workload of the course is not too much. The topics covered are quite interesting, and by the end of the course one is easily inspired enough to complete the final assignments.

By 秦可纯

Jan 16, 2018

The course is great. The course offers videos, articles and online resources which was originally by Moma, it covers significant knowledge of art history and broadens my insight of art, I’ve gained a deeper understanding of contemporary art and why so many works of contemporary art are different from the ones that came before.

By Michell

Oct 20, 2015

I loved the many different types of art used to show how vast the modern art world is. The pieces the instructors chose to demonstrate the themes were not "everyday" works of art, but more more unique and showed a fresh perspective. I really enjoyed learning about artists who were new to me and the ideas behind their work.

By Hanifah S

Jul 20, 2020

Excellent course, I loved the topics that the course were divided into and the range of resources to interact and understand the artwork with. The course explored classic works in new, exciting ways, as well as introducing me to new and wholly original works. I have learnt to look at artwork with a keen and critical eye.

By Espeisse H

Apr 20, 2020

The different topics are well presented with concrete examples from Moma's collection. I really appreciate the focusing on three artworks (first video) which give a first overview and the the resources provided. I understood many aspect of modern art on which I couldn't put word when I was going to museums.

Thanks a lot.

By MARIANA H

May 22, 2020

Excelent course to learn the basics of the modern art with high quality audiovisual content, written material and curated resources. I enjoyed very much all the lectures, the quizzes and the final assignments. It is also a lovely art community from all nationalities. I will miss this course!

Thank you Moma and Coursera.

By Maya S P

Jan 07, 2019

It has been an amazing opportunity to enroll to this course. It has been structured in a very interesting way and it was highly enlightening for me. Will definitely recommend it to anyone who would like to gain some experience in critical thinking on the topic of Modern Art, and also to gain knowledge on the very topic.

By Aurora A

I absolutely enjoyed this course. It reminded me why I really love Art and what it can bring to the world to humanity and to your inner spirit. Having the audio accompany the work of art really helps. It was like having your own private tour in a museum and gave you a broad understanding of Modern Art to reflect on.

By Ozerova A V

Sep 05, 2019

Thanks to this course in my working notebook there were such projects which would not be for certain for a very long time, and, perhaps, never. Many thanks to all the people who make such training possible. My works became more meaningful and I finally accepted myself as an artist! Now I'm more sure of what I'm doing!

By Tom P

Oct 15, 2017

Absolutely superb course, with clear interesting videos with points that are easy to absorb...and then to get you reading more about it. The breath of the artworks chosen, as well as breaking these up into categories were a big bonus to help me into the world of modern art and ideas. Many thanks folks and keep going!

By Anfal f

I am more interested in modern art after completing this course than ever before.I really enjoyed this course and the way art was discussed based on theme rather than chronologically. now I love the museum it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.