Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

551 - 575 of 1,436 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Michaela G A

May 5, 2020

Such an amazing course, perfectly explained and with full coverage of every detail in Modern Art!

By Thabata

Apr 15, 2020

Excellent Course. It puts in practice what you learn through the assignments. I truly enjoyed it.

By Leyre P E

Apr 5, 2020

I have loved this course. I will study more courses. Thank you very much for all the information.

Jun 13, 2017

This was a fun and enjoyable course. I enjoyed learning the theories behind modern art and ideas.

By Sandra S J

Feb 16, 2021

This course has given me a lot of ideas for my art, as well as a new vision of contemporary art.

By Andrea H F

Feb 7, 2021

Lovely course, lovely content, everything clear and just mesmerizing. For art lovers this is it!

By Tim A

May 15, 2020

A great overview of ideas and provides deeper thinking analysis while looking at period artwork.

By Ojasvi P

May 4, 2020

Inspiring, informative and very interesting ! Checks all my boxes as an artist and an art lover!

By Ana S R

Jul 18, 2019

A good organized course to learn about Modern and Contemporary art through themes and not dates.

By ΙΩΑΝΝΑ-ΜΑΡΙΑ Σ

May 26, 2019

Πιστεύω οτι ήταν ένα αρκετά ενδιαφέρον μάθημα που μου προσέφερε νέες γνώσεις και δυνατότητες! :)

By Dayoung Y

Sep 10, 2020

Brilliant course, inspiring and educational. Very easy to follow and encouraging for any level.

By Oriana

Jun 23, 2020

Thanks Coursera for this opportunity! It was my first course and I found it really interesting.

By Jimena O

Apr 5, 2016

Explora tópicos que nos competen en la actualidad desde diversos puntos de vista. Muy completo.

By aden n

Sep 13, 2021

would highly recommend to any one with a interest in the arts from any level of understanding

By Luis C G V

Jul 23, 2020

LOVED THE COURSE AND I WANT MORE MOR MORE! I LEARNED A LOT AND I ENJOYED THE MATERIAL SO MUCH.

By Sunanda K

Jan 11, 2020

Great introduction to Modern Art . Diverse works of art used as examples to explain key ideas.

By Srimoyee M

May 31, 2019

An absolutely brilliant course. The videos and supplementary materials provided are excellent.

By sara

Dec 16, 2017

Very good introduction to some of the most important artworks and how to read them critically.

By Yuchen Z

Jul 18, 2017

super interesting and challenging

suitable for those who are interested in learning art history

By Denis M

May 12, 2021

great opportunity to retrieve old and adopt new knowledge, learn new things about modern art

By Sarahi C L M

Jun 3, 2020

Me gusto mucho, aprendí mucho sobre el arte y otros puntos de vista que no hubiera imaginado.

By Timothy O

Nov 6, 2017

Loved this course! I needed to learn more about Modern Art, and this class did that at more!

By Igor S F d A

Mar 23, 2017

I great opportunity to vizualise the historic contex throght the design eyes. Amaging course.

By Alua M

Feb 21, 2017

I enjoyed this course. It helped me to systemise my knowledge. Very well constructed classes.

By Jade D

Oct 8, 2016

it was nice, succinct, and extremely inspiring for some amateur seeking the meaning of art!!!