Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

1201 - 1225 of 1,370 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Talitha K

May 5, 2020

There ahould be stricter guidelines as to the peer gradings. I say this because my first submission of the curated images assignment was unfairly graded by someone i had graded and unfinished. Their assignment was only 1 image with a theme title so i reportesnit as unfinished. They retaliated with a low grading. I had covered all point asked. Is the rules are stricter this couod be avoided. Or having a authoritative assessment by a tutor wouod be good too.

By Lucia J

Apr 14, 2020

I loved everything, did not have a single complaint until yesterday when I found many technical difficulties concerning uploading the set of images, giving feedback to others. Now I cannot open my certificate. Other than that, I enjoyed the course, all the stories behind the artworks that I loved and about those which I’ve never seen before. It was short, yet time consuming- I thought all the topics were interesting and engaging. Thank you.

By Epimosa

May 8, 2021

The course has an interesting form. I feel that it is more like an on-line MOMA exhibition indeed. I guess it shows the importance to take longer time to read text descriptions beside each artwork when one visits a museum to learn more things. The organisation by themes is indeed very clever and efficient for understanding Modern art and I've seen many new things. So thank you very much for the course.

By Peony T

May 5, 2020

Well organised course on modern art, with a diverse range of artworks, arranged under themes, and good resources and materials for reference. Forum discussions are enriching with valuable contributions from participants. The end of course assignments could just be refined to guide participants towards completing the course.

Highly recommended for anyone just curious what modern art is about.

By Jennifer S

Jul 14, 2019

Enjoyed the course as content was interesting , relevant, and engaging. As I am not able to use the computer as well as younger students I found it difficult to know what tasks I was to complete at times. It took me longer to navigate around the pages. I had difficulty uploading the pictures to the site, possibly this is because I am in another country? Thanks for providing this course

By Gilly M

There were some really intereting and educative modules in this course but also a few technical hitches. I was unable to upload images on my weekly review for the first couple of weeks (no icon bar in the review box) and then, at the end, unable to ready the feedback on my assignment. Despite sending messages to the technical support team, I never received any help with my queries.

By nbrrly

Jun 23, 2020

Really enjoyed the course, would have liked the lessons to each individually go deeper into their themes, I loved the introductory videos the best and wish those had been longer than 2mins on average and more in depth. The breadth of artists featured was great but would have loved the video content to go deeper as I am very much a video learner.

By Giordano V

Jan 4, 2016

Me parece realmente interesante y a su vez bien producido y organizado. Es un pequeño e intensivo programa que puede ayudarnos a aprender a observar otra vez. Con una mirada critica y llena de conocimiento el curso pretende crear conciencia en cuanto a la valoración del arte y a su vez que esta información circule por medio de la enseñanza.

By Marilou Z

Oct 5, 2015

I really enjoyed the course.I learned a lot of things about specific pieces of modern art with some of which I was familiar to and with others I wasn't.The only thing I would say this course lacks is the fact that there are not enough assignments to work on and so we can not use our imagination and knowledge to write something inspiring!

By Alexandre F

Jul 3, 2019

It's a great course, but I cannot find a way that it will be directly influent to my career, even as a creative director. It's always good to learn new perspectives but it's kind of a "curiosity course" than a professional one - for example, Seeing Through Photographs, it's being more interesting to me.

By Andrew M

Nov 10, 2019

The content was interesting and the short introductory vides for each week excellent, with a narrator far above the usual standard. The fora were a bit odd, with little interaction and what seemed to be a mix of study periods, with some comments from months ago presumably from past runs of the course.

By Elva E S M

Jun 16, 2016

I thought this course was about art and related ideas. To my surprise is has a teaching focus which I did not anticipated and which has no interest for me. I did not do the final project because it does not interest me. Thank you for the art part, wish there would have been more of it.

By Julia S

Jan 22, 2016

On the one hand it's interesting course with cool (!) visualisation. On the other - it's very simple themes to discuss and there is a usual way to understanding process in art and society.

I hope you add new lectures about some directions in modern art, utility art and something like this

By Νιόβη Λ Ζ

Nov 10, 2019

Interesting and easy to follow. A good introduction to modern art, although I believe paying 44€ for the certificate is too much, and it would probably be worth it a lot more if there were more themes to explore and they were covered more in depth. But the lesson itself is great.

By Julian G M

Jun 10, 2020

I very much enjoyed learning of new artists and artworks in this course, though I thought that, at times, there could have been more in-depth parallels drawn between the works and art movements, as well as maybe further required reading to augment the depth of the lessons.

By Cristina M

It was a good course. It provided some interesting food for thoughts. It gave a second point of reflection about contemporary art and helped me to understand more about contemporary art shortening the distance that sometimes we experience while watching a contemporary work

By Debi H

Apr 4, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. It was a survey, but there were many art pieces explained in a way that was easy to understand. For me, there was just the right amount of reading, video, quizzes, and activities. I appreciate the time put into creating this course.

By Alfredo P I

Jun 18, 2020

Ha sido muy interesante y útil, he podido aprender mucho y los temas del curso están muy bien organizados. Aunque a veces las opiniones de las obras de arte eran un poco difíciles de entender y no daban información concreta. Pero por lo general, muy recomendable.

By Will H

Jun 14, 2020

Excellent course with outstanding materials. Also really enjoyed the peer reviews which introduced me to yet more art. My only criticism would be that sometimes it was a bit hard to navigate (but obviously not that hard as I was able to work it out in the end!)

By Inessa K

Jul 5, 2020

The course was informative and rather well structured. One can learn about a great deal of diversity of art themes. I would prefer to have an introduction to how we should build our articles (assignments), not only pure description of the artworks.

By Matteo B

Dec 9, 2019

Very interesting way to introduce someone to modern art. This course made me discover a lot of interepretations from artists that I didn't even know before or knew but was explained. If you want to get into it, this is probably the way to go

By Rachele D

I did really enjoy the videos, the interviews to artists, the pictures and the idea of teaching through themes. The interaction with other trainees was also interesting. Trying to produce an artwork was challenging and fun. Thanks!

Rachele

By Franc M

Jul 25, 2020

I'm glad to have done this course. I'm a Modern Art lover and I've enjoyed all the program, both the artworks and artists I already knew, as the ones I've discovered. I hope to repeat with similar courses soon. Thank you!

By Sue D

Feb 27, 2021

I enjoyed looking at the work of artists I did not know. The videos and writen text was good and informative. I would like to have done more personal art work in the style of artists studied. I enjoyed the peer reviews

By Melina C

Feb 2, 2020

Es un curso completo en cuanto a obras de Arte de múltiples disciplinas. Agregaría contenido de Arte Latinoamericano (Centro y Sudamericano). Es fundamental agregar idioma Español a subtitulos y traducciones.