Back to The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part I by Tel Aviv University

This course will review the emergence of the modern Middle East from the fall of the Ottoman Empire, at the end of the First World War to the present. We will discuss the Ottoman legacy in the region and the Western imperial impact on the creation of the Arab state system. The course will review the rise and retreat of Arab nationalism, the problems of internal cohesion of the Arab states, issues of religion and state, and the evolution of Islamist politics. We will also focus on the evolution of the Arab-Israeli conflict and its impact on the region and will conclude with an in depth analysis of the “Arab Spring” by placing these contemporary revolutionary events in their historical context. Please note that there is a second part to this course which is a direct extension of this part. We highly recommend to continue to the second part after you finish this one (https://www.coursera.org/learn/modern-middle-east-2/home/info)....

MP

Sep 11, 2016

I really like the professor and his narration, quite engaging and interesting course. The only suggestion I have is to improve the quizzes with more analytical rather than fact-based questions.

TP

Apr 30, 2016

An excellent introduction to the formation of what we know as the Middle East. This course offers great insight and context into this area, its peoples, cultures, economy, and politics.

51 - 75 of 226 Reviews for The Emergence of the Modern Middle East - Part I

By Tracy T

Apr 30, 2016

By Mardohar B B S

Jun 18, 2020

This is the course that gives me the pleasure of following the dynamic movement that provides me with the basic understanding with what is happening in the Middle East nowadays.

By Aakash A

Sep 08, 2017

A complete breakdown of the Middle Eastern States emergence from the Ottoman Empire's rule to the Mandates imposted by the European Powers post WW1.

Looking forward to part 2.

By Armin E

Jan 31, 2016

I thought it was a great course, very well produced, rhetorically excellent. I very much enjoyed learning and I think I profited in my understanding of Middle Eastern affairs.

By Lim Z X

May 03, 2018

Very informative course about The Emergence of the Modern Middle East in the 20th Century! Enjoyed it very much, kudos to Prof Susser for the clear and articulate teaching!

By Michael R

Jan 17, 2018

Very informative - a real eye-opener. The provided PDF materials are excellent and really help to follow the lectures. The many graphics significantly enhance the course.

By simon c

Apr 21, 2016

Full of information, great analysis, suitably detailed. A great personal touch as well. This requires attention and thought as a good course should. Highly recommended.

By Paula B

Feb 17, 2019

Fantastic course! Professor Susser has a very engaging way of teaching history and the course materials (videos, course readings and quizzes) are very high quality

By 刘硕辰

Nov 27, 2015

The course offers great ideas to me instead of facts that can be easily checked. All history are contemporary history. Ideas shape and change the socitey.

By Brad A

Jan 12, 2016

Professor Susser organized a very well done course on a topic with very complex regional dynamics. In addition, the notes for each module were excellent!

By Araceli P

Jun 11, 2017

It was an incredible syllabus and i learned a lot. The teacher was great, contextualizing everything and explaining all the concepts of the middle east.

By Emmett B

Jul 08, 2017

This course provided me exactly the level of detail and information I was hoping for regarding an understanding of the history of the middle east.

By A F

It explains everything so well and even uf I find the history of the Middle East, kind of complicated, with this course I got a great approach.

By FRANK A

May 06, 2020

A FASCINATING COURSE WHICH I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED TAKING. I LEARNT A GREAT DEAL ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE MIDDLE EAST THROUGH TAKING THIS COURSE.

By Kamil S

Jan 29, 2017

Very informative, well-paced and objective course. Even more beneficial as it is the sole comprehensive course on the subject in the internet.

By Arthur H

May 22, 2020

Excellent course. Well presented, comprehensive and informative. Highly recommend for anyone with an interest in M-E history and politcs.

By Justine B

Dec 26, 2016

Clear, concise, objective. Asher Susser explains so much about the Middle East; helps make the present-day situation more understandable.

By Ellen B

Jun 12, 2020

Just the right blend of challenging and interesting. Professor was very easy to understand. Thank you for offering these free courses.

By 章義楚

Nov 14, 2015

I have lernt a lot about the history and tradition of Middle East from this lesson, which is good for my major, for I study arthistory.

By Agnes L

Mar 17, 2018

Really great course with a lot of really interesting information and datas. I would have liked it to be longer! Thank to the teacher!

By Krzysztof N

Jan 08, 2016

Very informative course, instructor was great and very thorough. I missed some way to review most important events and dates quickly.

By James

very interesting and comprehensive course if you want to know more about middle east as an outsider

professor is a charming person

By onawole a

Jun 12, 2017

I gained a better historical understanding of the contemporary Middle East. What it was and how how it became what it is today.

By shakiba b

Feb 25, 2016

Very useful and insightful course for anyone looking for the answers to the whys and roots of the conflicts in the Middle East.

By Ankit S

Feb 12, 2016

Excellent course especially for the uninitiated to understand the history of the Middle East region.

Eagerly waiting for part 2!