Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM
Jan 7, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR
Aug 1, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

51 - 75 of 235 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Tereza K

Aug 12, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. What I found particularly interesting was the possibility of reading the essays of my classmates and learning from them as well. I want to especially thank Prof. Roth for his excitement he brought to philosophy of 18. and 19. century.

By ANA C C D R L

Oct 3, 2015

Amazing oportunity to develop ideas in different subjects around the theme of modernity. The course covers many authors,and though never gets superficial. The best part is Professor Roth and the pieces of readings in an emotional, thrilling way. Thanks Coursera!

By Pam P

Jun 4, 2021

I​ am writing a book about a woman who wrote a memoir in 1926 and want to be more conversant with intellectual history as I do it. This class was a big help. I started Part II before I realized there was a part I, and now shall continue and complete Part II.

By ANUSHKA M

Jul 10, 2020

The course is highly interesting and the topics chosen paint a fairly detailed picture of the era of enlightenment nad the philosophers in modern Europe. The assignments are interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed myself studying the various books and essays.

By Andrea E

Sep 23, 2015

I absolutely loved the course content and the style of the instructor.

The only feedback I'd extend is more variety in the writing assignment prompts, and a little more specificity in the quiz wording. Some of the questions seemed phrased in an unclear way.

By Sumor S

Feb 18, 2017

i learned what I thought I would learn and more! Plus, the other students are really inspiring. It is a great feeling to get a glimpse of how many other people are interested in the same subjects and also write. Great Professor and a great class!

By Lola R M

Jun 26, 2021

This course is well planned and well paced. I feel like I learned a lot from the readings and the very engaging video lectures. This was my first Coursera course and it left me feeling very positively about taking courses online in this format.

By Nivedita F

Sep 8, 2020

Extremely helpful to build a theoretical background for art and architecture. Prof. Michael Roth has a very good way of explaining things in very simplistic terms. I found the course to be devoid of jargon, very simplified and very elaborate.

By Lewis H

May 2, 2019

Fantastic course. I really appreciate the instructor's attention to detail and narrative ability. The topics covered in this class were diverse and interesting. I will certainly be signing up for the second part of this course.

By Yesha B

Jan 19, 2017

The classes were interesting. Activities and assignments were very innovative and helped me to get idea about Modernism and Postmodernism. The best part was getting reviews from peers. I really enjoyed learning in this course.

By APOORVA S R

Feb 16, 2021

The course was very well designed and the curriculum touched upon major events of the era under study. The passion with which Prof. Roth taught the course was inspiring and listening to the lectures was extremely insightful.

By FARAH K

Sep 17, 2020

Michael S. Roth is such an inspirational tutor, his command over the course contents and effective delivery was the highlighting feature of this course. I truly recommend this course and enjoyed learning throughout 7 weeks.

By Leanne C

Mar 21, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Instructor has an engaging way about him and makes the subject matter clear in the lectures. Essay-work was thought-provoking and forced critical analysis about research and reading material.

By LEE X E

It is a great course and a nice lecturer to help people to reflect the world now as well as getting exposed to many great artworks and thoughts that may lead you to a new experience in questioning the modernity. Have fun!!

By Johanna N

Feb 11, 2016

A truly inspiring, engaging course. I really appreciate the interdisciplinary nature and Mr. Roth's enthusiasm and humor. He is also very good at explain potentially very difficult subjects. I LOVE the inclusion of art and

By Raquel O d

Nov 13, 2016

This is a delightful course, despite of its complexity. You can follow the discussion and very good explanation without much difficulty, because the professor guide in a clearly and objective way. I really enjoyed it ;)

By Eliana K

Feb 14, 2021

It has been a great journey to the world of philosophy and art of 18th-19th century. Proffesor Michael S. Roth is a great lecturer who knows how to keep learners attention throughout the course. Thank you so much.

By Serkan B A

Jun 4, 2019

It might be one of the best courses I've ever taken online. There were some minor errors in English subtitles, and to be honest, I hate peer-review system, but overall, it was great! Would definitely recommend it.

By ivan l a

Aug 23, 2020

Disfruté muchísimo de las clases del notable profesor Roth y de las lecturas asignadas. Es un curso que te estimula intelectualmente y genera deseos de seguir leyendo los autores estudiados. Me encantó.

By D S

Jan 31, 2018

Best course and professor I have taken at Coursera, since Demystifying Mindfulness (which is #1).

Really liked Prof Roth, and appreciate his continued emails after the course via Mentor connections.

By César F G

Jul 20, 2020

Un curso completamente excepcional. Estuve realmente meditando y las lecturas son absolutamente bien elegidas para la reflexión, la memoria histórica y la belleza literaria. Muchísimas gracias.

By Jente L

Oct 9, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. The lectures are incredibly interesting and Roth's passion and enthusiasm about the subjects make the lectures very enjoyable. Would very much recommend.

By Kavita J

Aug 5, 2021

good course highlighting all the important aspects of the period concisely ,providing detailed information by recommending the necessary material to upgrade your knowledge in depth.

By Jessica W

Apr 24, 2017

An excellent introduction to Modernism that spans disciplines. The enthusiasm and humour of Michael Roth ensures parts of the course that might be difficult or dull are far from it.

By Anne F

Sep 18, 2015

I love this course. The enthusiasm of the teacher is wonderful. His choice of works and their treatment are excellent. I learned a lot, even though I have an MA in Literary Studies.