Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

JR
Aug 1, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

NM
Jan 7, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

76 - 100 of 235 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Valentin D

Sep 6, 2015

I've not finished this course yet, but I found it to be excellent, the content is important to understand, the teacher is clear and I enjoy listening to him. I really recommend it.

By Marina C

Dec 9, 2020

Studying these subjects independently is exactly what I was looking for, although I expected more focus on Postmodernism authors such as Baudrillard, Foucault, Giles Deleuze, etc.

By Munif M

Jun 18, 2020

A great course! Thanks to Prof. Roth and his university for conducting such a wonderful course. Really, helped me a lot. Can't wait for "The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 2)."

By Valeria B

Jul 28, 2020

An effective and catchy overview of relevant thinkers which contributed to shape the culture and society of the 19th century. I am looking forward to starting the second part.

By Epitropou S

Dec 27, 2016

A very interesting course. A privilege to be part of it. A powerful inspiration and motive to learn more about the most important figures of the last couple of centuries.

By ANGELA M C G

Sep 15, 2020

Es magnífico! Brinda la posibilidad de aprender historia, arte, ciencia, desarrollo, incluso un poco de psicología... desde la perspectiva de diversos autores y épocas.

By Elif S

Sep 11, 2018

Excellent course! Very motivating and inspiring lectures. I am more than glad to have found this course and i will be continuing with Part II for certain. Thank you!

By Calvin E

Mar 20, 2018

Very interesting subject matter, and the course was well organized and accessible. Would recommend taking the course to those interested in late Western philosophy.

By Andrew G

Dec 5, 2015

Excellent course. I really enjoyed this and it opened my eyes to areas of thought and thinking that I had not previously had the opportunity to encounter or study.

By Tuan N

Mar 22, 2017

The content of this course is great. I am provided with detailed contexts of certain movements and how they developed under the influence of thinkers and artists.

By JULIAN G

Jul 3, 2020

Excellent course. The explanations from Michael Roth and the selection of texts were absolutely on point, appropriate and very revealing for the subject matter.

By Eduardo C

Nov 8, 2019

Muito Muito bom! Uma análise bem refrescante da história da arte, uma base maior na literatura. ótimo para quem está acostumado a uma história das belas artes.

By Cecilia E A d F

Apr 11, 2020

I just loved it! I've learned a lot and it will definitely help me a lot in my teaching career! Anxiously looking forward to studying part II of the course.

By Víctor D L C

Dec 25, 2017

Excelent course, I love it and I´m learning too much about moderniy and philosophy. The professor is so good and with great empathy and so much knowledges.

By muhammed j m

Jul 21, 2020

Great experience... Discussion forum could be more creative... there should be a video interactive session among peers under the guidance of course mentor

By Paola R

Nov 19, 2020

Love it much! ♥ I am very much obliged to all those who were involved in bringing about this beautiful project. Thank you for making our lives better.

By Laura L

Sep 22, 2016

This is my favourite course . The professor is so enthusiastic and passionate to share his knowledge, and is doing a great job. Best course ever !

By Javier C

Sep 25, 2020

muy buen curso, se reunen lecturas de diversos ámbitos. Lo mejor son las clases que logran situarse en el tiempo y comprender mejor a los autores

By Chris

Feb 17, 2019

Cool ideas. Very engaging instructor. Finally I understand the Simpson's and the odd Nietzschean qualities of our modern and post-modern world.

By Neha W

Jun 25, 2020

Under Roth sir's tutelege the concepts became really easy to understand. Had a great experience sharing and learning along side other fellows.

By Фомин М

Jan 18, 2017

Хороший курс. Для тех, кто смутно представляет, что происходило в 19 веке в Европе с точки зрения философии, политики и культуры, - самое оно.

By DR M K P

May 6, 2020

It was indeed a well-organized course and the contents were really of high grade and it certainly enriched our intellect. Thanks Prof Roth.

By Sudhir D

Apr 25, 2017

This is an amazing course - I loved every bit of it and learned so much. I am going to listen to all the material yet again. Thanks much.

By Patricia

I enjoyed this course from the beginning to the end. The professor makes the readings utterly interesting. I highly recommend this class

By Ethan T

Mar 14, 2021

A good course with good reading material that gets you to think about what the modern is and its most important concepts and attitudes.