Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM
Jan 7, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR
Aug 1, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

101 - 125 of 235 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Katalin V

Jul 22, 2020

I've found Professor Roth a fascinating lecturer, using exactly the right ingredients to make this hard subject more easily digestable.

By D V

Mar 3, 2017

Enjoying the lectures again. This is my second time listening to the lectures and doing some of the readings. Thank you Professor Roth.

By Nurit G

Dec 5, 2015

I enjoyed the course. The lecturer skillfully mixes philosophy and art sources to get us into the world of enlightenment and modernity.

By Nishant A

Jan 12, 2021

This is simply one of the best online courses, I’ve ever pursued. Michael Roth is an amazing professor. Thank you for the opportunity.

By Maria E H

May 8, 2017

The professor is highly engaging and explains the material in a succinct and enjoyable manner as well as making the course a pleasure!

By Yamuna B

Really informative, and life-changing. I finished both parts and I am really content, and better off in life because of the course.

By Éfrin G

Feb 11, 2020

Simply excellent course!

It is dynamic, well constructed and easy to follow.

The essays are challenging and focus on the materials.

By Maria M

Apr 12, 2020

Thank you Pr. Roth! One of the best professors i've ever had! Enthusiasm + passion + tons of informations = an excellent course!!!

By Clarissa P

Sep 4, 2015

Interesting and thought provoking, the professor has an engaging style and it encourages me to explore these areas in more detail.

By ASHOK K

Oct 26, 2020

Excellent, outstanding and very informative. Prof. Roth is excellent. Would like to see more courses like this in Coursera.

By Damián L

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent course! Very educational and an interesting refresher on college-level philosophy courses. Waiting for part 2!

By Bergthor S

Oct 1, 2015

THE most interesting lecturer I have found in recent times.

Wonderfully enlightening approach to the subjec.

By regina m

Oct 13, 2020

I like how the lecturer teaches very well and clear. The subject is also interesting. I've never learnt this before

By Ni N

Aug 12, 2020

This course is well-structured and well-developed. The professor is very inspiring. This is an exciting experience.

By Petro S

Mar 21, 2017

Extremely well organised, breathtaking lectures. Strongly recommend to those who are interested in philosophy!

By Eric N

Jan 28, 2019

Excellent but perhaps too many books to read! Reading three or four novels is unrealistic for such a course.

By Asa Z

May 4, 2020

A great course with very clear and insightful teaching. Readings can be a lot but very rewarding in the end!

By Daniel Z

Jan 5, 2016

Excellent Course with extremely detailed lectures. Dr. Michael Roth is an excellent intellectual historian.

By Randall L B

May 7, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Exploring the Communist Manifesto was especially interesting.

By Cristina D

Aug 25, 2020

This is one of the best classes offered by Wesleyan at Coursera.

The reading material is superb.

By lin x

Sep 13, 2016

It's very informative in terms of content while interesting with the speaker's personal style.

By David A S

Sep 11, 2016

Roth is the professor I spend every semester's first week hoping my professors turn out to be.

By Drayson N

Sep 3, 2016

Imperative to a responsible understanding of the contemporary world and what brought it about.

By Christian T

Jun 4, 2020

A great course, adequate subject matter, points were made clear by lecturer. I will recommend

By Anna C

Feb 20, 2016

I have found this course excellent and I am still enthusiastic about its interdisciplinarity.