Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

HH
Jan 24, 2021

Very interesting and fun course\n\nDr. Zelikow really captivates the attention of the students and brilliantly explains complex situations to the layman audience.\n\nLook forward to Part II !\n\n:)

201 - 225 of 601 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Anna Z

Oct 6, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you. The professor is a great public speaker and very knowledgeable. I wish he was teaching another course.

By Sepand M B

Sep 7, 2016

Great course.

I only wish Coursera would offer history courses on major revolutions that shaped the world as well, i.e Russia, Iran...etc.

By Ramez T

Nov 16, 2018

Professor is clear and goes at a great pace. I like how he tackles the deeper things in history; ie, the how and why, not just the what.

By Cassandra C

Dec 9, 2015

I absolutely love this professor! He makes the topic and class as a whole extremely engaging! I would take any class he teaches any day!

By Thashreefa S C

Dec 2, 2020

This course is very informative. It helped me to prepare an outline about the history of modern world from 1760 to 1910. Thank you sir.

By Arpit

Jun 18, 2020

Great Course. I always wished to read World History. This gives details of the events and the reason behind them in much-required need.

By Roberto L

Jun 23, 2017

After doing this course I have a better picture of how the world we live in was formed, and what are the forces driving the human race.

By Adrià B C

Oct 10, 2017

Nice and really interesting content, a pitty that I couldn't do the tests without buying the entire course, but it's enjoyable anyway.

By microjenn

Dec 22, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. I learned a lot and enjoyed how the Professor compared events around the world and tied things together.

By Mia Z

Relearn the history from the old to the new world. Reflect on the dramatic change we are facing today. Very valuable lessons learned.

By Icíar V R

Aug 14, 2020

Excellent course; well structured and very interesting. I strongly recomend it to anyome interested in understanding modern society.

By Mary W

Feb 27, 2021

This course was very enjoyable, challenging, well organized and comprehensive. I learned such a lot and the lecturer was top class.

By Emmanuel

May 13, 2020

Professor Zelikow is very enlightening and humorous. I've learned a lot about the global history from a quite distinct perspective.

By Michelle J

Sep 15, 2020

Prof. Zelikow's narration is gripping and his enthusiasm effusive. This was so enjoyable and well-organized. Thank you! Wahoo-wa.

By Travis S

Apr 19, 2020

This has been an enlightening class. It's been interesting to learn the cause and effect of what's happening in the modern world.

By Alison B

Aug 21, 2019

Great course. Very informative and presented in an interesting and thoughtful way-thank you. Can't wait to get started on Part 2!

By Joseph W

Dec 13, 2015

Very good course - ties many disparate threads together to make a cogent explanation of how and why the modern world came to be.

By Imam K

Sep 18, 2015

This course enable me to learn something new I have never learned before. It also gives me handful knowledge about world history.

By Rebecca P

Jan 4, 2021

Fascinating course with really engaging content answering and provoking many questions about the creation of the modern world.

By Tofail A

Sep 27, 2019

To me "The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910" is time demanding course. Thanks for the opportunity....

By Valorie H

Apr 24, 2016

Extremely interest course. Learned a lot. Really puts everything into perspective. Professor tells history like a story.

By Judy H

Oct 16, 2016

Wonderful overview of Global History. I have enjoyed taking both parts of this history

course from this terrific professor.

By Andréa G P

Sep 24, 2015

As a fan of History, I highly recommand this MOOC, it is always good for you to see history from a different prospective.

By Paul H

Dec 27, 2015

Great overview of this period in history. Professor makes it interesting without overwhelming. I definitely recommend.

By David M

Sep 22, 2015

Very analytical. Not just a recounting of facts, but a thorough review of trends and attitudes. Very enjoyable course.