Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC

Nov 06, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW

Apr 16, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

76 - 100 of 482 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Emiko F

This course is amazingly interesting. A coherent view of the dynamic period over the world was clearly and interestingly depicted by the lecturer. We can learn a lot of insights to understand and predict the current world based on what happened in the modern world.

By Sandra R

Dec 15, 2015

Instructor is knowledgeable and enjoyable in his lectures. I have completed the requirements for a degree in history prior to taking this course (although I never applied for it). I have learned more by taking this course than I did in the same course in college.

By Joseph C

Sep 09, 2015

Excellent. The professor was just about perfect - high energy and very relaxed. He was a natural in front of the camera. The subject matter was interesting and informative. Coursera and UVA are to be congratulated for providing such a great product. Nicely done.

By Ann-Maree W

Jul 18, 2019

This was a very interesting course! Philip Zelikow is a very good storyteller, who teaches you how to ask questions around these historical events. And he included a lot of nice maps and illustrations that I hope to use in the Global Art History class I teach.

By Michael H

Jul 22, 2020

I loved this course! Professor Zelikow as an excellent instructor and his passion for history flows through this course. It was not just memorizing facts (when), but it more of the "why" did this happen in world history? I can't wait to take part 2!

By Monica S

Nov 19, 2015

Great Course! Shows the political evolution from a Feudal System until we have a Modern World that starts changing very fast through scientific knowledge, and the struggle from imperialism to democratic societies, to dictatorships, military goverments.

By Maria F

Feb 13, 2017

Truly wonderful. I loved this course from beginning to end. The presentations give you just the right amount of information, without overwhelming you with facts and dates.

And there's Part 2, which is equally great.

I thoroughly recommend this course.

By Mohammed A R

I may be biased, being a history enthusiast, but this course is very interesting. It gives both the big picture and the vital details of historical events that reveal our story and how we came to develop the largest of cities with our great ideas.

By Dimitrios E

Sep 02, 2018

It was a truly amazing course that allowed me to learn so much about the period between 1760 and 1910, gave excelent insight to how people though and understood the world at that time and refueled my interest in modern history. I highly recomend it

By Nikolaos T

Nov 19, 2015

I think Professor Philip Zelikow is a charismatic speaker. I enjoy listening such an eloquent teacher.

The content of the lesson is compact, complete, enlightening and inspiring.

I find some of the quiz questions ambiguous.

Thank you very much.

By RISHAV K

Jul 27, 2020

I am at a loss of superlatives to describe this course. The professor is fantastic, the content informative, the presentation spell-binding. Every person, even if remotely interested in the topics of human history, should take this course.

By Seersha N

Nov 02, 2015

Gives an outline of world history emphasizing on the "whys" instead of the "whats". Great course for a beginner in International Relations who seeks to gain a wide view of happenings helped create current political and economic situations.

By Carla S

Jul 06, 2018

I´ve loved every lesson! I have enjoyed Professor Zelikow´s explanations and it´s been easy to understand for me. I had only studied History when I was in High School and this course has encouraged me to keep learning. Very interesting!

By Clio L

Feb 04, 2016

Just excellent!!!! Thank you for this enlightening course, not just for what I've learned but also for the variety of topics for further study the course raised. Already started Part Two!!! Philip Zelikow you are really a great teacher!

By Antony J D H

Jan 30, 2016

Excellent. Thoroughly engaging, thoughtfully organized, and insightful. For anyone interested in the historical events leading to the conditions of the 20th Century, this course is a gateway to that understanding. Highly recommended.

By JACKSON M C

Feb 02, 2020

Simply sensational, I really liked its cheerful way, the use of excellent paintings, maps, tables. Despite being condensed, I was able to recall several historical facts and combine the knowledge in a more coherent and harmonious way.

By Eirini L

Apr 28, 2017

It's a very open minded course for everyone who wants to learn more about the global history of this period and for everyone who wants to learn some of the skills of a histrian. It has a great pace and a very understandable professor.

By mario a m f

May 14, 2018

The professor Zelikow is so clear in his ideas, and with examples all around the world. He gives the essentials of History: everything happens for something and the causes are interconnected. It was a wonderful experience. Thank you.

By Erika K

Jul 03, 2017

Great course! I really appreciated how Dr Zelikow explained context and why major world history events happened the way they did. Lots of visual aid made this course really interesting. I would make this course a must in schools.

By Alfonzo R H Y

Jun 04, 2020

Great course which managed to explain the relationship of how one event in history subsequently stirred the events that will happen next. Not only did it explain what happened, it also expounded on why and what were its effects.

By Ana F

Aug 28, 2017

The course is great, very complete and didactic. The professor is friendly, talks patiently and deeply about the subject, what makes it easy for us, foreigners, to capture and understand the message. Can't get enough. Thank you!

By Huyen N T T

Aug 20, 2016

The greatest thing about this course is the connection of different events in the history to create a comprehensive picture about the global history. The professor is so nice and presents the course in a very interesting way :)

By Nufdriew

Nov 03, 2016

Although I already had much of the conceptual framework and general history of the course, the presentations filled in the missing detail of events and causes. Beautifully illustrated with art and maps from the different eras.

By Hao S

Sep 26, 2018

It's definitely great experience to follow the professor. In seven weeks, you can experience a lot. You need to think about a lot of issues in this course and maybe you can have more different insights about it. Thanks a lot.

By William R

Apr 15, 2020

Great presentation and knowledgeable professor. Maybe adding some videos would have been interesting and links to outside resources. But overall, this course was definitely worth it and I learned a lot.

Thank you M. Zelikow