Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW
Apr 15, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

76 - 100 of 551 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Amanda C

Apr 28, 2017

Amazing course! Learnt so much, and gained a better appreciation of not just knowing what happened, but analysing the set of options available to individuals at that time to understand why history happened the way it did. Extremely engaging narration and curation of materials.

By Michael P M

May 28, 2017

I found this course to be extremely interesting and very well presented by Professor Zelikow. I was impressed with his deep knowledge of the subject and the way in which he could draw on wider lierary and artistic materials to further elaborate on the topics he discussed.

By Nishant K

May 5, 2020

It was a comprehensive course. The presentations were very much interesting and to the point. I liked the way things were approached and explained. Various concepts and complicated ones were very lucidly explained and it was a fun going through the presentations. Thanks.

By Admario L R

Dec 6, 2015

Great course: professor Zelikow puts into perspective facts that give us an understandable course of History and the role played by choices made by people rather than reviewing purely theoretical explanations or ideological trends to base conclusions. Really enjoyed it!

By Bryan C

Mar 4, 2018

Excellent survey of history, and I personally appreciate the amount of effort the professor put into organizing the material. He really sets the bar for online presentation, and I would not hesitate to recommend this course to anyone who is interested in world history.

By Diogo A

Nov 22, 2020

It is astonishing how engaging and interesting Professor Philip Zelikow manages to structure and present the course material. I found this course (along with its second part) superb, and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting an overview of recent world history.

By Emiko F

May 16, 2020

This course is amazingly interesting. A coherent view of the dynamic period over the world was clearly and interestingly depicted by the lecturer. We can learn a lot of insights to understand and predict the current world based on what happened in the modern world.

By Sandra R

Dec 15, 2015

Instructor is knowledgeable and enjoyable in his lectures. I have completed the requirements for a degree in history prior to taking this course (although I never applied for it). I have learned more by taking this course than I did in the same course in college.

By Joseph C

Sep 9, 2015

Excellent. The professor was just about perfect - high energy and very relaxed. He was a natural in front of the camera. The subject matter was interesting and informative. Coursera and UVA are to be congratulated for providing such a great product. Nicely done.

By Ann-Maree W

Jul 18, 2019

This was a very interesting course! Philip Zelikow is a very good storyteller, who teaches you how to ask questions around these historical events. And he included a lot of nice maps and illustrations that I hope to use in the Global Art History class I teach.

By Michael H

Jul 22, 2020

I loved this course! Professor Zelikow as an excellent instructor and his passion for history flows through this course. It was not just memorizing facts (when), but it more of the "why" did this happen in world history? I can't wait to take part 2!

By Monica S

Nov 19, 2015

Great Course! Shows the political evolution from a Feudal System until we have a Modern World that starts changing very fast through scientific knowledge, and the struggle from imperialism to democratic societies, to dictatorships, military goverments.

By Maria F

Feb 13, 2017

Truly wonderful. I loved this course from beginning to end. The presentations give you just the right amount of information, without overwhelming you with facts and dates.

And there's Part 2, which is equally great.

I thoroughly recommend this course.

By Mohammed A R

I may be biased, being a history enthusiast, but this course is very interesting. It gives both the big picture and the vital details of historical events that reveal our story and how we came to develop the largest of cities with our great ideas.

By Dimitrios E

Sep 2, 2018

It was a truly amazing course that allowed me to learn so much about the period between 1760 and 1910, gave excelent insight to how people though and understood the world at that time and refueled my interest in modern history. I highly recomend it

By Nikolaos T

Nov 19, 2015

I think Professor Philip Zelikow is a charismatic speaker. I enjoy listening such an eloquent teacher.

The content of the lesson is compact, complete, enlightening and inspiring.

I find some of the quiz questions ambiguous.

Thank you very much.

By RISHAV K

Jul 27, 2020

I am at a loss of superlatives to describe this course. The professor is fantastic, the content informative, the presentation spell-binding. Every person, even if remotely interested in the topics of human history, should take this course.

By Seersha N

Nov 2, 2015

Gives an outline of world history emphasizing on the "whys" instead of the "whats". Great course for a beginner in International Relations who seeks to gain a wide view of happenings helped create current political and economic situations.

By Carla S

Jul 6, 2018

I´ve loved every lesson! I have enjoyed Professor Zelikow´s explanations and it´s been easy to understand for me. I had only studied History when I was in High School and this course has encouraged me to keep learning. Very interesting!

By Clio L

Feb 4, 2016

Just excellent!!!! Thank you for this enlightening course, not just for what I've learned but also for the variety of topics for further study the course raised. Already started Part Two!!! Philip Zelikow you are really a great teacher!

By Antony J D H

Jan 30, 2016

Excellent. Thoroughly engaging, thoughtfully organized, and insightful. For anyone interested in the historical events leading to the conditions of the 20th Century, this course is a gateway to that understanding. Highly recommended.

By Jackson C

Feb 2, 2020

Simply sensational, I really liked its cheerful way, the use of excellent paintings, maps, tables. Despite being condensed, I was able to recall several historical facts and combine the knowledge in a more coherent and harmonious way.

By Eirini L

Apr 28, 2017

It's a very open minded course for everyone who wants to learn more about the global history of this period and for everyone who wants to learn some of the skills of a histrian. It has a great pace and a very understandable professor.

By Daniel F A

Sep 30, 2020

A well-thought, and laid-out course, with clear, comprehensive and thoughtfull explanations, and reference to many ways in which you can deepen your understanding of the period. The course keeps progresses in intensity with the weeks.

By mario a m f

May 14, 2018

The professor Zelikow is so clear in his ideas, and with examples all around the world. He gives the essentials of History: everything happens for something and the causes are interconnected. It was a wonderful experience. Thank you.