Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW
Apr 15, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

26 - 50 of 551 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Arjun S

Feb 16, 2018

This is an exceedingly well constructed course presented with ease and confidence. It takes a rather difficult subject and explains it with fluency and most importantly clarity. Even someone who is marginally acquainted with world history from the 18th century onward will find it illuminating and very insightful. It really encourages the student to look deeper into specific issues raised in the course of the lectures. I thoroughly enjoyed all the video lessons and the graded quizzes were just difficult enough to be interesting. I am looking forward to taking the second part of the course.

By Vinayaka H

Dec 22, 2018

I was interested to learn History but books were so boring for me, so I chose Coursera and now I can explore World History, how global forces interact with each other and influence lives of people in the community through this course.

Throughout the course Dr. Philip will not only explain about the history but he also tries to reason "Why it happened ?". In some of the videos, he even decodes the message hidden in art works of the past.

It is indeed a fascinating subject which is beautifully narrated. I look forward to take the second part of World history.

By Virginie d P L

Dear Professor, I really enjoyed the course, the way you describe and explain the interactions between the differents continents & countries, illustrated by some local stories. I enjoyed it also because you are American, so you are looking at the history from a different point of view than would for example a French historian. As a matter of fact, listening to you I had a feeling that you were not very impressed by Napoléon Bonaparte ( which is a great hero in France) , neither by Napoléon the 3rd :), this is a subject I need to explore more. Thank you.

By ANA C C D R L

Oct 3, 2015

The course covers an extensive important period of time and in a very organized way. You never get lost. The quizzes are of remarkable level, very well-thought and never superficial. The way things get related and start making sense helped me get to another level in my knowledge of history. I will never study any subject without making reference to other important events that happened elsewhere. And will always refer my readings on this theme to what I learned in this course. Great chance to watch Professor Zelikow's classes from Brazil. Thanks Coursera!

By CRISTIAN A O Z

Jul 2, 2020

Considero que este curso es perfecto como un complemento a los procesos historiograficos que se observan en los currículos universitarios de historia. A mi parecer fue un curso que me permitió comprender situaciones muy complejas pero de una forma agradable y diferente.

la capacidad de transposición didáctica que nos muestra el profesor es increíble, los conceptos, los momentos históricos y siempre desde una visión de trascendencia y desde la globalidad me dejo maravillado.

lo recomiendo totalmente

By Gleb S

Mar 23, 2020

An absolutely blissful course. A well organised and balanced review of an immense topic, delivered in an engaging and personal style. I can not recommend this course high enough, especially for those who have some understanding of the 19th century history, but are looking for a more overarching and cohesive view. Dr. Zelikow delivers the information at a perfect pace and in an engaging manner, and it is hard to imagine how the course can be improved, as it clearly achieves what is sets out to do.

By Kelly

Oct 17, 2015

I'm enjoying this course very much and looking forward to Part II. I appreciate the approach that ties everything together with larger themes and trends -- and identifies the reasons and motivations behind them as well as identifying regional causes for global events and the impact of global events on individual regions. This class is accessible to students who are not history majors but on the other hand is not simplified -- it's challenging enough to keep intelligent people interested.

By Skylar F

Feb 2, 2017

Wow, what a fantastic class. I love how Philip doesn't just talk about a bunch of dates, but really brings in humor, paintings, poems or things from literature, and really does a great job of painting a global view. But it doesn't feel overwhelming considering the topic. Things are presented in an easy-to-understand way each class, and you can tell he really likes this topic, as I found myself more and more interested in all that he was presenting. That's the sign of a great teacher.

By Frances M

May 2, 2017

The course covered a huge amount of material but was presented in a clear concise way. I liked the way it pulled together so many different ideas and referred to places all over the world, giving the big picture as well as a fair amount of illustrative detail. The presenter was clear and concise in his delivery and paced it so the student could follow quite complicated material easily. I would have like to have the results of the quizzes before deciding whether to purchase

By Changez J

Aug 15, 2017

This is a fantastic course. I have read many books on this period in history including Eric Hobswam, some on China, the American Civil War etc. This course very nicely summarizes the relationships of these events and also take a look at the WHY part.

I highly recommend this to student of history. I also recognize thanks to the help of the course on the IT revolution that we currently see and the disruption that is caused by it in our lives.

By Ian N

An excellent course drawing together so many facets. We tend to learn history in silos - where we know about European history, Latin American history, American history and Asian history, but largely in isolation from one another and thus fail to see many of the interconnecting themes, and how what happens in one part of the world influences change in another. With this course, and part 2, you can begin to attain that perspective.

By Deepansh K

May 2, 2020

This is a perfectly structured course. The professor is one of the best instructors one could hope for on a subject like History. The course delves into the events unfolding around the world. However, it also manages to tie them together into a sort of "why" and "why not" and "what else could have happened" perspective, which is essential to understanding the events. I've already enrolled for Part Two, and I cannot wait to begin.

Jun 6, 2020

Excellent class. I made myself comfortable and listened intently to a professor whose demeanor both vocally and visually invited spirited attention. I enjoyed how it was not a linear depiction of history but one that demonstrated history as ongoing and alive when dealing with situations, solutions and then new and different problems. Thank you Professor Zelikow. I am looking forward to part 2 of history in the modern world.

By Jorge L P V

Jan 14, 2016

Es un excelente curso en el que te sumerges en la historia global del siglo XVIII a inicios del XIX. El único pero que le pondría es que no profundiza demasiado en la historia de Latinoamérica, se centra en algunos países en específico lo que hace que se pierdan algunas cosas que me gustaría conocer más a fondo. En términos generales es un curso excelente, bien explicado e incluso entretenido además de interesante.

By Lisa S

Aug 1, 2016

I just audited this course for the fun of it with an interest in seeing patterns from the past in order to understand our present. I enjoyed the presentation and the professor's thematic approach and his relaxed conversational presentation style. I feel like I got exactly what I hoped to get out of it. I particularly found his use of images from the various countries and time periods helpful and memorable.

By John S S I

Feb 3, 2016

Professor Zelikow is making the subject interesting and is presenting me, for the 1st time with insight into the causes of many wars and revolutions in not only the Americas, but also in Europe and how they were all largely tied to the same causes. It has also opened my eyes to what is going on in the World today and how similar some of the underlying causes are the same now as they were in centuries past.

By Gloria W

Aug 5, 2020

thought invoking and very insightful! Really constructive to understanding the reasons and choices made by individuals rather than the traditional narrative. These ideas and patterns can be continually observed in present day, all culminating to the fact that history is interconnected and a ongoing narrative. Big words aside, this class really fueled my love for history! would strongly recommend!

By william m

Aug 14, 2020

A fantastic introduction to the world contemporary. This was the first course I took with Coursera and I did not know what to expect. Professor Zelikow helps us revisit and put in perspective facts and historical episodes we think we know. The quality of the course went beyond my expectations. Highly recommended and delighted to see there is a second course covering the contemporary period.

By Arjav P

May 6, 2020

What an amazing journey it was through modern world till 1910. I have really learned a lot from this course. History of various countries through various perspectives is really important plus point of this course. Prof. zelikov makes you think and goes deeper in every aspect of the history. I feel myself lucky to have this online course.

Thanks coursera and the team of University of Virginia.

By Darcy R J

Dec 3, 2015

I actually took the pair of courses in backwards order and as I was finishing Part one (after part II) I was ready to go and do Part II again.

Really enjoyed these to courses very much. Enough detail but also broad enough to cover many things that were happening in the world.

Highly recommended as a course to get an overview on what was happening in the 2 plus centuries this course covers.

By Weronika P

Oct 23, 2018

The course is really interesting with and provides a great, broad perspective on the events of 18th and 19th Century. It's not focused on the dates and single events, but rather looks at the processes their origins and consequences. The lectures are a pleasure to watch and are packed with facts and analysis. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to learn more about the modern history!

By Isaac T

Oct 1, 2020

The lecturer focuses on the reasons and circumstances which drive historical events, rather than just lay out the events without reasoning. It is shown how art in its many forms demonstrates and mirrors the views of the common people, of the elite, and of whole ideologies. The course motivates initiative by showing how historically initiative was the reason for progress and success.

By Dawn J

Jul 8, 2017

Fascinating and broad, I have studied this time period on two occasions at different educational establishments as part of other courses but I still found this course engaging. It gives a broad and fairly global view of events - and shows the interconnections, which I thought was very good. I hope to be able to find time to take the second part of this course in the near future.

By Janet W

Apr 3, 2016

This course gave me an overall understanding of the globe of that period of time. This course helped me to understand why individual countries were in the situation they were. I am not into academic pursue but fully enjoyed the course. The professor was very clear about his ideas and pleasant to follow. Highly recommend for all people interested in modern history.

By Sohini B

Feb 17, 2018

It is a great course. Professor Zeliklow smiles and converses with us the great events of world history. He explains to us in depth why did the things happened as they did. In this 7 weeks course, I have learned a lot about the world history from 1760 to 1910. Many gaps in my knowledge has been filled by the depth of the matter. Thank you for this great course.