Back to Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”) by University of Pennsylvania

ModPo is a fast-paced introduction to modern and contemporary U.S. poetry, with an emphasis on experimental verse, from Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman to the present. Participants (who need no prior experience with poetry) will learn how to read poems that are supposedly "difficult." We encounter and discuss the poems one at a time. It's much easier than it seems! Join us and try it! ModPo is open all year, so you can enroll now, or any time, and join us. Each year we host a lively, interactive 10-week session, in which we move together through the ten-week syllabus. The next live 10-week session of ModPo will begin on September 4, 2021, and will conclude on November 15, 2021. Al Filreis will be in touch with you by email before the September 4 start of the course with all the information you'll need to participate. If you have questions, you can email the ModPo team any time at modpo@writing.upenn.edu. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org. During the 10 weeks of the course, you will be guided through poems, video discussions of each poem, and community discussions of each poem. And (unique among open online courses) we offer weekly, interactive live webcasts. Our famed TAs also offer office hours throughout the week. We help arrange meet-ups and in-site study groups. If you are curious about the ModPo team, type "ModPo YouTube introduction" into Google or your favorite search engine, and watch the 20-minute introductory video. You will get an overview of the course and will meet the brilliant TAs, who will be encountering the poems with you all the way to the end. If you use Facebook, join the always-thriving ModPo group: from inside Facebook, search for "Modern & Contemporary American Poetry" and then request to be added as a member. If you have any questions about ModPo, you can post a question to the FB group and you'll receive an almost instant reply. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org . We tweet all year long at @ModPoPenn and you can also find ModPo colleagues using the hashtag #ModPoLive. ModPo is hosted by—and is housed at—the Kelly Writers House at 3805 Locust Walk on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia USA. All ModPo'ers are welcome to visit the Writers House when they are in our area. Our discussions are filmed there. Our live webcasts take place in the famed "Arts Cafe" of the House. To find out what's going on at the Writers House any time, just dial 215-746-POEM....

WC
Mar 20, 2017

best coursera class of them all. The instructor and teaching assistants are closely in the class + there is a lot more interaction with them and the rest of the students than any other MOOC.

MF
Dec 29, 2016

Enriching, wide reaching in scope. The Prof. Al Filreis lets ideas, not necessarily his own, in for debate and comment. The TAs are simply brilliant both in form and content. Bravo!

76 - 100 of 119 Reviews for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

By Xinshu A X

Nov 20, 2016

Tons of thanks and appreciation to Al, TAs, and everyone who has enjoyed Modpo as much as I do in the past two months!

By Treva S

Sep 14, 2016

More than a course. More than poetry. More than it's international community. More than edifying. More than inspiring.

By Lawrence T

Mar 20, 2019

Oh, where to start??? The community!!! Thank you just for being there.

If you wander far enough

you will come to it

By KayCee K W

Nov 21, 2016

Any one who loves poetry or reading, as in what you think about the words your reading will enjoy this class!

By Niels M S

May 29, 2017

Mind blowing and life-changing. Some of the best teaching I have ever received, in class or in the internet.

By Shabab N K

Nov 22, 2016

Simply the best course you will ever participate in. Online or in real.

Modpo is like a family to me now.

By Yaron A

Oct 24, 2016

Wonderful course! Very enlightening. It taught me a lot about reading poetry that I didn't know.

By roya n

Sep 13, 2020

this course gave me a whole new perspective on how to read and most importantly feel POETRY

By Christopher F

Nov 27, 2016

In both its content and its pedagogy, this is the best MOOC I've taken. Highly recommended.

By AHENDRILA G

Sep 20, 2020

Best. Thing. Ever. Thank you for making me fall in love with poetry, in ten weeks time!

By Brian S

Jan 30, 2020

This class was challenging, enriching and it was worth every moment that I put into it.

By dina h

Nov 22, 2016

If there were more stars, I would have selected them. Highly recommend this course!

By Bin L

Oct 10, 2017

Wonderful course. I love all the discussions and interpretations of modern poetry.

By Kathleen C

Oct 11, 2020

Exceptional class, carefully crafted to give the learner an optimal experience.

By Juliana L B

May 9, 2020

I LOVED THIS COURSE AND IN MY OPINION IT IS A COMPLETE COURSE ABOUT LITERATURE

By Laura R

Dec 2, 2020

I have enjoyed this immeasurably

With my utmost gratitude to all

Laura

By Charles L

Nov 9, 2016

A great course to enhance one's curiosity in the art of modern poetry!

By Piyush S

Oct 6, 2016

Exceptional course content. Very creative way to make students learn.

By Cristiana B

Oct 6, 2020

I really would like a certificate of attendance out of this course

By Bob B

Mar 31, 2020

It's 10 weeks of bliss.... this is what education should be like!

By Jefferson B

Nov 13, 2020

By far the most satisfying online experience I have had.

By Purnima

Apr 19, 2020

It offered a totally new dimension to reading poetry.

By Katia R

Jul 27, 2017

Fantastic community! Have been with ModPo since 2014!

By Louiza

Sep 21, 2019

One of the very best courses!!!!

By Kaushik B