Back to Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”) by University of Pennsylvania

ModPo is a fast-paced introduction to modern and contemporary U.S. poetry, with an emphasis on experimental verse, from Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman to the present. Participants (who need no prior experience with poetry) will learn how to read poems that are supposedly "difficult." We encounter and discuss the poems one at a time. It's much easier than it seems! Join us and try it! ModPo is open all year, so you can enroll now, or any time, and join us. Each year we host a lively, interactive 10-week session, in which we move together through the ten-week syllabus. The next live 10-week session of ModPo will begin on September 4, 2021, and will conclude on November 15, 2021. Al Filreis will be in touch with you by email before the September 4 start of the course with all the information you'll need to participate. If you have questions, you can email the ModPo team any time at modpo@writing.upenn.edu. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org. During the 10 weeks of the course, you will be guided through poems, video discussions of each poem, and community discussions of each poem. And (unique among open online courses) we offer weekly, interactive live webcasts. Our famed TAs also offer office hours throughout the week. We help arrange meet-ups and in-site study groups. If you are curious about the ModPo team, type "ModPo YouTube introduction" into Google or your favorite search engine, and watch the 20-minute introductory video. You will get an overview of the course and will meet the brilliant TAs, who will be encountering the poems with you all the way to the end. If you use Facebook, join the always-thriving ModPo group: from inside Facebook, search for "Modern & Contemporary American Poetry" and then request to be added as a member. If you have any questions about ModPo, you can post a question to the FB group and you'll receive an almost instant reply. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org . We tweet all year long at @ModPoPenn and you can also find ModPo colleagues using the hashtag #ModPoLive. ModPo is hosted by—and is housed at—the Kelly Writers House at 3805 Locust Walk on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia USA. All ModPo'ers are welcome to visit the Writers House when they are in our area. Our discussions are filmed there. Our live webcasts take place in the famed "Arts Cafe" of the House. To find out what's going on at the Writers House any time, just dial 215-746-POEM....

WC
Mar 20, 2017

best coursera class of them all. The instructor and teaching assistants are closely in the class + there is a lot more interaction with them and the rest of the students than any other MOOC.

MF
Dec 29, 2016

Enriching, wide reaching in scope. The Prof. Al Filreis lets ideas, not necessarily his own, in for debate and comment. The TAs are simply brilliant both in form and content. Bravo!

76 - 100 of 143 Reviews for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

By Quentin Y

Mar 24, 2021

'One word is too often profaned for me to profane it.'

I too used to believe poetry is no more than the lines-broken 'what' of prose, but now I understand poetry is the 'how', which helps me to LOVE POETRY better.

By Laura A

Nov 16, 2020

This is one of the most outstanding courses I have encountered. A fully immersive experience with rewarding debates, discussions and wonderful exposure to a variety of forms of poetry with endless "possibility.'

By Stephanie R

May 1, 2020

A terrific course. Sometimes the students' comments were wandering and full of hesitation and I would have preferred to hear more from the professor. But overall, I enjoyed the format and the content very much,

By Barbara K

Aug 12, 2021

T​his course has opened up the world and poetry like no other subject for me. The enjoyment and breadth of subjects, the language, sounds, the expression....... I could go on but I feel like I am on a journey

By Scrambled E

Dec 10, 2016

Best online poetry course ever! I highly recommend it to all writers, not just poets. The development of modern and contemporary poetry goes hand and foot with the development of American literature and art.

By Maria R

Jun 24, 2018

I really enjoyed how dinamic it was. Although the classes were like little debates, the professor was able to guide the students. When talking about poetry, I find this method very refreshing. Good job!

By David W

Nov 6, 2020

I learned a lot and enjoyed, had fun with and absorbed all of the reading I did and all of the readings others did.

I would take this course again (maybe I WILL) and would avidly recommend it to others.

By Celina C F

Sep 21, 2016

Excellent every way you look at it. Great discussions, learned a lot with all the poems and papers. Also, you get to be a part of a really great community. You will never feel lonely again.:)

By Jason D

Sep 4, 2021

A​ life-changing course. This massive, world-wide community never stops learning, never stops exploring. I've learned so much about modern poetry, but I've gained so much more.

By jake a

Dec 5, 2020

one of the best on-line courses on poetry I have seen. I learned so much from the course which helped me with my own writing as an amateur poet. Highly recommended.

By Jane W

Dec 14, 2020

This is a wonderful course taught by a talented group of people who love poetry and discussing poetry. Once you join this community, you will never want to leave!

By Ken H

Jun 1, 2021

The course is pretty much an unending source (and resource) of poetry and ideas about poetry up to the present day. New poets are being introduced constantly.

By Anu

May 1, 2021

I was not a fan of poetry, found it hard to breakdown and understand. ModPo did a great job in showing me how to read and understand poetry.

By Raquel F

Aug 20, 2021

Es un curso fabuloso. He tardado tiempo en hacerlo porque quería empaparme bien de todo. Sin duda volveré a él. Gracias por esta maravilla.

By Maeve O

Nov 17, 2016

I did most of this on my commute and it was so much fun. It has impacted my perception of modern poetry - the difference is spreading.

By Arya B N

Oct 23, 2020

Awesome course. This course made me fall in love with poetry even more and realise its endless scope and implications.

By Xinshu A X

Nov 20, 2016

Tons of thanks and appreciation to Al, TAs, and everyone who has enjoyed Modpo as much as I do in the past two months!

By Treva S

Sep 14, 2016

More than a course. More than poetry. More than it's international community. More than edifying. More than inspiring.

By Steven S

Feb 16, 2021

Awesome class! I learned so much and never once felt talked down to. I recommend to anyone interested in learning.

By Lawrence T

Mar 20, 2019

Oh, where to start??? The community!!! Thank you just for being there.

If you wander far enough

you will come to it

By KayCee K

Nov 21, 2016

Any one who loves poetry or reading, as in what you think about the words your reading will enjoy this class!

By Niels M S

May 29, 2017

Mind blowing and life-changing. Some of the best teaching I have ever received, in class or in the internet.

By Shabab N K

Nov 22, 2016

Simply the best course you will ever participate in. Online or in real.

Modpo is like a family to me now.

By Lily W

May 6, 2021

Amazing, stimulating course! Well presented and thought provoking! Al and the TA's are the best!

By Yaron A

Oct 24, 2016

Wonderful course! Very enlightening. It taught me a lot about reading poetry that I didn't know.