Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

251 - 275 of 748 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Lauren

Apr 16, 2020

A very interesting, enjoyable and beautiful course about Mountains. The instructors are first class. The course materials are wonderful, and the interdisciplinary approach is a real bonus. Highly recommended course.

By MOHAMMED S C

May 15, 2020

I understand more significance’s of mountains that give to our environment in a well explained scientific way.

This course make me much lover of mountains.

Tech tips program are good informative one for mountaineers.

By Eduardo J K

Nov 29, 2020

Curso fantástico para uma introdução sobre o tema, abordando diversos tópicos. Os professores e convidados são engajados e compreendem de forma profunda os temas que ensinam. O material e os vídeos são muito bons.

By Robert W

Feb 12, 2021

Packed with information, presented by great, relatable professors. Loved the historical contexts and all the detail. Obviously a lot of people were involved in the production of this course. They did a great job.

By Meenal S D

Aug 20, 2020

An excellent course for Mountain and nature lovers. Very well structured.

Would love to learn more, through a series of more courses dedicated to

detailed study of Mountains in different continents of the world.

By Patricio N

Apr 19, 2020

Very interesting. It is great to get inspired by people who love mountains. Think about a National Park series documentary. The tips and the interactive map was a very nice touch. I highly recommend this course.

By Alex C

May 8, 2020

I really enjoyed this course :-) The enthusiasm of the teachers and the content were a joy. I learnt many weird and wonderful things, many thanks for this excellent course...i look forward to any follow ups!!!

By helena m

Jan 28, 2021

Beutifully explained + varied input by different contributors + great videos + awesome summary notes + meaningful yet challenging quizzes...

Thanks a million for this great course. I have enjoyed it so much!!

By Vanessa A

Apr 15, 2020

Such a fun and interesting course! I loved how the instructors included different disciplines in the importance of mountains and the interactive map was an awesome way to learn about mountains I never knew.

By Benoit W

Apr 12, 2020

A wonderful all-rounded course that transported me into the magical and precious world of mountains, and reinforced my desire to learn, understand and enjoy being in them going forward. Thank you very much!

By Albert

Apr 8, 2018

Congratulations for this excellent course! And congratulations for your excellent Canada Prime Minister! it was a surprise to heard him! An exemple to follow for the rest of politicians around the world :-)

By Eva F

Mar 14, 2017

I very much enjoyed this great and well presented course! It helped broaden my knowledge of mountains as so many different environmental and societal aspects were discussed. Looking forward to follow-ups!

By Amber M

Feb 1, 2019

Loved the course and learning an all around study of mountains from history to preservation to the wildlife and biodiversity. Also appreciated the tech tips! This is a great course for all nature lovers.

By Bret L

Nov 15, 2018

Absolutely amazing course! It is full of information that provides a great starting point to learn more in a variety of mountain subjects. Also, all throughout the course are amazing videos and imagery!

By Ben S

Feb 12, 2021

By Nancy L M

Jul 21, 2020

Fascinating facts. Memorable images. Engaging instructors and commentators. Gets it just right as a presentation for "101" learners as to breadth and depth of content, explanation and enthusiasm.

By Ron G

Feb 4, 2021

Well organized and excellent presentations. It provided me with an excellent perspective on the reality of mountains and the importance of them to the world. Highly recommended for all Canadians.

By Robert H

Jan 7, 2021

An excllent introduuction to mountains and the complex interactions that occur there. I really enjoyed the interdisciplinary components and the human interaction in the course. Well done U ofA!

By Fazla Z A

Aug 10, 2020

Awesome content and video production. Very interesting and covers a wide range of topics. As some that enjoys mountain recreations, it is a good primer on the environment I spend so much time in.

By Tseng-Mau Y

Apr 20, 2020

By Neil H

Apr 10, 2020

This was a great way to learn and spend time in a valuable way during isolation while I can't physically be in the mountains. Can't wait to see what knowledge sticks the next time I'm out there!

By Liza v G

Jun 21, 2018

Thanks to Zac Robinson and David Hic and all the other ones. Nice voices, good music, beautiful pictures. Very interesting. I have enjoyed this course very much. Good Luck and Love from Holland.

By Charles T

May 2, 2020

Extremely informative and well presented by the professors. The added insight of various other scientists and members of Parks Canada amplified the understanding of lesson subjects. Thank you!!

By Carlos B G

Jan 8, 2021

This is the best coursera course I have taken so far. I have enjoyed every minute of it. The content is superb, the guest speakers are very interesting and the main instructors are excellent.