Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

DD

Nov 2, 2021

Great course, full of useful knowledge, interesting facts, magnificent landscapes and surprises like mountains environment itself. It was just amazing! Thank you so much, I really enjoyed this course.

SK

Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

251 - 275 of 875 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Laura M M G

Apr 1, 2021

The best course for me! Each lesson was very interesting, I learned many things that I did not know and I broadened my perspectives. You can see the effort and the will of each person who participated in this course. I recommend it to everybody:)

By zoeluca

Feb 2, 2021

Wonderful course, everything was well explained. The sections have continuity and keep the attention focused. The presenters did a great job and I loved that they spoke clearly and not very fast. A well documented course. I will do it again soon.

By Kirsty S

Sep 20, 2021

An excellent course. A great balance of information and interaction. I love all the different perspectives from so many knowledgeable people. This course empowers you to be an environmental steward toward the protection of mountain environments.

By Shanda W

Jul 24, 2020

Very fun and interesting course. The instructors were friendly and informative. I really enjoyed the course content and learned a lot. Can’t wait to get out and enjoy mountains and the amazing world we are lucky to live in. Thank you so much!

By Maia R

May 12, 2020

Fabulous wealth of information. I have always been inspired by mountains but this course introduces a wide range of perspectives, as well as handy practical tips, and has given me new appreciation for mountain landscapes and their importance.

By Claudia B

Apr 9, 2020

The only thing, I did not like about the course: It ended too early. Great course, stunning pictures, great teachers, lots of informations, impressive bandwith of issues. Thank you so much & hope to see this team again in mountains 102 :-)

By Tom K

Apr 14, 2017

LOVED this course!!!! I am looking to have a fulltime career in the ski industry and this was a great base to have. Am hoping that this might develop into more courses ie Mountain Economics or Preservation of Mountain Ecosystems...Thanks.

By Gerard d

Sep 22, 2021

L​ooking to expand my knowledge of mountains and climate, this course also became a small place of refuge from the monotany of negative news cycles and working as an RN in an ER. Thankyou to our Mountain Guides for sharing their knowledge.

By Max G

Oct 27, 2020

Excellent course. I’m neither a newcomer to Mountains, mountain cultures, mountain climbing nor mountain safety, and I found this course to be exceptionally entertaining and informative and just fun. Made me want to visit Canada! Thanks.

By Charles G

Jul 31, 2020

This is a great thorough course on all aspects of mountain studies! However, it needs some updating. Some information provided is more than 5 years old. Many of the references are also old and some require additional fees for access.

By Kapil E

Mar 15, 2020

An excellent course, very inspiring to see the Canadian Government efforts in conserving mountains. The lectures were all informative and shot in beautiful backgrounds. The tech tips were useful and fun! Overall a most wonderful course.

By Elizabet T

Apr 30, 2021

Interesting and comprehensive. Thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the mountains I love, and many I had never heard about. The lessons were engaging. I plan on delving deeper into plate tectonics, volcanoes, and glaciers. Thank you!

By Clifford C

Jun 29, 2020

Very thorough discussion for an introductory course. Definitely whet the appetite for additional coursework dealing with our natural environment. Very well delivered and easy to follow along. Thank you for providing this opportunity!

By Nara

Jun 11, 2021

Fantastic Course.

I learnt a lot of aspects about Mountains - geological origin, structures, bio- diversity, importance of glaciers, impact of climate, human and other anthropogenic activities. Overall,a well planned,executed course.

By Julia M

Dec 19, 2020

Very information course, great regardless of your academic background! I love the style of the lecture videos which include great tech tips, interviews, photographs, and demonstrations of concepts. Overall a really fantastic course!

By Lisa C

Sep 13, 2020

I would give this course 10 stars if I could. It's fascinating and fabulous, extremely well produced, and really an overall excellent experience. It's been a Covid lifesaver- I've enjoyed the vicarious travel and beautiful scenery.

By Miko T

Sep 5, 2020

Incredibly enjoyable course for anybody with an interest in mountains or even just in the environment in general. The lecturers are cool and the different segments are engaging. The tech tips are a really good bonus to each week.

By Kerianne H

Aug 8, 2020

One of the best MOOC I have ever taken. So wonderfully instructed, edited and presented. So much time and collaboration was used and the result is amazing! So proud to have content of this caliber come from a Canadian University

By Kathy P

Jan 31, 2021

What an interesting course focusing on mountains but I learned so much more than just information about mountains themselves. Wonderful instructors and guests that shared their knowledge made this a really enjoyable experience!

By Michael W

Jan 10, 2018

Very interesting course, with excellent presenters. Having grown up in the small mountains of Cumbria (The English Lake District) it was very impressive to see and learn about the big mountain ranges of the world. Thank you!

By Jody

Feb 7, 2021

What a great way to present mountains of the world in a compelling and understandable way. Thank you for a wonderful course. What a great base knowledge of mountains that will serve me well in future adventures and education.

By Dr.Shailashree S

Jul 20, 2020

Thank you professors, the videos are so awesome that I felt like I am watching them really, so beautiful scenes of mountains and all other pictures, really enjoyed and seen all the videos completely, hats off to you sirs.

By Eamon H

Jul 15, 2020

Great course covering a wide range of topics concerning mountains from physical geography, climate and biodiversity to human perspectives. Would highly recommend this course for anyone with an interest in mountain landscapes.