Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

251 - 275 of 790 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Jody

Feb 7, 2021

What a great way to present mountains of the world in a compelling and understandable way. Thank you for a wonderful course. What a great base knowledge of mountains that will serve me well in future adventures and education.

By Dr.Shailashree S

Jul 20, 2020

Thank you professors, the videos are so awesome that I felt like I am watching them really, so beautiful scenes of mountains and all other pictures, really enjoyed and seen all the videos completely, hats off to you sirs.

By Eamon H

Jul 15, 2020

Great course covering a wide range of topics concerning mountains from physical geography, climate and biodiversity to human perspectives. Would highly recommend this course for anyone with an interest in mountain landscapes.

By Lydia W

Jun 19, 2020

Mountains 101 was a pleasure to learn during lockdown. The videos were well paced and informative, and the lecturers and guest speakers were all brilliant. I'm really sad to have finished! Thank you (from Manchester, England)

By Shubham S

Aug 23, 2020

outstanding experience , should be made available in multiple languages across the world specially in Asian countries at school level to educate young students to join forces against climate change and increasing pollution.

By Brice P

Jan 27, 2018

Really good content and very interesting. The tech tips are a little vapid for the average outdoors person, but a good try to add something different.

My favorite was the module on altitudes effects and adaptations on humans

By Matúš S

Sep 2, 2017

Excellent course, it provides very good information about mountains from various perspectives. I will make sure to go through this course once again in the future and get the certificate! Thank you for making Mountains 101.

By Arenell R

Sep 22, 2020

I have completed 8 courses from various institutions over the past year and have found this course by far the best! I enjoyed the variety of aspects covered in much detail and inputs from different experts in their fields.

By Robert S

Jun 13, 2020

I only wish there were a Mountains 102, 103, and more from the same University of Alberta team. I may suffer from withdrawal symptoms.....though a run in my local mountains after passing the last test was some consolation!

By Jan E

May 13, 2020

great multidisciplinary information in a appealing package, paired with relaxing mountain vistas - almost like a small vacation including interpretative hikes with park rangers, while I'm physically stuck at home - thanks!

By Svetlana R

Mar 13, 2017

Learned a lots of really interesting infomation about mountains. Thanks a lot, it was realy beautiful and breathtaking adventure and I was sad it's finished - like I always feel when my journey somewhere comes to the end.

By AREZIA G

Oct 18, 2020

I really (really really) enjoyed this course. Very well structured, never boring and with a lot of unexpected topics.

Honestly the best course i have taken and to be 100% honest now that I completed the course I am sad.

By Ang C C

May 3, 2020

This is a multi-disciplinary course and I really enjoyed it as we learned various topics concerning mountains, glaciers, and the importance of mountain. I am pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this course is in fact.

By Mitch B

Feb 27, 2017

Great course and very well presented. Sometimes I spent more time looking at the spectacular pictures than listening to the instructors. I live near Banff National Park in Canmore so I recognized a lot of the pictures.

By rohan b

Jun 14, 2020

Dear Team,

Greetings!

Thank you for giving the opportunity to complete this course.However, I would be highly appreciate if you kindly award me a certificate for the same.

Rohan Bagwe,

Mumbai, India

rohanbagwe29@gmail.com

By Tracey G

Aug 30, 2020

The excellent course instructors made great use of media, examples, and locations. I especially appreciated the wide variety of inputs and interviews.

Like enjoying a very good book, I was sad when it came to the end.

By Lauren

Apr 16, 2020

A very interesting, enjoyable and beautiful course about Mountains. The instructors are first class. The course materials are wonderful, and the interdisciplinary approach is a real bonus. Highly recommended course.

By Yitsully G G

Mar 28, 2021

I could improve my knowledge in environmental studies related with mountains and study these topics in english. My native language is spanish, so I am very happy to practice and learn more in english. Thanks a lot.

By MOHAMMED S C

May 15, 2020

I understand more significance’s of mountains that give to our environment in a well explained scientific way.

This course make me much lover of mountains.

Tech tips program are good informative one for mountaineers.

By Eduardo J K

Nov 29, 2020

Curso fantástico para uma introdução sobre o tema, abordando diversos tópicos. Os professores e convidados são engajados e compreendem de forma profunda os temas que ensinam. O material e os vídeos são muito bons.

By Robert W

Feb 12, 2021

Packed with information, presented by great, relatable professors. Loved the historical contexts and all the detail. Obviously a lot of people were involved in the production of this course. They did a great job.

By Meenal S D

Aug 20, 2020

An excellent course for Mountain and nature lovers. Very well structured.

Would love to learn more, through a series of more courses dedicated to

detailed study of Mountains in different continents of the world.

By Patricio N

Apr 19, 2020

Very interesting. It is great to get inspired by people who love mountains. Think about a National Park series documentary. The tips and the interactive map was a very nice touch. I highly recommend this course.

By Alex C

May 8, 2020

I really enjoyed this course :-) The enthusiasm of the teachers and the content were a joy. I learnt many weird and wonderful things, many thanks for this excellent course...i look forward to any follow ups!!!

By helena m

Jan 28, 2021

Beutifully explained + varied input by different contributors + great videos + awesome summary notes + meaningful yet challenging quizzes...

Thanks a million for this great course. I have enjoyed it so much!!