Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

201 - 225 of 792 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Ryan C

May 14, 2020

A very informative and thought out course. The videos are great and along with the transcript is perfect.

Love the little guide videos as well. Your attention may start to wander in some of the lengthier videos, but its a great course. worth the time and effort of completing it.

By Katie C

Oct 11, 2020

Very clearly presented covering a variety of topical environmental and cultural issues, encouraging good practise in the mountains and an informative learning tool. Highly recommended for first time learners or as a refresher for those who already have a mountain background.

By Desislava D

Truly wonderful experience in the mountain world. Interactive teaching method with a lot of examples and expert opinions the course is suitable for mountain lovers regardless of their educational background.

Take your time and enter this illustration of the world we live in.

By Amy

Nov 5, 2017

Wonderful, comprehensive look at mountain formation, climate, habitat, biodiversity, and the impacts of humans both now and in the past. I especially enjoyed the historical lessons on mountains and the human imagination in eastern and western societies. Highly recommended!

By Giovanni C R R C

Nov 4, 2020

Excelente, me gustó mucho, aprendí mucho sobre la formación de las montañas, la biodiversidad que las habitan, la influencia en el clima del planeta, y la importancia que tienen para muchas cultural alrededor del mundo, y como extra varios tips para viajar a las montañas!

By Adam B

Jan 23, 2017

Fantastic course, so interesting! Loved every lesson. Will be recommending this course to all my friends. Thanks to the U of A for putting it together. Congrats to Drs. Hik and Robinson for a job well done. Can hardly wait until Mountains 201 is offered. So appreciative.

By Emmy

Sep 1, 2020

Thank you very much. I learned so much on this course. I particularly liked how integrated the course was, the inclusion of many famous mountains (and the mountain maps) and the talks with industry experts. The lecturers are great and clearly passionate about mountains.

By Ali Y

Apr 20, 2017

Without the doubt this was one of most amazing courses which I be taken so far. It was my first Official Course and I had enjoyed a lot by watching lectures, reading some extra notes, and completing the quizzes

My Sincere Thanks to Coursera team and University of Alberta

By Things A

Jul 18, 2020

I was blown away by this course. It is informative, interesting, very enjoyable, and well put together. It magnified my fascination with mountains - and my knowledge about them too. Thank you for providing such good material, I am truly impressed by all this good work.

By Tyler R

Aug 19, 2019

This course was amazing. I really appreciate the effort of everyone involved in making it happen. David and Zac were fantastic instructors. It has really helped me expand my knowledge and appreciation for mountains. My favourite topics were glaciers and climate change.

By Shawn F

Very comprehensive overview of the significance of mountain environments as they relate to geology, ecology, and humanity. Engaging and refined content that presents the information in a way that continued to surprise me with insights that I never would have expected.

By Helen H

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you so much for bringing the mountains of the world into my little world. I have learned so much about the mountains in every continent of the world. David and Zac have done an amazing job in passing on their wealth of expertise and knowledge about mountains.

By Tawna H

Apr 19, 2020

The course gave informative material in many aspects of mountains. Everything about this course was really well done, to the examples, the pop quiz’s, and the interviewers that gave their perspective on the lesson at hand. I would recommend this course to everyone...

By Amit T

Jul 23, 2017

This course provides overview of why mountains are important and how they affect humans. Information about different mountain ranges, glaciers, rivers is something I enjoyed most. The tips at the end of each course is nice. This course met my expectations completely!

By Barbara S

Mar 11, 2021

This was one of the best courses I have taken. It was well organized, presented in a clear and easy to follow manner, full of information. I have taken other science courses with the University of Alberta, and have found all of their courses to be well presented.

By Meagan F

Apr 3, 2020

This course was fantastic! We really enjoyed the thought that went into planning a course that covered so many diverse topics relating to mountains. Thank you for all your efforts. We love mountains even more now! We'll be celebrating December 11th from now on :)

By Nikola J

Nov 3, 2017

Unbelievable source of information for people that are not pro. Really nice set of instructions, with lot of animations that describes all topics. Really worth of time and effort to understand all. At the end, we are getting closer to the Earth with this classes.

By omkar b

Jun 6, 2020

This course is easily comprehensible and enriching for those who intend to study ecology. It was extremely well-curated and helped me discover my profound interest in understanding mountains and its associated cultures! Thank you for this amazing experience!

By Jean L

Apr 10, 2017

What a great class! It was so engaging, with beautiful photos and a good mix of biology and social sciences. Technical topics were well explained with nice diagrams and the guest experts provided great examples of in depth knowledge. I loved Mountains 101!!!

By Seila T

Jul 15, 2019

What a beautiful and insightful course! The multidisciplinary nature of the course makes it very informative, but also entertaining, and the level of the lessons is challenging without being too difficult. Great instructors, great content and great course!

By Sharal D

Apr 19, 2020

It was not just a course, it was an amazing journey that has left me appreciating mountains and related ecosystems more than ever before. Lots of love to all the course instructors and guest speakers for making such an amazing course. Absolutely loved it!

By Olga K

Sep 16, 2019

It's a fantastic course! I felt very motivated throughout and both course leaders were very engaging in their way of presenting. I also loved the quality of the materials and the possibility of going beyond by doing additional reading. Highly recommended!

By Emiko T

Aug 5, 2020

This course is beautifully made. I have taken several online course, and this course is the best so far! I am very grateful to take this course. Thank you very much for all the effort to create this beautiful and has a lot of information and knowledge!!!

By Timo K

Feb 23, 2018

Absolutely fantastic! Brilliantly diverse, and with spectacular images, videos, animations and interviews, this course has reaffirmed my appreciation for mountains, strengthened my knowledge of the environment, and has brought me academic joy. Well done!

By Ayush B

Apr 27, 2020

As someone who has a deep interest in the cryosphere and glaciers this course has enabled me to become more knowledgeable in this field. I highly recommend this course for anyone who wishes to know more about mountains and their importance to the world.