Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK

Dec 23, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

JJ

Aug 01, 2020

Incredibly well-produced set of videos that are highly educational, well-rounded, beautiful, and interesting. I hope it leaves you wanting to both visit and protect these places, as it did for me.

276 - 300 of 643 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Gabriel t

Mar 21, 2017

Great Course! had a blast listening to the interesting and interactive lectures. The quiz at the end provided a good way to recap the knowledge gained. Good work

By RADHA K S

Jul 16, 2020

Intricate knowledge on mountains and and the adaptations of the various species. This is an extraordinary course. Thanks to the Instructors and course designers

By Stephanie S

May 08, 2020

Thank you so much, the course was great. I learnt a lot amount mountain safety, weather, and how to better appreciate the mountains that I call home and cherish.

By Lisa A

Apr 09, 2020

Very interesting, wide ranging and easy to understand content. I learned a lot, and was reminded of a lot I already knew about mountains and mountain habitat.

By Catheryn F

Mar 16, 2018

Excellent course. So thankful it was free to audit this one, or I may not have done it. Helps me appreciate why caring for the environment is so important.

By Kimmo K

Apr 29, 2020

A truly fascinating course, strongly suggested to anyone interested in gaining basic understanding of the various aspects of the topic. Thank You very much!

By Miriam P

Apr 20, 2020

loved the multidisciplinary approach and the interviews with topic experts. I also enjoyed being congratulated on completing the course by Justin Trudeau!!

By Douglas A K

Apr 09, 2020

Excellent course, very broad covering every aspect. The teachers did lack a bit of charisma while presenting but the in depth content more than compensated.

By Foong W L

May 12, 2017

I thoroughly enjoy doing the Mountain 101 course and I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants a good. broad introduction to the mountains.

By Peter D

Feb 22, 2017

I very much enjoyed this course, I learned new terms and gained more familiarity with all things mountain based on the curriculum. Great work and great f

By Kostis K

Apr 06, 2020

Really a fantastic course! I cannot express in words my enthusiasm about this course! Great initiative and I look forward to similar future courses. UP!

By Doron F

Nov 19, 2017

Very insightful. The course is well organized, the discussion is intelligent and presented plainly! I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot. Thank you!

By Elizabeth M K

Oct 29, 2017

It was an amazing course! The videos and the instructors were very helpful and the lectures were really great! The best course I've ever taken so far!

By gary o

May 13, 2020

Really enjoyed it. Much more that I originally thought. I'd thank everyone who put work into the lectures, presentations, research and test questions

By Kathy M

Aug 27, 2017

Good wide-ranging course, covers the basics well. Decent intro to mountains, life on and below them, culture, ecology and all. Well worth the effort!

By Michala

Jun 14, 2017

Another wonderfully interesting course from the University of Alberta. And a surprise cameo by Justin Trudeau too?! I need to go hiking immediately.

By Emily W

May 15, 2020

This course was great! I loved the interdisciplinary approach and feel like I learned a lot. It also made me want to travel to the Canadian rockies!

By Waqar A

Feb 08, 2020

It has been a wonderful study session as a multidisciplinary approach displayed the rounded image of Mountains and enhanced my horizon of knowledge.

By Mohamed E B

Apr 17, 2017

Loved the material, very inspiring! Easy, but enough of a challenge; overall, extremely engaging course and would definitely recommend it to others.

By Haley M

Jun 08, 2020

This is a great course that covers several aspects that make up what mountains are and how we interact with them today. This was such a fun course!

By Sarah R

Apr 05, 2017

Great introduction to many areas of study related to mountain landscapes. Well produced with beautiful photography and interesting content. Thanks!

By Gabrielle A

Aug 01, 2020

This is the best course I have ever taken. The media and academic content is superb as well as all the guest speakers. I will highly recommend.

By Terri G

Oct 30, 2019

This is an excellent beginning class in mountain ecology and why mountains are important as well as the animals and plants of the alpine regions.

By Alondra J L B

Jun 03, 2019

Excellent!!! Very informative and well organized course. Recommended to all mountain lover. Thank you for providing such great materials to us.

By Lana

Nov 16, 2018

Loving this course so far; I adore the mountains and this certificate will allow to become more knowledgeable for my next elk hunt in Colorado.