Back to Nanotechnology: A Maker’s Course

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Nanotechnology: A Maker’s Course by Duke University

How can we create nano-structures that are 10,000 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair? How can we “see” at the nano-scale? Through instruction and lab demonstrations, in this course you will obtain a rich understanding of the capabilities of nanotechnology tools, and how to use this equipment for nano-scale fabrication and characterization. The nanoscale is the next frontier of the Maker culture, where designs become reality. To become a Nanotechnology Maker pioneer, we will introduce you to the practical knowledge, skills, and tools that can turn your nanotechnology ideas into physical form and that enable you to image objects at the nano-scale. This course has been developed by faculty and staff experts in nano-fabrication, electron beam microscopy, and nano-characterization through the Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network (RTNN). The RTNN offers training and use of the tools demonstrated in this course to schools and industry through the United States National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure program. The tools demonstrated in this course are available to the public through the RTNN....

RM

Highly informative..Nan Jokerst , you are the best teacher .Amazing team work with proper theory as well as practical knowledge. I gained my interest in Nanotech. Thankyou for the wonderful sessions.

HC
Apr 4, 2021

It's a wonderful course for anybody looking to gain some good insights on Nanotechnology along with practical exposure. Nan Jokerst, you are an amazing teacher.\n\nWould highly recommend this course!

26 - 50 of 596 Reviews for Nanotechnology: A Maker’s Course

By Abhijeet B

Nov 1, 2018

The course is well structured and takes you through the chapters in a seamless manner where each consecutive lesson makes sense. Additionally, it opened my eyes to a lot of physical characterization techniques, and their importance can be gauged by the glut of online research articles that depend on such characterization. I'm grateful to the course administrator, Duke University, UNC, NC State and Coursera for the approval of my financial aid, which enabled a Graduate Student like me to gain access to the best of resources when it comes to micro and nanofabrication. For any student interested in physical characterization, nanofabrication, advanced devices and microsystems, please take this course. You will not regret it.

By Edgar C L

Mar 28, 2018

Basically, the course is well-organized. As a graduate student from the Philippines, I was able to gain understanding on the basic's of the nanotechnology tools and fabrication techniques that are helpful in the conduct of my thesis. I will be using SEM and TEM to characterize my nanotubes and chemical wet etching in the cleaning of my samples prior to fabrication of nanotubes. I would grow my nanotubes electrochemically. Hence, I also suggest that perhaps in the future, you can incorporate electrochemical techniques of nanofabrication such as electrodeposition, electrospinning, and electrochemical etching.

By Ingryd L

Jul 12, 2020

PT: Achei este curso super interessante e muito bem organizado. As explicações e demonstrações são simples e super fáceis de entender. Fiquei muito feliz em aprender mais sobre as técnicas, definições e equipamentos que são usados na carreira que estou cursando, foi bem escalarecedor.

IN: This course is very interesting and very well organized. The explanations are simple and of super easy understanding. I was happy in learn so much thing about equipment, definitions and techniques that are used in the career that I am following, it blowed my mind actually haha. Amazing!

By Meera

Jun 13, 2020

Excellent course on Nanotechnology and its characterization which was meticulously planned for any Nanomaker to prepare nano particles with ease

My Special thanks to Course Instructors ( Professors) for their detailed explanation about preparation of films, characterisation and lithographic techniques

The Graduate students and Lab technicians demonstrated every technique by characterising a sample.

It was a delightful online experience both theoretically and experimentally on how to prepare and characterize a nano material.

By Nero B

Apr 14, 2018

This was a very informative course on Nano technology. It had me wondering things like "could I create a giant platform of (LaB6) lanthanum hexaboride crystals to excite electrons on earth and build a space station of sorts as an anode to pull them into outer space. Could I transport things in the particle beam? Space is already a vacuum could I focus a massive particle beam in space through giant magnetic lenses and travel through it? Can Ununpentium be implanted into a substrate? Like ion implantation...."

By Sunil L B S

Jun 24, 2018

This is one of the basic course on the Nanotechnology and Nano-science for beginner and any student who want to learn about the basic of Nano-science and Nanotechnology ; instrumentation, techniques and methodology and the application and scope of this filled. The teaching methodology and the incorporation of animation and demonstration video on all related techniques helps me to visualize, how things works (The working principle). This is an most simple and interactive course on Nanotechnology.

By Kushagra N

Mar 1, 2018

I want to thank the organizers and the Coursera community for making this course available world wide. Nanotechnology is an amazing field with lots of new stuff to learn about. Coursera and the RTNN has helped me throughout the course to gain insight into this field to a great extent.

It would have been difficult for me to gain such knowledge in a region where I reside because of the lack of resources. I am truly thankful to all the instructors / Presenters for guiding me throughout.

Regards.

By Gan L M

Aug 11, 2020

Very thorough and concise introduction to all the relevant aspects of nanotechnology in the modern day.

Highly recommended for people interested in utilizing nanotechnology to make a change, only a little bit of science background (basic highschool physics, chemistry and mathematics) is needed to follow the course.

It is also very well structured with a lot of hands-on demonstration using the actual equipment in their laboratories. This makes learning more realistic and applicable.

By Suhail H

Jan 3, 2020

This course introduces a large variety of topics based on nanotechnology, both on analysis and fabrication. As a student, I was able to easily understand the informative yet succinct lectures. I especially appreciated that the processes or phenomena described were also clearly demonstrated. I am grateful to the makers of this course. Now I can better understand results of nano-scale analyses and have more insight about how they are conducted.

By Gardin M A S

Jan 1, 2021

This course really amazing, the topic is the latest thing for materials research and the explanation video is easy to understand. Besides, it would help me mastering my mandatory courses at my home university and the demonstration really helpful to visualize all of those experiments since my university is closed due to this pandemic. At last, thank you for all of those peoples who contributing to this course's development.

By Jayachandra S Y

Apr 20, 2020

A wonderful experience of online Coursera, detailed and in-depth training about the Nanotechnology: A makers Course, was very useful for Young Researchers and Scientists like us...I am glad and thankful to the whole team (Professors, Scientists and Researcher's ) and wish to congratulate Duke University, North Carolina State University, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for offering such amazing Course.

By Anil D

Aug 13, 2020

This is really a wonderful course and I have learnt so many things during the journey of this course. I think everyone who so ever is associated with Materials Science in one way or other must take this course and brush up their knowledge which very much required in the present scenarios.

Prof.(Dr.) Anil Dhawan, School of Basic & Applied Sciences, Anand international College of Engineering, Jaipur(INDIA).

By Pavan K R

Jul 10, 2020

I loved the course and content that was taught by various professors and students. I have learnt many new things regarding processing and designing of materials at nano-scale. Information regarding the transistors, processors and other nano materials (esp. nano-tubes) should have been taught. I thank all the professors and students who have taught us various elements along the course.

By santosh

Jun 9, 2018

This course was amazing absolutely. The content was tailored great with graphic demonstration and it helped motivate to finish the course. I was hooked to this and finished it in 3 days. Now I'll definitely check out RTNN. I would love more of these types of courses in future, Anyone interested can start the course it gives very good theoretical knowledge and a practical observation.

By Kolemann L

Oct 18, 2021

Fabulous course ! Learned so much about nanofabrication and nanocharacterisation. It was around 2-4 hrs of effort per week Would highly recommend, graduated with 100+ pages of notes. Wish they had more short essay/project-based/ applied research/methods integrated into the course with some synchronous/live feedback. Am now Inspired to puruse Master's Program in Materials Science !

By Berfin B

Dec 2, 2020

In a word, an excellent course. It includes everything from material science and nanotechnology. It helped me a lot, especially as I am studying nanotechnology engineering. They provided the chance to see all laboratory environments and devices. The topics are covered in a comprehensive and fluent manner. Many thanks to Nan Jokerst and other teachers and researchers who contributed.

By Joel R V

Sep 1, 2020

The course is really valuable to students of nanotechnology. The presentation of the content was engaging and dense. I learned a lot about the tools I want to use. The quiz's were alright, I'm not a big fan of the checkbox answer questions because some of the questions were ambiguous. Lack of a book made it a little difficult to get perspective, but I can probably find a book.

By sujith n

Apr 9, 2020

I am very happy to share my experience in learning about various techniques in nanotechnology. All the lessons which had learned are very much informative. I am sincerely thanking all the authorities of Duke University, North Carolina State University & The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who made such an online course accessible to the students across the world.

By Gabriel V

Jul 12, 2020

That's an excellent course to introduce people to these techniques. This course was very useful for me in several ways, as some of the techniques covered I had never heard of and even for those I already knew, the course clarified important points. I strongly recommend this course and hope that RTNN produces more content like this. Thank you so much for this amazing job!

By BAPPADITYA D

I am glad that Coursera has provided the platform through RTNN to learn basics of nanotechnology and basic functions of some most relevant tools. I am expecting a more detailed specific course in advanced level for lithography and patterning like E-beam lithography, optical lithography etc. Lastly, I am thankful to Coursera and RTNN members for offering such a platform.

By Erfan W K

Feb 12, 2020

Very effective videos to learn about the basics and to gain fundamental knowledge of Nanotechnology, the videos are structured in brief and summarized ways, so its better to pause the videos while you watch them and take notes of almost everything they say, because all of it are good and important informations to keep in mind before any nanotechnology related exam.

Dec 7, 2020

A wide and comprehensive course on what nanotechnology can do and how it can do it, the information is concise and easy to understand, as well as an excellent reinforcement of your knowledge if you are already familiar with these topics. I think it's a nice balance between fabrication and characterization of nanostructures, I would totally recommend it. Thank you!

By Ramy H E

Jan 24, 2019

I finished it in 6 days . It,s a great opportunity for me to see different nanofabrication procedures done in the labs such as ALD,CVD,PECVD ,SPUTTERING ,LITHOGRAPHY and ELECTRON BEAM LITHOGRAPHY . so i have knowledge if i get opportunity someday to be in nanofab lab . i hope that many courses to be added to this course FINfets , flash memory cells , 3D NAND cells

By Shoumik D

Jul 24, 2020

This is a beginner course. There is no super technical element in here. But one of the best course of Coursera. The course elements are well designed.

Anyone who is interested in this topic can surely get enrolled into this course.

I would like to thank all the instructors and Coursera.

Just a heads up, last quiz is a bit challenging, be careful and all the best.