Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

1376 - 1400 of 1,410 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Jorge L G C

Oct 31, 2015

buen curso, pero un poco

By Alex B

Sep 02, 2015

Enjoyed the professor, but there was lots of fluff and ultimately spent far too much time focusing on legalities and minor details and less on actually imparting negotiating skills.

By Peter G

Jan 25, 2017

Good basic overview. Not groundbreaking content or presentation compared to courses featuring Steve Blank or leaders from Google.

By Shailendra S

Aug 10, 2015

Nice subject.

By Jordan K

Jan 21, 2016

Good material and final. Quizzes at the end of each week would be helpful. Also, the videos could have been quite a bit shorter.

By Антон К

Dec 19, 2015

(y)

By Suvda M

Jan 07, 2016

The final negotiation homework was very interesting, and useful in internalizing the concepts. I didn't like the fact that the course spent a lot of time covering legal topics. Perhaps due to the instructor's legal background. I wish there were practical recommendations on salary negotiation.

By Carrie P

Nov 10, 2015

I struggled a lot with the presenter of this course. The presentation was quite fluffy yet the book is direct and straight to the point on the theory of negotiations.

By Rafael E V

Feb 10, 2016

Too much law for non lawyers

By Vasilis V

Jan 19, 2017

It is targeted to business negotiations.

By Alice D

Oct 25, 2016

It's better to just read the transcripts than watch the painfully boring videos. If you don't have an interest in law then you won't find this class very interesting. I thought the information was good but could have been better presented.

By Tiago A

Jul 05, 2017

Legal

By Simon G

Jun 02, 2017

A good course but rather dry. The whole course was the professor sitting at his desk talking to the camera.

The information was good but could be delivered better.

By Robrecht V

Nov 05, 2016

Nice course with many tips, but very enterprise and US oriented. To be expected, but still I would have liked some more day-to-day aspects coming up. It is possible to adapt most tips but I think that could enrich the course.

The teaching voice should be more active. Felt like a falling asleep university course. A negotiator should be a more fluid speaker (in my humble opinion, not an expert in any ways).

By seyed a r

Jun 07, 2017

this course started very excellent and exciting but I think we'd better be informed more about negotiation it self rather than learning ADR process in detail.

but totally it was beneficial for someone who wants to start to learn how to negotiate and how should think at the start point of negotiation.

By Lia S

May 29, 2017

It is quit common and not much interesting course compare to the Yale's one. There is much less practical and usefull information , while there is all theoretical base info (BATNA, ZOPA and so on). Unfortunately approach of lecture are too boring and a lot of part of it are devoted to the laws (mediation, arbitration). If you are not beginner lawyer it wont interesting you a lot. There is only 1 practice between student (at Yale's course there is two and moreover there you could get feedback of others students not involved in negotioations and there is explonation of typical behaive in particular negotiations).

Will I advice this couse? Well might be. In some theoretical thing is quit nice, but I wish more practice knowledge (how to deal with people, how to contra-react to some typical manipulation and so on. BATNA and ZOPA and so on are useful, but let be honest we deal with people and it means that sometime charisma, challengable behavior can strongly influence at you during negotiations - What we should expect and more over how we should meet it or reduce? this it out of this course.

I might be too emotional and its my imho, but too boring approach for teaching. I definitely rape myself to follow this course while another one (Yale) was much more nice.

By Kathryn K

May 18, 2017

So much to like about this course and I really enjoyed the final actual exercise of a negotiation. Chief complaints: 1) the final is nothing like the quizzes interspersed throughout the lecture, and 2) a horrendous number of typos in the transcripts of the videos, including major ones (e.g., Pearl Evidence Rule instead of Parole Evidence Rule and many more like that). For a class that has been taken by supposedly "hundreds of thousands" of students, many of which paid for a certificate, you would think the have plenty of resources to provide a clean copy of the text -- in consideration of our non-English students if nothing else. And yes, I did submit that comment to the course mentors, who suggested I volunteer my time (after paying for a certificate) to go clean up their transcript. Right.

By Simen E S

Jan 03, 2017

ok course. nothing more

By James G

Apr 02, 2018

This course started really well and went through the principles of negotiation that were very useful. But it drifted towards focusing more on dispute-resolution and very heavy on the lawyer jargon which was not what I was looking for. The presenter is great though. Very clear and interesting.

By Waleed A

Jun 18, 2019

have explained excellent negotiating skills

with real life examples

By Soham A

Jul 31, 2019

Good course, good material, good instructor, poor execution.

By Budor A

Oct 03, 2019

Great But Could use more info-graphics in the videos

By andreea R

Sep 18, 2015

I thought the instructor was very well organized, and knowledgeable. However, the information I received, at times, appeared more descriptive than informative. What I mean, is that I feel that we were told a lot about how things are, and very little about what to do. Overall, great instructor, I had expected more "strategy" and "guidance."