Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

176 - 200 of 1,376 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By DANTE P B

May 27, 2016

excelent course, all the way from Monterrey, Mexico

By Panvadee C

Oct 28, 2015

The contents are so relevant to the real world. I am glad that I have the opportunity to learn these skills and collect the techniques to use for the future. I always think that that the skillful negotiator will have to lie and being a bad person, but this course change my thought. I used to scare of negotiation, but now I am up for it. Thank you very much for the fantastic class. I don't know how you craft this course, but it kept my interest up till the end (which rarely happens).

By Digambar R V

Oct 19, 2015

The best course on negotiations.

By Gonzalo D H

Nov 10, 2015

This is a very well thought course. It addresses everything you need to know when negotiating.

It works whether you have negotiating experience or none at all.

Thanks to the professor!

By Kevin T

Dec 24, 2015

This is a great course. I learn a lot of tactics in negotiation

By Weibing Z

Jun 19, 2017

This is a great course and it is very helpful!

By daniel e

Nov 10, 2017

This course is essential for anyone like me who uses negotiation skills in my occupation. It is an intense course at times, but really prepared me for my job duties in a more professional way.

By JhoryAnne N

Nov 29, 2015

Thank you.

By Kevin M

Sep 28, 2015

Great course. Useful and easy to follow. I took it as an aid to a real estate deal I was about to close and it helped me greatly! Thanks!

By Jorge A Á H

Sep 08, 2016

It is incredible how Proffesor Siedel manage to turn a MOOC into a really dynamic and practical course. Every topic is explained with daily life examples which makes easier to understand the concepts.

Now I feel more prepared to perform negotiations and eager to continue developing my weak spots!

By Bacardi B

Jul 03, 2017

I loved this course! The material is well thorough and presented in a well organized manner. I learned practical skills that I can use immediately. The course experience also helped to broaden my perspectives on how to approach negotiations, more specifically, the effectiveness of the interest-based approach. While familiar with win/win concepts, still a position-based approach was used. I also like the decision tree tool and calculating the BATNA. This provides a value-based outlook on your options.

Finally, I enjoyed the challenge of the course and exam. In order to pass the exam, you really needed to know the material and I believe that this will add value to the programs offered on coursera.org.

By Benedito D G N

Nov 26, 2016

op op

By Ana M

Aug 16, 2015

I'm an undergraduate student from Serbia and I liked this course very much. Professor is great, he gives examples all the time and perfectly summarizes every lecture. It is noticeable how much effort is put into making this course possible. I learned a lot of new things that I can use not only in my future career, but in everyday life. Thank you!

Ana, 22 years old

By Jorge M P d C L

Jul 02, 2016

Outstanding.

By Ana I C P

Aug 20, 2017

Thank you, this is a very good course, I enjoyed. For me it is very practical for business issues.

By Lincoln I

Nov 02, 2015

I am halfway through the course and I love it. Great professor, very useful and practical. Highly recommended

By Antonio D

Aug 21, 2016

Absolutely tremendous course on negotiations. Unbelievable quality!

By Ricardo A D

Aug 22, 2017

A very well suited course which has developed concepts and contents toward most of kinds of negotiation. The professor was clear and give us a good set of examples applying theory in the real life.

By Leandro P

Feb 13, 2016

Me ha gustado mucho el curso porque realmente forma (mediante consejos, "recetas", experiencias, etc.) en los aspectos relacionados con la negociación.

By EDGARD M M

Feb 27, 2017

Very good and instructive!

By Olga B

Jan 07, 2016

I like this course! All information is important and really necessary in the work! Thank you Prof. Siedel for this work!

By Jimmy A

Dec 20, 2015

Many exempels, Easy to understand

By Ossama Z

Jan 27, 2016

Excellent course that can be use to build up experience, I do appreciate the lecturer and material presented.

By Jonelle O

Sep 25, 2015

The tutor makes this course very interesting. I am also learning great skills. I will definitely pay to get the certificate at the end of taking the course.

By Jakob Z

Oct 03, 2015

An excellent Course, with a lot of relevant and practical know-how.

Some more possibility to practice the subjects learned would be nice.