Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

176 - 200 of 1,355 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Bennady Y

Jun 12, 2017

Very Excellent Course that I recommend to everyone! An excellent Professor and a lot of very useful informations that you can practice in professional and daily life!

By Yujing L

Feb 17, 2016

Excellent teacher and great content, perfectly fit for a self-study course, it would be even better if there were more exercises to practice.

By Pablo A

Oct 23, 2015

Superb! Great structure, lectures and material

By Abril d R

May 30, 2017

Excellent course! I really enjoy it! Now I know that I have to study more about law in my country if I want to success in negotiation! :P

By Jakob Z

Oct 03, 2015

An excellent Course, with a lot of relevant and practical know-how.

Some more possibility to practice the subjects learned would be nice.

By Liliana B

Aug 26, 2015

Informative!!

By BHAURAO K

Feb 12, 2017

VERY USEFUL AND ESSENTIAL PROGRAM. THESE KNOWLEDGE WILL HELP US IN UNDERSTANDING AND IMPLEMENTING LEARNING IN NEGOTIATIONS. THANKS PROFESSOR !!!!

By Ahmed I

Aug 21, 2015

Excellent

By Andrey G

Jan 12, 2016

Many thanks Professor!

By Shen H

Sep 09, 2016

Very good lecture on Negotiation.

By Dr. M E W

Aug 15, 2015

Wow! I really learned a lot in this course! I will certainly be recommending this

By Gowtham T

Oct 08, 2015

The course helped me fine-tune my negotiation skills. Want to thank Prof. George Siedel for presenting this amazing course in a spectacular manner. The examples conveyed by him in this course provided easier understanding about the concepts & tactics.

After completing Week-3 of this course, I tested my negotiation skill and this is the result of the same -

"I live as a Paying Guest in a Hostel with a monthly rental of INR 5,500 which includes accommodation & food. Since I go to my office on second shift, i was not able to have lunch & dinner from my hostel which was increasing my expenses.

I went to my Hostel Owner and started negotiating regarding the same to reduce my rent. I was able to make him fall into 7 of the 10 traps. I was able to reduce the rent to INR 4,400 and he even permitted me to have lunch & dinner if I want to at the same cost. I promised him to find 3 members to fill the empty rooms available in the hostel.

This was a great saving to me and the deal was even too.

I was able to find 3 occupants for the vacant room within a week. Now both of us are very happy with the deal.

Very recently, I was even able to sell a used mattresses to him at a fair rate by which I found the amount of goodwill he had in me."

Though this might be a very small thing, I was very happy that in my current negotiations I was able to achieve a Win-Win situation that favors both the parties.

I finally thank the Coursera Team for providing me the financial aid for pursuing this course and I request the Coursera Team to forward this review to Prof. George Siedel as my thanking token:)

By Kumar M

Dec 23, 2017

Great learning, must do to be a Great Negotiator!

By Betty T

Oct 01, 2016

Great course. A range of topics are presented in a succinct way. Professor's relaxed and conversational style was easy to understand his examples made the concepts relatable.

By Mahmoud A I

Mar 05, 2016

This Course really add to my life, As I studied it for my personal use, I already have alto of confidence and benefits in my negotiations situations.

Thank you Dr.Sandal

Mahmoud Atta

By Gabriel A

Apr 24, 2017

I would like to thank Coursera and the University of Michigan for this amazing resource. The course is a great opportunity to acquire essential knowledge to better prepare and perform in negotiation situations, and to be more efficient on daily situations.

By YU Y

Oct 18, 2017

Learn a lot very practical skills from the course. Excellent and recommended

By Swati G

Aug 24, 2015

Wonderful, very helpful, well structured course. I liked the idea of teaching with examples. It helped me understand concepts better. Thankyou Professor.

By Eduardo C M

Sep 17, 2015

Excellent course! Very easy to be involved!

By Andrei

Apr 01, 2017

Very practical

By Guy S

Oct 08, 2016

This course teaches a skill that is crucial to working relationships, and is presented in an interesting and engaging manner. Everyone should have knowledge of this skill, and this course is an excellent way to get it!

By Jordi A

Oct 18, 2015

Excellent presentation and planification, and very useful book from the teacher

By Tejas K

Sep 06, 2017

Loved this experience. I would recommend everyone to join the course or at least buy the book prof. George Siedel wrote on successful negotiation. He is an excellent teacher and you would learn a lot through this course.

By David W

Sep 29, 2015

Great course, lots of practical examples and the instructor broke all the concepts down very easily.

By Scott B

Sep 09, 2016

An excellent course and professor. This course really opened my eyes to the subtleties of negotiations and how to influence all of my daily negotiations