Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

176 - 200 of 2,181 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Pedro S

Many useful insights provided in this Negotiation course with Professor George Siedel, who keeps a very clear communication throughout the whole course. For someone with little to no knowledge in strategies for negotiating, this comes across as very valuable.

By Arthur D

Feb 05, 2017

Very important practical course for people from all walks of life. After all we all negotiate on a regular basis. I greatly enjoyed this course. Dr. Siedel's delivery of the material is very clear and engaging. Thank you Dr. Siedel for preparing this course.

By Sviatlana L

Nov 16, 2015

Thank you very much for this course. It offered insightful details into how negotiations should be structured as well as the many different types of negotiations. I learned a lot of very useful information that better equips me for negotiations in the future.

By Lamarti A

May 10, 2016

I have so far, loved the examples given in this course ! The teacher gets you to be very interactive by asking you to answer some questions in the videos. The subject is interesting, and the way the courses are is a good way to make you quick learn about it.

By mohammadamin_nejat

Apr 30, 2018

I think this course is getting a brilliant perspective to the learner and the professor George Siedel mentions allot of helpful and real life examples in this course. So I strongly suggest you to take part in this course if you want to be a business person.

By Pranava N B

Feb 27, 2018

Being a Sales manager for more than a decade, I came across multiple strategies and methods that I was unaware of in negotiations. I am sure this is going to help me in the future for my career in handling my corporate clients & key accounts. Thanks again!

By Gabriel A

Apr 24, 2017

I would like to thank Coursera and the University of Michigan for this amazing resource. The course is a great opportunity to acquire essential knowledge to better prepare and perform in negotiation situations, and to be more efficient on daily situations.

By deepak k s

May 16, 2020

Most valuable and informative course which enhance our skill and knowledge in sucessful negotiation and strategies and skill which will upgrade our level in working sectors in designing principles and implementing the ideas gained through this course

By ALBA E

Jan 30, 2017

I enjoy this course, I recommended to anyone who wishes to improve or learn the art of selling! I would change the peer grading because you have to wait until someone grade your work. It would be better if the work is graded by the mentor in my opinion.

By PAUL L

May 08, 2020

Great course to get insight and knowledge in Negotiation skills and strategy, Very much appreciated the case and examples quoted in the course. They are Very practical. More important is enriched my mindset in always thinking bigger pie in real world.

By Ionut C L

Apr 19, 2020

The course was interesting and instructive. I had to learn and I hope to apply. I don't think this course should be improved, because the information is applicable, it is a useful course and the trainer's training is excellent. I recommend this course.

By Roberta R

Sep 21, 2017

Very interesting course and useful! Thanks to this course I've realized all the mistakes I was making when entering a negotiation.

The professor is amazing! I found the explanation by example very useful.

Easy to understand even for non-native speakers.

By Vundavilli G

Sep 17, 2015

The lectures are fairly good. However the course could have been made more valuable by either providing the slides used in each module or excerpts from the recommended book could have been provided instead of just an Amazon link to purchase the book.

By Matthew H

Jan 21, 2017

Great information on how to improve negotiation skills, as well as some valuable strategies. Presented in a professional and light-hearted manner. The recommended book isn't necessary, as the material is gone over in the lectures, but is still handy.

By Priit v

Dec 01, 2015

I have not yet finished the course, as I am about to embark on the last homework exercise. However, up until now, the course has been extremely clear and well structured. The lesson material has been amazingly well structured.

I recommend this to all.

By Ehsaneddin A

Apr 12, 2020

Not only the lecturer is a legend in the field, but also you'll enjoy his sense of humor, vast experience in real case, and extensive examples he provides.

Very appropriate for managers, engineers involved in contractual positions, and entrepreneurs.

By Ojas B

Nov 18, 2017

It's a pretty nice course wherein one gets to learn a lot. I was only disappointed at one point during week 6 when I was expected to participate in a real negotiation but wasn't able to find a partner on the forum. But in general it's a good course.

By Dwayne S

Apr 17, 2017

Excellent video lectures and well prepared textbook together provide a rich context to understand the best practices of Negotiation, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Deal Making strategies that apply in many aspects of business and personal life.

By Androniki P

Aug 18, 2016

Great topic, great tools to and advises.

I love the examples and the videos.

The instructor clearly stated the topic, the outline, the goals, the results.

The book was a great investment. Helped me to easily find the information I was looking for.

By Глеб Т

Jan 24, 2016

The course gave to me very useful and important knowledges about a negotiation process. Mr. Siedel is a perfect teacher! There was a lot of different examples, real stories from his experience etc. Thank you so much. With best wishes from Ukraine!

By Sun X

Oct 06, 2015

This course is very useful not only in commercial negotiation but also in daily affairs, such as dealing with office disputes through mediation or arbitration. I think those methods and concepts are quite pragmatic and really enlightened me a lot.

By Tejaswi R N

I found this course to be absolutely fantastic and very relevant to real-world applications. The learnings in this course are applicable to interactions in almost any industry and between employees in any position. I highly recommend this course!

By Kumud P S

Nov 30, 2016

Dear Team,

The course provided by University of Michigan was the equally important as my core subjects. It was a great experience be the one of the student of this course. Good work by the mentor. Thank you for providing me such great opportunity.

By Neel J S

Nov 28, 2016

Effective, simple and very useful practically. Mr. Seidel is very pleasant listening to and felt listening to him more and more. The realistic examples given by him are interesting and very effective in remembering these concepts for a long time.

By SIDDHARTH P

This course helped me to learn about Negotiation analysis,BATNA and how to use psychological tools and avoid traps during any negotiation as well as ADR concepts and ADR tools which is helpful for any type of organisation or in day to day life.