Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

126 - 150 of 1,057 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Rizki C R

Jun 03, 2020

It was a very useful course to everyone especially for profesional, was short but very comprehensive. The course has a lot of new information that I haven't knew before. So many things that I didn't know about the principled of negotiation but I have done lots of negotiation for years. This course definitely can help me with my work and also in life. Thank you!

By Denitsa S

Engaging, interactive and thural course that will give you not only the basic principles of negotiation, but a case-studies experiance where you can put thepry into practise. I woul recommend this course to all my friends as I am sure the structure, execusion and implied ideas are on a high level and will further develop you as e professional and as a person.

By Neerav G S

Nov 09, 2019

Excellent course! Very well made videos able to retain attention, Special Thanks to Professor Nalebuff for teaching me so much about the nit and grit of negotiations in a very interesting manner. The practical negotiation experiences help tremendously, I appreciate the efforts of the entire team to help prepare this course. Thank you.

Neerav Shah, India

By Bhupinder S

Sep 19, 2016

This course is a great resource of negotiation skills for me (some one new to Strategic / Managerial Skills). I cleared this course with good score and purchased the certificate for this course as well and this to my professional skills.

I would recommend this course to someone who is looking to grow negotiation / strategic and or managerial skills.

By Kay N

Sep 10, 2019

Unlike many other negotiation courses which only focus on the importance of eloquence and gesture to affect people's decision making process, this course introduces a better approach to negotiation through very specific and persuasive principles. An excellent course which has helped change my perspective on negotiation. Thank you very much Barry.

By Joseph N S

Jan 06, 2018

This course is really well thought out, and the professor takes a logical--and fun--approach from explaining the concept of the pie, all the way to more advanced topics. Additionally, the real-world experiences and engaging videos helped me absorb the information more quickly and relate it back to my own past and, hopefully future, negotiations!

By Joey B

Nov 05, 2015

The good: introduction of some deep concepts that I haven't seen yet, in a clear format.

What could be better: I would have preferred the course to focus more on the technical aspects, and there were quite large sections that I thought didn't add much to the information content.

Thankfully there was enough good for it to get a high rating overall.

By Mark C

May 09, 2020

Excellent course - Barry does an incredible job of breaking down the complex art of negotiation into practical chunks that can easily be applied to real word situations.

Examples, illustrations and guest speakers are all exceptional.

Easily a 5/5 and highly recommended to anyone who deals with other people on a regular basis (namely - everyone).

By Damla Ö

Apr 26, 2020

This is definitely a perfect course. It changed my point of view enormously. Highly recommend to everyone! This is very effective, there are many case studies, many videos and readings that help you certainly to be a better negotiator in your professional life as well as in your daily life!

Thank you very much for offering such a great course!

By Prateek D

Jun 08, 2016

This course is highly recommended for anyone in the world of business, whether you are running a business, want to run one or are a corporate employee. The course is very well presented with animations and graphics and business games are included which help you learn a lot. Quite simply put this is one of the best courses I have ever taken!

By Monika S G

May 07, 2020

This course had amazing pedagogical methods of teaching all important concepts. Various activities that were to be accomplished as a part of this course were very unique too and above all the aim of this course to introduce strategic methods of negotiating was met successfully, I learnt new principles of negotiating with people. Thanks !

By Yi W G

This is a very interesting course and it has opened my eyes to the different methods and approaches for negotiation. I chose to try out the course first before deciding whether I should pay for it. Half way through I really enjoyed the contents of the course and ended up paying for the certificate to add in my LinkedIn as well as my CV.

By Olesia A

This course is one of the best on Coursera. It covers just as much to start developing oneself as a professional negotiator. All course materials - quizzes, group assignments, and lectures have been well prepared and organized. Thank you, Professor, for clear and engaging instructions. Taking this course online was a smooth experience.

By Tolga Y

Jan 27, 2020

Barry Nalebuff's "Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator" in my opinion is a masterpiece that made me think about things to this date I've never considered during negotiations. If I would have the time I'd certainly be tempted to take this course at Yale University as well.

By Mark S

Feb 07, 2017

Professor Nalebuff is an absolutely phenomenal professor/educator. The course was extremely interesting and useful. I hope to use what Dr. Nalebuff taught in my negotiations regarding my daughter's upcoming wedding. Fortunately, the process is in its infancy. I have already recommended this course to my future son-in-law.

Thank you.

By Sumit T

Jul 04, 2017

One of the best courses I have ever taken online. The professor was exceptionally charismatic and put a lot of effort into his video production. The course material and delivery were excellent. A great primer for anyone who looks to better understand effective negotiation strategies for either their personal or professional lives.

By Ameya D

Jul 07, 2017

An absolutely amazing course, full of relevant topics and teachings to become a principled and persuasive negotiator. I will continue to refer to my notes and keep coming back to some of the course material to refresh concepts. Definitely recommend this course for anybody looking to improve their understanding of negotiation skills!

By Swapna M

Feb 23, 2020

It has been a wonderful experience with the Negotiation class by Prof. Barry. The exercises were designed to enhance our way of thinking that we forget tend to not model mathematically and not to forget, A ton of thanks for hosting Linda's sessions to introduce to statistics of negotiation by women and take on a special emphasis.

By Nathan S

Dec 10, 2016

Very engaging and knowledgeable tutor. The use of case studies with actors brought the online experience alive and reinforced the taught insights with a sense of discovery. A highly recommended course useful for anyone at any level. A good foundation for further study in negotiation, game theory or conflict resolution. Thank you.

By Fendy K

May 08, 2017

It was a pleasure attending and completing this class. I'd highly recommend this course to other professionals who spend most of their time doing a negotiation, just like I do. I definitely gained a lot of new knowledge from Prof. Barry, not only from his teaching but also the way the online course was prepared by his team.

By Sally

Sep 30, 2018

Eye open course, I think the main thing I learned from this course is a new perspective to see many things. Meanwhile, the interactive sessions are also very helpful which we get chance to practice meanwhile learned from our peers. Very appreciate the efforts from the professor and his team for giving such a great course!

By Emil F

Aug 07, 2016

Very well made course. The lecture are fun and not boring at all!

It's a very good introduction, and the main takeaway is that you'll learn why and how to negotiate fair.

For a beginner in negotiation, this course lays a very good foundation, and opens the eyes, broadens the view on what negociation really is meant to be.

By Ángeles L

Jan 03, 2016

Although I find difficult to understand and assimilate some mathematics concepts. I find the course useful. Barry makes it easy to understand and interesting. At the beginning as I couldn`t understand somethings I was thinking of leaving the course. But luckily I finish it and at the end I can say it was a great course.

By Vinay

Oct 12, 2015

Great Teacher. Great examples. Only issue i did not like what that you had to find a partner to negotiate with and I found it a bit difficult to find people in my time zone who spoke good English. Other than that it was a great course and I recommend it for any one who want to go into business, law or retail management

By susan s

Oct 07, 2020

I didn't expect this course to be as instructional and I've loved it. I've learned a number of skills including confidence in negotiations or maybe I've learned to give myself permission to negotiate if that's possible to learn. I look forward to reading further on this subject into principled negotiation techniques.