Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 11, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

NK

Great course .. being an Indian Negotiation is very natural to me. It starts with street vendors in India. I would like you to upload more case studies industry based .. I loved the way you teach ...

251 - 275 of 1,353 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Emily L

Jan 9, 2020

While this course is intellectually challenging, it is very fun for me. I could not stop even with a busy life. The skills I learned not only benefit business wise, but also personal life. I strongly recommend this class for career advancement and personal enrichment.

By Ms C

Oct 6, 2021

Professor Barry Nalebuff is really professional and his examples of negotiation is so creative and so alived! We could experience the process when we see those actors and actresses to perform for us in the videos, very interesting! All the lessons are brand new to me.

By Nemieboka B D

Aug 27, 2020

I am very glad I completed this course, I learnt a lot about game theory and being a strategic negotiator. This course provides great content in theory and also in practical, there are practical exercises along with the theories to master being a successful negotiator.

By HEngin B

The course is challenging one. You need to understand theory of game, statistics etc. The instructor gives his best to explain the theory with the practise. In general its a very good and refreshing one. It gives a new perspective to negotiation with real math terms.

By Guerville J

May 3, 2020

Simply amazing. You are learning a life skill with an amazing material both engaging and entertaining.

I loved working in group and I am excited now to try me new skills in real life. Thanks to Barry Nelebuff for this concentrate of wisdom, psychology and game theory.

By ZUI T

Apr 11, 2020

This course is amazing which broads my horizon for negotiation. I have never thought that negotiation could be done in a principled way which involves maths. I benefit a lot from this course. During the COVID-19 pandemic, I found this course and I will keep learning,

By JING N

Jan 6, 2021

Very interesting and useful course. Not only for academy, but also for the daily life. Negotiation, conflict resolution, decision making, etc. All these things are explained by using concret examples. These hints help a lot both personal life and professional life.

By Deep p

Aug 29, 2020

great learning course, helped us to get knowledge about the negotiation tactics and also how it is done in the real world, looking forward for such more courses on negotiation and sales and marketing from yale with the real word scenarios. thankyou for the course.

By Adan C

May 7, 2020

I’ve been negotiating in Real Estate for many years, and through this course was enlightened to new and useful approaches I would have never discovered on my own. I even learned how to better explain the strategies I already practiced to my clients. Great course.

By Yasan P

Jun 3, 2020

Amazing course! My first online course and certainly not the last! I came over to this course with zero understanding and background in negotiation and can now say I am confident in negotiating over everyday small matters all the way to larger business deals.

By Craig H

Jul 4, 2018

I'm not finished the course as yet, but so far this course has been the best I've seen in terms of organization, delivery and also a challenge. The author of the course has clearly put effort into producing this online version of his Yale course and it shows.

By Ryan P

Jan 26, 2021

This was my first online course and I was completely blown away by the quality of content, ease of navigation and overall educational value. This class has set the bar very high for future courses. Thank you very much Coursera, Yale and Dr. Barry Nalebuff!

By Walter V

This course is fantastic. The material comprises some game theory concepts, many examples, contributions from known international negotiators, curiosities... all available for free (if you don t need a certificate). Hi quality. Nalebuff made a great job.

By Layle M

Dec 3, 2020

At first I was shocked. I was overwhelmed by the work involved. But I worked hard and found the material to be very useful now and in the future. The teacher made it easy. I even learned from the tests. I wish they taught this to kids in grade school.

Layle

By Dario R

Oct 6, 2020

An amazing course for everyone who wants to become a better negotiator, not only in business but also in everyday life. Professor Nalebuff is an excellent teacher and his sense of humor makes the whole course even better. I strongly recommend the course.

By MARTIN O D R

Sep 3, 2018

Excellent course, really the quality was over my expectations, the material, technics, explanations. Really this was a very good course. Initially, I thought that this will be a 4 weeks course, but I was very sourprise when this is 5 weeks + 4 more tips.

By Фёдор Ш

Feb 2, 2021

Cool course full of useful information. Don't be afraid of some math, it's still doable with some effort. I am a linguist, not a mathematician or anywhere near but still managed to finish it. Don't give up guys, there are a lot of gems here to be found.

By Inge V

Apr 24, 2020

Really fun and well thought out course. Workload was nice, enough to get the feeling that you need to do something in order to learn, but not too much that you are overwhelmed. Good quality content and easy to follow. I definitely recommend this course!

By Jamie C

Sep 2, 2021

Great teacher, in theory great principles for negotiations. In reality I have encountered people who do not understand even these basic principles, so it is kinda hard to argue with stupid. But useful in a workplace with more sophisticated individuals.

By Hannah V

Dec 3, 2018

Excellent course when you want to gain both theoretical insights and practical tips related to negotiating. The course is made very fun by the many videos and the practice negotiations with other people you meet through this course are very insightful.

By Robert S

Sep 30, 2020

I was surprised about the quality of this online course. Probably the best one I have taken so far. The subject relates to many situations in our lives and for this reason I believe we can somehow use these concepts. Thanks for sharing this knowldege.

By Milind K

Sep 6, 2021

​Excellent program with great practical examples . I’ve been negotiating for 30 years and learnt a number of new principles - especially being Paid to play when you have no added value but change value for other players in the game . Thank you Barry!

By Serhaz

Jan 17, 2022

Highly instructive course which brings your understanding of "negotiation" to another level.Course provides enough tools to structure your negotiation skills with a more principled approached.

Insights from different negotiators are very valuable.

By Subhrojeet M

If you are a beginner, like me, and want to know about negotiation then go ahead. The exciting part of this course lies in the assignments. I would advise you to take some time and indulge in solving the cases. It gives you a hands-on experience.

By Carlos T

Oct 5, 2015

Muy bueno. Los videos y las animaciones hacen que los conceptos se hagan muy amenos.

Los ejercicios prácticos ayudan a fijar todas las ideas trasmitidas y el feedback de los compañeros ayuda a mejorar las aptitudes de negociación. Muy recomendable