Back to Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator by Yale University

This course will help you be a better negotiator. Unlike many negotiation courses, we develop a framework for analyzing and shaping negotiations. This framework will allow you to make principled arguments that persuade others. It will allow you to see beneath the surface of apparent conflicts to uncover the underlying interests. You will leave the course better able to predict, interpret, and shape the behavior of those you face in competitive situations. In this course, you will have several opportunities to negotiate with other students using case studies based on common situations in business and in life. You can get feedback on your performance and compare what you did to how others approached the same scenario. The cases also provide a setting to discuss a wide-ranging set of topics including preparing for a negotiation, making ultimatums, avoiding regret, expanding the pie, and dealing with someone who has a very different perspective on the world. Advanced topics include negotiating when you have no power, negotiating over email, and the role of gender differences in negotiation. To close out the course, we will hear insights from three negotiation experts: Linda Babcock, Herb Cohen, and John McCall MacBain. Enjoy....

MN

Jun 12, 2017

I have completed over 12 courses on Coursera and this one is the best presented of them all. You can learn a lot of un-intuitive things about negotiation that will serve you well in life and business.

RC

Sep 08, 2015

A superb introduction to negotiation from game theory point of view, which itself is a fascinating subject and taught by Barry nelbuff, a brilliantly simple teacher. read his books and you'll know.

426 - 450 of 489 Reviews for Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator

By Pablo V

Sep 18, 2015

O

By Luiza C

Oct 19, 2015

I have a master of science degree in consultation thus negotiation was a big part of the course therefore I have some background on the negotiation topic. I took this MOOC to polish up my skills and to see the value of negotiation training from a top university like Yale.

The course was well designed and while I believe there is no one way of teaching negotiation, this course was more of quantitative way of doing negotiations thus the mathematics is a bit hard to follow. My degree course had no mathematics in it and thus this was an adjustment for me.

I did like though that e had an opportunity to do live negotiations or the option of writing an essay and that the assignments had no deadlines thus making it a very flexible course.

By Brigitte

Jun 04, 2019

Amazing course on negotiation tactics and how to calculate them. 3 real life negotiations, which allow you to evaluate your own level and progress and give you the desire to negotiate every day once the course is over. Guest speakers, illustrations, and real life scenarios make this course even more enriching. Professor Nalebuff is a great educator. I wish he would develop a follow up to this course with more complex and international negotiations.

By Swann C

Oct 04, 2017

A great course with new perspectives and real cases to bring you through negotiation experiences. I really feel I learned a lot of refreshing new ways of seeing what negotiations are and to be better prepared for them. The format is both serious and enjoyable. A must do course for anyone interesting in learning or improving his negotiation skills for business or simple day to day life!

By Unknwon H

Nov 01, 2015

I loved the course it helped me to summarise and bring together all that knowledge I have got through my personal experience and listening to the course I often found myself thinking that I had it somewhere and somewhat experienced in past I am sorry I did not listen nor new of the course then I was younger, how many things could I have done differently

By Mohamad S A

Sep 18, 2015

Extraordinary Course with an excited lecturing team behind it! Have done some courses here, but none of them had so much content and sophisticated teaching methods and cool guests. The only star that's missing is that the system for finding negotiation partners could be optimized. Overall, was worth the time!!!

By Ramadurai V

Feb 24, 2017

I enjoyed doing this course and hats off to Prof Barry. His lectures were very interesting and I have learned a lot from this course. The exercises were stimulating and don't look further if you want to become a good negotiator be it for salary or buying a property or just to negotiate with your children!

By SAUPAYAN M

Jan 09, 2020

This was a really good course.

Materials presented very elegantly. It's amazing how Barry manages to make a math-heavy course almost devoid of any tough calculations and still retain the essence of it.

Hoping for more courses from Barry.

By Sherri H

Jan 21, 2019

It was a good class but so much information to take in. It was helpful for me for sure and I am positive I will be able to implement the strategies and knowledge to negotiate in the future.