Back to Oil & Gas Industry Operations and Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Oil & Gas Industry Operations and Markets by Duke University

The oil and gas industry has an enormous impact on all aspects of daily life. Individuals, corporations, and national governments make financial and policy decisions based on the cost, use, and availability of these two natural resources. This two-week course looks at the two most fundamental aspects of the oil and gas industry, its operations and markets, each of which is addressed as a separate module in the course. In the operations module, the course provides an overview of the production of oil and gas, from initial exploration to final transport. The second module focuses on the forces that drive the industry's operations, the oil and gas markets, including the cost of wells, seasonal impacts on prices, and the role of oil reserves. After every lesson, learners will take short quizzes to test their newly acquired knowledge, participant in crowd-sourced discussions about global markets, and complete a final project....

EK

May 05, 2020

It was simply excellent! Very clear and comprehensive. Really gave a good overview of the oil and gas sector. The professor's voice was also very clear. He was well spoken. I learned a lot. Thank you!

BK

From this course I have learn much more information regarding the drilling sites, production , reservoir contents and more specially Economic price rise and fall in this industry. I thank to Coursera

26 - 50 of 1,003 Reviews for Oil & Gas Industry Operations and Markets

By Titov D

Oct 07, 2019

Interesting course about oil and gas industry

By Brian B

Apr 29, 2019

Great course, fare better then expectations!

By Jeremy B

May 19, 2019

Good overview, very informative content

By Felipe A C Q

Jun 27, 2019

Great course, I learned a lot

By Edinson L

May 07, 2019

great Oil an gas learning!

By Azan S A A

Apr 27, 2019

very helpful

By Dong W

Jul 04, 2019

It is a very good opportunity for me to refresh my understanding over the whole petroleum industry value chain, from upstream exploration and production to downstream refining and marketing. The overall structure of the course is very good, my only suggestion is that it will be even greater if Dr. Pratson could instruct the lecture with daily speaking English instead of reading the formal written English from the prompter.

By ROHAN D

May 22, 2019

Good Course to get an insight on how things work in the Oil and Gas Sector.

By Shaik M K

May 20, 2019

Good course for basic understanding of the oil and gas market.

By Dean.Tashobya

Jun 24, 2019

Great course, I recommend it.

By Matthew A S H

Jun 02, 2020

The material itself is quite comprehensive, short, and acts as a good introductory course for beginners. The reason I gave the course 3 stars is due to its grading scheme for the final report. I applaud the course administrator's in attempting to create more collaboration amongst students and providing learning opportunities through the peer review system. However, the peer review system does not seem very effective at the end of the day in judging an individual's learning outcomes and grading individuals in a constructive manner. Some course participants merely submitted empty files, or even entirely plagiarized materials - and most of the time, the system is extremely easy for participants to game by simply giving one another good scores. The assignment submitted by participants is not that lengthy to begin with. I believe it would be better if there are designated administrators or mentors that can oversee the grading of the final assignments and leave some constructive feedback for participants.

By Zuneid Y M d S P

Jun 09, 2020

First of all, I would like to thank Duke University for providing the course and the coursera platform. Thank you.

Since I liked the Oil & Gas industry, I did mine engineering, because here in Mozambique there are no universities that can teach petroleum engineering.

I really appreciate the classes, as I was able to learn a lot about the Oil & Gas sector. I already have many answers for the exploration and production of Oil & Gas, I learned a lot about processing and refining, as well as transportation. But what caught my attention the most was the Oil & Gas market, it is amazing how oil is related to a country's economy, how a large producer of Oil & Gas can change the price of the final product.

I already had notions about how advances in technologies could change the world, but seeing how the Oil & Gas sector has changed was impressive.

I already knew that oil and natural gas are non-renewable resources, however, getting to know that with the reduction of the cost of extraction and the increase in the sale price, new reserves can be explored, was something very interesting.

Thank you so much for learning.

Sorry for my English

By Godwin O

Oct 21, 2019

For those already in the industry, it gives immense detail of what the Oil & Gas industry is all about and makes decision making more objective as a non-Geoscientist/Engineer. I learned more about Oil prospecting and the geology of various oil reservoir and how it affects the economic reserves of a business. Also learnt how oil and gas mining can be effectively done to enable profitable exploitation before a well is considered uneconomical or plugged. Different pricing structures and how prices vary in the world was also another important knowledge gained in this Course. For those who are new to the Oil & Gas industry, this is a must-attend course, it prepares you for the challenges ahead. For those already in the industry, it allows comprehension of the industry easier and makes decision making more objective as a non-Geoscientist/Engineer

By Mahima J

Jul 29, 2020

Oil and gas industry operation ..This is very interesting course..because i'm a petroleum engineering enthusiast...This course helped a lot to explore about the oil and gas industry operations like-Exploration,production, processing and refining and lastly transport...

It gave me knowledge about how the crude oil extracted from the oceans and the further process...I will say its a great opportunity to learn with such good tutors of Reputed institutions like one DUKE UNIVERSITY...I will say don't miss the opportunity to learn this course..Best wishes! Ahead..

By Dilruba Y S

Aug 03, 2020

this course was very helpful for me to understand the basic knowledge about the generation , migration of petroleum ,the petroleum system , present situation about oil and gas in the world of different region , prices of oil and gas , oil and gas reserves , drilling technique , processing of oil and gas , Gasoline and diesel importance .as a student of geological sciences , all the information i have learnt in this course was helpful for me to further learning about petroleum industries which will aid more skill for working in the future.

By Anil K

Jun 11, 2020

I found the course excellent. Its content and flow of information is very knowledgeable. This course provides valuable insights into highly complex oil gas sector integrated operations and marketing, learning on entire value chain from exploration, evaluation, production through refining, transport and markets in the exact way as the business operates.

My special thanks to Lincoln F. Pratson from Duke University for his dedicated teaching and making us learn fine points of the hydrocarbon sector operations & markets.

By Andrés D A C

Jun 28, 2020

Although is a short course, is an excellent beginning to the oil and gas industry process, with less than 5 minutes per video, the professor explains all the concepts in an easy way, and the quizzes help to reinforce the learned concepts. With this course you can learn how the hydrocarbons are extracted from the reservoir, which characteristics defines the price of oil, natural gas and gasoline, which products are derived from petrol and the effect of crisis in one of the most profitable industry of the world.

By Aleksandr S

Jun 09, 2020

Many thanks to Duke University and Professor Pratson for such an interesting course! It was intensive and productive for me and fullfiled all my expectations. So this course gives a student broad pattern of international oil and gas markets, supported by statistical meters. What is more it gives a broad description of oil and gas production and refinery without deeping in much chemistry and physics. The final project is also very interesting and would be a nice attachment to a person's portfolio.

By César G P T

Aug 23, 2019

In my opinion the course was well developed because it is an overview about what is and means the oil and gas industry from the main characteristics of the petroleum, its extraction until the comecialization but at the same time the course had enough time to talk about the legal and economical structure of an oil and gas company.

In a few word, this is a pretty well introductory course in this area. Now, it is importan create another course more specific.

Thanks to educate and my best regards.

By Ronak S

Aug 02, 2019

Excellent coverage of the entire value chain in the oil and gas industry. The course covers both the technological and the commercial aspects related to oil and gas. Additionally, the course also provide an overview of the future prospects of the oil and gas industry. The peer review assignment is one of its kind as it involves a extensive research about the company and while reviewing your peers work you get information about a lot of oil and gas companies spread across different geographies.

By Abdul R

Most valuable knowledge about Oil and Gas Industry throughout the series from bottom to top of the industry,As a worker in Oil and Gas firm which is really enjoyable to me all the sections and I have taken this opportunity as as valuable asset which attained in this Covid-19 era,.

I here express my sincere gratitude to the Coursera, Farook College, Duke University , Mr.lincoln Pratson (The lecturer) and my dear friend Mr.Mohammed Mubarak who have invited me to join for this course.

By Rawan A

Apr 08, 2020

As a fresh chemical and biochemical engineer looking for jobs or pursuing my graduate degree, I found this course insightful as it provided an overview of the entire gas operations in addition to markets. I concluded that crude oil processing or unconventional resources are possible fields of interest. The videos were concise, well explained and supported with graphs and visits to sights or showcasing of shale rocks. I enjoyed this course and finished it in less than a week!

By Nishant N

Apr 25, 2020

Overall, The course is very informative and its the best time, when we can explore the insights we gained from the course. On looking towards the current scenario of the oil and gas market, as we all know the market has hit its lowest. This course helped me better understand the situation of the oil prices downfall.

I recommend the people interested to learn about the oil and gas industry to take the course and broaden their perspective towards the oil and gas industry.

By Emad N M

May 04, 2020

The oil and gas industry operations and markets were very effective course which covers most of the point used In the industry and also give the bright explanation about the process of the operation and you can easily understand the upstream and downstream, the marketing of the oil and gas, at the end this course add to me the knowledge and highly recommended it is powerful topic if you want to complete the image of the oil and gas industry. Sincerely, Emad N Masri

By John G

Feb 06, 2019

Great course with excellent experience. I already have a graduate diploma in Oil & Gas Management and this course has added some knowledge in the oil & Gas market to my industry and management knowledge.

I will recommend this course for anybody without the industry knowledge and to anybody who wants refresh his/her thoughts in the industry operation and how the oil and gas market are controlled by different factors, location and government policies and taxes.

Thank you.