Back to Old Norse Mythology in the Sources

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Old Norse Mythology in the Sources by University of Colorado Boulder

This course is an introduction to the religion of the Vikings as it is recorded in Old Norse and Scandinavian literature from the medieval period. You will learn about the different written sources and what they can teach us about pre-Christian religion in northern Europe in the Viking Age. The course surveys the primary collection of Old Norse poetry about the pre-Christian Scandinavian gods, the Poetic Edda. We will also work with the main collections of stories about the Old Norse gods in prose: Snorri Sturluson's Edda and Saxo's History of the Danes....

JH
Nov 23, 2021

Great introduction to this material and subject. Did not want to stop watching the videos. very easy to watch. Lots of information given. hope there will be a continuation of this course.

VR
Nov 21, 2021

This was a most fascinating and interesting course that I completed on Coursera so far! Looking forward to complete it with honours as well! Skål and may Odin be with you! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Reviews for Old Norse Mythology in the Sources

By Paul G

Dec 2, 2021

Useful intro with good course content, spoilt by errors in test questions and lack of responce from coursera to reported issues.

By Viking G R

Dec 4, 2021

Good Introduction to Norse Mythology, definitely learned some interesting details especially regarding historical evidence of runic inscriptions, age of written records and how written compositions were influenced by the author and the dominant religious dogma of the time.

By Steven S

Nov 30, 2021

D​r. Nordvig presents interesting information. It is not just the dates and places, it is the who and the why. I took everything I thought I knew, and flipped it on its head. I am glad I took the class and look forward to further classes presented by Dr. Nordvig.

By Justin H

Nov 24, 2021

By Victor R

Nov 22, 2021

By Rheged-armer T

Jan 23, 2022

Areally good overview for anyone wanting to have an objective academic approach to Old Norse Mythology

By JUAN C O C

Jan 1, 2022

It's been fantastic to take this course, I can't wait for the next one of this compilation of courses

By Julie T

Dec 2, 2021

A​ great way to get an overall view of Nordic Mythology. Good content!! Easy to understand.

By Sarah F

Jan 12, 2022

Learned the real history of the Norse myths and the people behind them.

By Suzanne C

Dec 10, 2021

A​n interesting course! I hope that the specialization mentioned in the introduction video gets made; I'd take it! The videos were perfect bite-size bits of information, and the as-you-go quizzes were helpful. There were some with answers that contradicted themselves though; that would be my only complaint! Nevertheless, a fun an interesting course!

By John C

Jan 26, 2022

Informative and well delivered.

By Keryn K

Jan 24, 2022

1. Discussion I didnt seem to get into any discussions in this course - perhaps you could give people 5 marks for posting comments or references? eg I would like to have joined a discussion about norse myths in contemporary culture. And Im sure others could have helped me understand things like kennings

2. More readings I got a lot more from the course when I started to read around the topics of Norse Myth - learnt more (independently) about poetry, runes, trade, archaeology, agriculture, Tacitus, climate change in Scandanavian pre christian times. I would have got more from the course if readings had been provided even if not assessed. For example I was fascinated to read about Snorri as a person and the medieval nobles who must have commissioned collections of myth and would have liked to see a video on his life and times.

3​. I feel I know a great deal more about the prechristian themes and stories in poetry collected in medieval times - that go towards making up what we now think of as norse mythology. What I really want to know is how did people who believed in these gods and heroes live their lives on a day to day basis.