Back to Tools for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Tools for Data Science by IBM

What are some of the most popular data science tools, how do you use them, and what are their features? In this course, you'll learn about Jupyter Notebooks, RStudio IDE, Apache Zeppelin and Data Science Experience. You will learn about what each tool is used for, what programming languages they can execute, their features and limitations. With the tools hosted in the cloud on Cognitive Class Labs, you will be able to test each tool and follow instructions to run simple code in Python, R or Scala. To end the course, you will create a final project with a Jupyter Notebook on IBM Data Science Experience and demonstrate your proficiency preparing a notebook, writing Markdown, and sharing your work with your peers....

RR
Apr 24, 2019

To the contrast of other reviews, I find the content very well bifurcated and fed to the learners. The course very easily digestable and I have had a great amount of fun learning it.. Go for it!!!!

AJ
Sep 15, 2020

Absolutely Loved this course!! Challenging at times to keep up with all the terms and processes. The course provided great insight into Data Science. Would highly recommend it as your first course.

101 - 125 of 3,163 Reviews for Tools for Data Science

By Hasan M A M E

Jan 20, 2021

Thanks, Instructor, Many thanks Coursera. I really appreciate the support you've given me. I like this course. I learned first what “Data science” means that can affect my whole life not only my career. and this course will help me a lot to understand those concepts in an easy and right way. In this course, I’ll learn how to manage, extract, transform, analyze, and visualize data. Now, I might be able to survive data science without programming skills if I use the right set of tools Right now

By Fabien M

Feb 26, 2021

Excellent course. It gives you an overview of several data science tools and software. For each of them, a lab teaches you the basics and get you familiarized with the environment, user interface, and so on, without going too much into detail. It is up to the student to dig into more details if they so wish.

A typical excellent class where it takes you a few hours to understand, but it could take you months or years to specialize in the tools if you wanted to.

By Pushkar B

Jul 7, 2018

Adequate time and information (particularly step by step with screenshots for setup of notebook etc.) was provided in the video and related printed material. This is unlike other courses that I've take so far. So definitely appreciate the instructors and others who helped in creating the material. Although some of the DSX and Dev Cognitive Lab screenshots and steps were outdated due to the new version available, but the helpdesk of IBM was quick to respond.

By Raul A M N

Apr 6, 2020

I have found the program very hands-on, and I like that. It is important to know the basics, and to know your tools, to be able to perform a great job later. This course will teach you how to use the basics for Jupyter Notebooks. Also, it will introduce you to the IBM Tool to make your Data Science journey better. You can always use Jupyter, R Studio, and others separately, but it is nice to have everything in one place and in the cloud.

By Francisco M

Apr 5, 2020

The course is good but sometimes the exercise texts are not very clear and some of the lessons are very straightforward, leaving many doubts. The course should have a larger series of exercises and an automatic correction system that facilitates the review of the exercises. In addition, it would be interesting to have a module on how to use IBMDB2 without the online platform, but through Jupyter on the computer.

By Catherine C

Apr 1, 2020

Without any prior knowledge of data science, I completed this course on my own. Although it was not easy, I am glad that I did it with several attempts. The pleasure of accomplishment from hard work was beyond words and could not be replaced by anything else. Moreover, it gave me the courage to challenge next course.

Thank all the teachers and everyone involved in making this course available to the public.

By MOUAFO D

Jan 21, 2020

An amazing review of available tools for data science an data analysis. Many tools are reviewed, including tools for programing with different languages, cloud for online storage etc with some handy works to get familiar to them. The practices include the procedure of creating personal accounts, free profile in the IBM cloud. One ends up having a nice overview of many available tools for data science.

By Dr. M C

Feb 18, 2021

Tools for data science is a well-designed, self-paced, intensive course that includes components of theory and practical exercises. I found the course both stimulating and challenging. The ready availability of course materials helped me both to see and experiment with many open source and some proprietary tools. This course is an excellent way to prepare for further training as a data scientist.

By Jason J D

Jul 21, 2019

Good Course! Goes through the basic tools for Data Science. The course assignments are fairly easy, especially if you have worked on any of these tools before. The IBM resources on the cloud that are used for this course are fantastic, although they are slow to load at times or confusing to navigate. But with some practice, it is easy to master them and take advantage of these open source tools!

By ABHIJIT S

Good Day

I am personally thankful and grateful for this opportunity .

Thanks and Warm Regards.

Whatsapp : + 91 8017648297

+ 91 6290750012

By Vagia X

Feb 20, 2019

I did not know about Cognitive Class Labs. I was trying to install all these different packages in order to be able to work with them and make progress but I have always had difficulties. I am super excited that I finally realised that there is a much easier way to work with all these amazing tools on line without any problem :-) Thanks a lot Coursera and IBM for this amazing course :-)

By B S

Sep 23, 2020

The course was well structured and I got to know the importance of all the included tools and how they work. One thing, I'd like to add is the tool limitations and errors we get usually. Well, I figured out after googling and researching, but then as they were usual errors, it'd have been great if we had a cheat sheet or something to avoid those errors time to time.

By Juan D P A

Apr 12, 2019

It was a very good introductory course to the Open Source tools available for the practice of Data Science. The pace is normal and the contents are enough to understand and fulfill the requirements in the final project assignment. The IBM Watson Studio presented some issues but they were solved in less than 24 hours by the IBM Engineers. Kudos to the support team!

By Kefang A Y

Apr 18, 2019

It is very useful to know the IBM cloud platform and practical. The cloud platform is very complicate and may do many things. It looks like a forest for me.

Some videos is old interface. If there are step by step instructions, it will save me some time to quickly start. Assignment is easy, but take time to get used to the environment and to know where am I.

By Oluchukwu C G

Apr 19, 2020

I have to give it 5 star cause it was so explanatory and exciting, though the video instructions need to be upgraded cause the web interface as at April 19th, 2020 isn't the same as the Video instructions. So that needs to be upgraded!!! But you work your way round it if you pay attention!!!

Nevertheless, it's a wonderful course and very exciting!!!!

By Mamtha V S

Feb 20, 2019

Loved it! The most useful aspect was the cognitive class cloud web environment, which truly allows you the flexibility and mobility to practice from anywhere. There is no need to download install software, so you can access the course, literally from any machine, in a seamless manner. That's a very neat feature for someone who is working.

By Mohammed A M A

Jun 29, 2020

Assignment assessment is not controlled and sometimes assessors don't assess based on the right content. I encountered this issue in several courses' assignments. I hope that the peer-graded assignment undergoes some revision to establish a more credited assessment approach.

Thank you for your consideration.

Coursera is always the best!

By Joseph G

Nov 29, 2019

I learned so much in this course. I had no idea these tools were available in one place online. In preparation for doing the IBM Professional Certificate, I spent about a week installing programs and languages and stressing out about GUIs and IDEs. This course showed me multiple ways to get around all this and use IBM online tools.

By K L K

Oct 10, 2020

A very good informative course! All tools of data science are discussed. A bit practical sense of few important open source tools is given nicely. You will uderstood that there are wide variety of tools for data science! Great one! This will push the beginners out of their theoretical zone to see the real information and tools.

By Jess M

Jan 29, 2019

A lot of this is outdated since the IBM Watson stuff has been completely revamped, and the Zeppelin Notebooks tutorials were difficult to follow, since they seemed to have already been run when I went in, and therefore I couldn't tell what was function and what was output. But it's great to have all these free tools available.

By James L M

Jun 10, 2020

This actually helps me since I have no background regarding the tools needed for development in Data Science. Week 1 and 2 are particularly helpful since it introduces a lot of tools that one could use. Week 3 is a bit promotional and week 4 is true challenge. The course really guides you on how to start jupyter notebook.

By Ankit T

Apr 19, 2020

It was a great experience to learn the various open-source tool for data science. I have gained considerable knowledge of the Jupyter Notebook and IBM Watson Studio. It will be of great help for learners if the data science experience tool videos will be modified with IBM Watson Studio navigation and notebook creation.

By Isis S C

Jan 19, 2020

Loved the course! It presents integrated environments where we can perform data analysis (+all previous and post steps) using multiple languages in open-source tools. IBM Skills Network Labs is perfect for learning, IBM Watson Studios enables collaboration and scalability, for enterprises. Super convenient tools!

By Frances B

Mar 20, 2019

the course is great for people getting into the field of data science and have no clue where to start with resources for the filed. It helps build confidence and security knowing there are resources at our finger tips, for free, and with guidance from the the tutorial videos provided in this course. great stuff.

By Atal S S M

Mar 5, 2019

Very informative on the open source tools available. It does get tricky sometimes to understand the instructions of the notebooks as the videos display an older version and the current website would have the updated version. IBM Cloud is a huge advantage to work on Python,R and Scala with spark kernels for free.