Back to International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior by Università Bocconi

Leaders in business and non-profit organizations increasingly work across national borders and in multi-cultural environments. You may work regularly with customers or suppliers abroad, or be part of a globally dispersed cross-functional team, or an expatriate manager on an international assignment. You may be a member of a global online community, or a development aid worker collaborating with an international network of partner organizations. In all of these contexts, your effectiveness as a leader depends on how well you understand and are able to manage individual and collective behaviors in an intercultural context. In this course – together with a team of Bocconi expert faculty and Bocconi alumni – we’ll explore the theory and practice of international and intercultural leadership and organizational behavior. Social science research has revealed systematic ways in which our behavior differs across cultural contexts – enabling us to more effectively work across borders. Insights from psychology, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology, from communication studies and from management scholarship allow us to understand what shapes individual and group decision making, what enhances or weakens team performance, and how we can build and use our social networks. And the shared practical experience of international leaders allows us to identify concrete steps to enhancing intercultural leadership competence, and to be cognizant of common leadership challenges. Learning about organizational behavior provides a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to reflect on your own behavioral tendencies. How do you usually make important decisions? What motivates you and how do you try motivating others? How successfully do you leverage and integrate diverse skills and views in a team? Do you prefer professional relationships with a close-knit group of trusted colleagues, or with a far-flung network of acquaintances from all walks of life? If you really want to learn how organizations behave and take decisions and at the same time develop leadership skills, then this is the course for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you and supporting you on this journey of learning and discovery. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1 - Leadership Acumen. International perspective on leadership, common traps & challenges, and opportunities of intercultural leadership. Week 2 - Navigating Culture. Impact of cultural differences on organizations, decoding culture, culture classifications and stereotyping, developing intercultural intelligence. Week 3 - Communication. Communication and its impact on leadership identity and relationships, managing communication to improve decision making, steps for developing your intercultural communication skills. Week 4 - Motivation. Views on individual motivation, cultural differences in motivation, developing motivation and commitment in teams. Week 5 - Networking. Patterns of interpersonal relationships in/across organizations, strategically developing social networks and social capital, norms for networking across cultures. Week 6 - Conflict. Effective / defective conflict management approaches, dealing with ethical dilemmas. Thanks to the participation of our alumni and of the Bocconi Alumni Association, participants will have practical insights on international leadership. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND All are welcome! Some prior exposure to basic issues of organizational behavior (communication, decision making, motivation, etc.) is useful, but not required....

AY

Jan 07, 2017

I completed this course while working abroad and I loved it. The course helped be to have a better understanding and respect for different cultures in life and in the work environment.\n\nThank You!

GC

Aug 13, 2018

Very interesting course. Alumni viewpoints, pop-up questions, and interactive dialogues all made the course more engaging. Each video was a good length for informational content and attentiveness.

51 - 75 of 410 Reviews for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

By Aditya p

Knowledge is the power of success as this course contribute a loot to develop future as well as making master of your self

The teacher and the University it self have a outstanding course and inicative to develop me

I recommend you to please do this course

Once again I thank franz wohlgezogen and bocconi

By Ethel V P

Apr 24, 2020

I did enjoy the course and the way it was set up, including the case scenarios, the real life interview and the additional reading materials. It was a nice discovery journey, which has helped me a lot to think to my strengths and weaknesses while learning more about leadership.

And I did love Franz jokes :D:D:D

By Xhuljana

Excellent course. I strongly suggest everyone regardless of their academic or professional status to take a look at this course. It really helps to broaden your perspective on leadership. I enjoyed every lecture and the structure it has with, lectures, slides, and quizzes make it feel real and accomplishing.

By Sokolovska M

May 03, 2020

Really great course that require consistency and out of box thinking. I’m absolutely sure that now I have more clear ideas and new tips how to manage an international team. I can recommend it to everyone who work in foreign country and not only, to open new prospectives and to be ready to meet any challenge.

By Najib a a a

Mar 02, 2020

I learned a lot about managing an international team. I learned to motivate followers and motivation methods. I learned about the motives and effects of social culture. I learned to build social networks and their types. I learned about conflict management, discord, conflict culture and painful leadership.

By Antonio C

Apr 18, 2020

I really enjoyed attending this course. It went beyond my expectations. Prof Franz is great to bring you through this "leadership" journey, full of very useful and inspirational tips. Also very interesting the dialogues with the Bocconi Alumni. It gave me a new leadership perspective. I recommend it.

By Diana R

May 05, 2020

The navigation and learning through this course was clear and understandable. Provided me with a quality information and something I can use in my real world future career. I loved the videos as they were very interesting, informative and with a bit of humour that made the learning more enjoyable!

By Kersy

Jan 07, 2020

What a wonderful and insightful course. It was very informative, educational and dynamic. The instructor did a great job explaining all the concepts and keeping all the guest speakers engaged. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in growing both professionally and personally!

By Vishal N

Jun 10, 2020

It is a very exhaustive and engaging course that captures most nuances of IL&OB. Professor Franz is adept at engaging the audience through not only his lectures but has stitched up a very nice combination of lectures, case studies and interviews. I would highly recommend this course!

By Raghavendra S

Oct 08, 2016

This course is a delight. Method of instruction involves a lot of conversation style and group discussion type channels, along with the traditional lectures, and its well thought out, well assembled, well delivered without being very heavy to absorb. Thanks for putting this together.

By Gabriela M

Jun 01, 2020

I loved it. I study international relations and i think everyone studying this major should also take this course. It will strenghten your leaadership skills, your understanding of people and organizational behavior, and will help you in your career in general.

Thank you so much!

By Shannon W

Apr 29, 2018

Very relevant modules for any international organization where you might be working in a leadership team. The quantity of work was completely manageable, and the compilation of additional readings and resources proved to be very interesting. I would highly recommend this course!

By Alexandre C

Jun 03, 2017

This course is really good and triggered a lot of ideas in my mind. I've been through different conflicts in my work because of cultural differences but I am more prepared to deal with all those situations. I would suggest just a higer volume/audio quality for the videos.

Thanks

By Shaurya s

Apr 12, 2020

Amazing faculty. I'm very impressed by his teaching style, made it so easy for me to grasp the concepts without searching on multiple sources. A very detailed and planned way of rendering insight towards the whole course and it was a great, great experience.

Thank-you so much.

By Priyanka K

Jul 08, 2020

I would like to pay my gratitude to both the coursera team and University of Bocconi (Franz Wohlgezogen) for providing me an opportunity to learn and widen my horizon of knowledge. It was a great learning experience and I completed the whole course in a matter of 10 days.

By Jonathan P

Dec 15, 2015

Excellent content that can be used daily in an international organization. The course allowed me to improve my negotiation skills and manage different points of view using the technical concepts offered by the International Leadership and Organizational Behavior class.

By Chelsea S

Jul 08, 2016

This course provides such a different perspective on the types of relationships we foster. I really do appreciate the interactive way in which the lecturer conveyed his material. I would definitely recommend this course to everyone whose willing to get out of the box!

By Maja G

Jul 22, 2020

the course is very informative and interactive. It show leadership from multiple standpoints and and offer variety of materials: including ted talks or application of theories in the practical cases. The way lecturer talks is very approachable and easy to comprehend.

By TRINH T M C

Jun 27, 2020

Thanks so much for this interesting and useful course. I learned alot from the course. There are many things that I did not aware of. I hope that I can use these knowledge in my daily life to improve my relationship and leadership performance. Thanks again.

By Vinit M

Jun 06, 2020

Thanks to my teacher. It was wonderful experience to learn about leadership and organizational behavior. Everything was perfect the content, the way sir explained the topics. Once again thank you Sir. In Hindi I would like to show my respect "Pranam Sir"

By Hikmat G

Dec 09, 2016

I really liked this course . Course is full of information and their practice,so it is beneficial . However, teacher speaks a little bit fast and i think this case is root of his nationality :) Anyway it is not a big problem.

Thanks for everything!

By Dr S K K

When I join this course not thinking it would give more internal inlighment. This course is desined very nicely. Special thanks to Prof Franz Wohlgezogen who has teach me through this course. Thank you aother guests whose participated in discussion.

By Francesco A

Jan 20, 2016

I found this course very interesting, a good teach that keeps your attention along all the videos, with a lot of external material (papers, videos, web page) useful to improve your knowledge. Thanks to all the people that have worked on this course.

By Selin K

Oct 11, 2016

One of the best courses I had in Coursera: realistic, smart, sourceful. Especially appreciated Mr. Wohlgezogen not reading from a screen like a robot as most online courses' instructors do. Great tips for professional life. Strongly recommended :)

By Giada C

Jun 07, 2020

Very interesting course which delves into the main issues related to international leadership providing a wide range of techniques, strategies, and examples to strenghten leadership attitude. I found it easy to follow, compelling and empowering!