Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

JA
Jun 21, 2019

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

BO
Apr 1, 2019

This is my most favorite module module, especially the Linux, which is my all time favorite OS ever enjoy learning, working Programing, and configuring, and will continue enjoying til the end of time.

26 - 50 of 2,759 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Soodabeh G

Dec 22, 2020

too many sessions for each week....teacher was packing too much of information in each lesson.

She should organize her lessons into two distinct category: windows OS & Linux.

Overall, It was a great course with a lot of important information.

By O'rinboyev J K

Nov 8, 2020

Juda ajoyib kurs! Kursda operatsion tizimlar bilan ishlash uchun juda keng ko'nikmalar mavjud. Bu kurs mening hayotimda katta o'sish bo'ldi! Google kompaniyasiga ushbu kurs uchun kata rahmat aytaman. Cindy uchun esa alohida RAHMAT!!! :-)

By Belen

Apr 3, 2020

It is a very thorough and comprehensive course. It does have a lot of supplemental readings that may be out of date because it is 3 years old. Some of the commands are for Windows 8, not Windows 10.

By Simon T

Jan 4, 2021

The course is great. I leaned a lot about OS specially about Linux Ubuntu and Windows PowerShell.

By Dwight C

Mar 20, 2019

I have renewed some of the skills I knew plus added a lot of skills I din't have

By Michael E

Jan 7, 2021

I wrote more in depth comments after each week of the course.

In general I liked the course as well as the instructor. I gathered some useful information about IT and Operating Systems. However, I think the course could have be much more effective if

A) you used another learning strategy. Instead of having learners basically repeat precise instructions for five weeks and then, all of a sudden, give them tasks where they have to do things autonomously, why noted it gradually, a little bit each time?

B) you provided more opportunities to try out things and code along. It is a pity that I (as on owner of a Mac) learned only in week 5 that there would have been the possibility to use virtual box to vm windows on my computer or to install CLI on it.

What I like about this course and in general about all the Google Coursera courses I have taken so far is that the teacher are really engaged, very passionate about their topic and really knowledgable

By Ankit B

Aug 19, 2020

This course covered lots of information. However, it would be nice if the labs And graded assessments were somewhat interactive. What I mean is that it should ask students to complete some tasks based on the topic covered and not show them exactly how to do it. But, if they get stuck stuck they can click on the hint button or something to help they move forward. I feel that this course is defini Very important and sometimes Cindy was going through super fast with commands she was typing. Lastly, if students are using Putty for Qwiklabs, then all of the course material should be shown in that instead of in Linux GUI.

By Alexandria S

Aug 30, 2020

I had trouble with the last two quizzes and now I can't go back to take them because I exceeded the times for taking the test. Now I can't get all 5 certificates for taking all the courses the only thing I didn't pass were two quizzes which I didn't understand and I needed help with them and couldn't get any help.

By Hail B

Jul 6, 2018

Good course, one must be willing to dig in much deeper on the subjects as they are discussed very briefly.

By Joseph S

Feb 12, 2020

Week 6 is broken

By Nicholas A R

Jan 19, 2020

There isn't much exercise material. There's nothing provided to help iron in all the things taught in these lessons, and there is A LOT of material. Which mean most of what you teach is just in one ear and out the other. And the stuff you did teah is so horridly taught. You can't just be like, "Oh by the way, this concept exists and you should know about it. Here's a link to wikipedia with hours of text" Because if we wanted to read wikipedia entries to learn all this we'd find a study and google it ourselves. We're paying YOU to teach US what we need to know. Don't just give us "the basics". Furthermore, you say you want us to run and write these commands down with you but a lot of times you barely, and I mean BARELY give us enough time to even pause the video to look at the full command. Speaking of which, you need to break down the commands for us. This is a BEGINNERS course. When you need to tell us what the structure of a command is. You can't just give us a command like "sudo dd if=/devsdd of=~/desktop/" and not break it down. If the videos are 10 to 20 minutes long who cares? Because I personally spent well over a hour on a lot of videos reading up on the topics you so terribly covered.

By Tyler W

Jan 21, 2020

Many of the QuikLabs instances in this lesson will make you want to tear your eyes out. You will likely need to open and close each final lab 2 or 3 times to get it to run the way it needs to in order to be scored. Once you get it to run, your instructions may be VERY vague. This isn't a problem, except the grading algorithm is VERY SPECIFIC, and needs tasks to be executed in ONE of the 4,000 ways each of us knows how to complete any given OS task. (Week 6 Linux portion tells you [sudo] commands are required for _____ reason. The Windows instance gives no such advice, and thus you spend an hour or more bumbling around what would normally be a 10 minute chore list) If anything, the lesson here was "If you work in IT, don't set up a program like this."

By Santos R G

Dec 4, 2019

I rate this course as the worst one yet, NOT because of the topics, instructor or even exam, but because of the horrible problem with the Finally LABS. This has been documented for over a year on the messages board, and Coursera, Google nor qwikLab have done NOTHING to address the issue. I think it a sign of disrespect to the students effort, time and money put towards improving their knowledge. I am disappointed with all three parties, how can you teach a course on IT , and NOT get your system corrected !

By Jose M V M

Feb 25, 2019

This is one of the worst courses I have ever taken. And it's not bad due to the classes or topics or even due to being a hard course, but because they have chosen to use the WORST grading tools. They almost never work and when they work (not often) you are not even properly graded, missing half the score and other problems like that. This means that you are forced to get on the tool again and pray for it to work (it won't) and hope you can finally get the right grade.

By Ahmad S

Jun 18, 2018

1) I had a horrible time accessing the qwiklabs. Then when I finally pass them and received emails confirming my achievement. I go back to course outline and Coursera said I did not complete yet.2) Instructions/lessons learning the different commands on three different platforms was very quick and in my opinion does not allow the audience to fully digest material and develop individual skills sets.

By jorge R

Jun 10, 2018

Great content, and great teacher but unfortunately the windows lab ruined it of for me. They never work I spent days re-doing them. Please fix it since I believe that this could be a great class. Unfortunately, this class is not for me I am extremely frustrated with course so I am quitting. I just hope I can get my money back since all the work I putted in has no value without the certificate.

By John M

Mar 2, 2019

Rife with technical errors preventing grading to parse correctly, as well as certain modules failing to load (windows) or have the correct PPK (linux via PuTTY).

Fantastic information in the course. Horribly frustrating to get it to register as complete. Had to email support multiple times to get them to just give me credit for a busted lab.

By Bogusia K

Jul 8, 2020

Just 2 stars - didnt think it was a good idea to mix windows and linux together - didnt do any favours to me . Didnt connect with the teacher and struggled to take in all information . Boring !Not enough practical - qwick lab good but not enough time .

By michael m

Sep 24, 2018

The labs are ridiculous! The one for Linux is the worst! I had to do it multiple times and even though I completed all of the requested steps, I only received 80%. I will not recommend this course anybody because of the labs.

By Jerry A

Feb 10, 2020

no stars. all the labs following the guide , is it all correctly but the progress mark it never works, it keep it showing zero marks. Waste of time as I don't get the certificate course as I completed it.

By Thiago F N

Jan 2, 2020

Horrible, this course apart from Linux is pretty bad. Unlike the others the instructor doesn't seem to be interested in teaching and the exercises are so vague and simple, not challenging at all.

By Shreyas B

Feb 10, 2020

Quicklabs is not verifying my process even though I have completed the given task. Due to this, I cannot pass the quiz and cannot submit my assignment.

By Walter A

Jun 14, 2018

The course was very enlightening but the issue with Qwiklab not syncing the grades properly made this course not enjoyable.

By Peter S

Feb 6, 2018

The Linux stuff is pretty good, but the Windows tasks are far too remedial. Also, the grading doesn't work half the time.

By John A

Feb 18, 2019

Labs are horribly run by Qwiklabs with poor response and function. I wish Google had run this program.