Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

AN
May 22, 2021

Excellent. The course was very educational, extremely well put together and Corey´s instruction was excellent. One really needed to put time and effort into it but is worth every second of time spend.

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

251 - 275 of 552 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Florence L

Mar 22, 2020

The course is very interesting with materials and videos of very high quality. I learnt a lot on those artists and I highly recommend this MOOC.

By Sinisa

Mar 15, 2020

Many thanks to teacher and Coursera, course open my mind and after course i buy oil colors and start to paint, realy thanks !

Best regards Sinisa

By IJE

Aug 8, 2017

enjoying this, well presented, easy to follow; love the practical insights re painting & how/why artists used the materials /techniques they did

By Jim G

I loved this course. Corey D'Augustine was a great teacher and many of the artists that he showed us their techniques I knew very little about.

By Elena C

Apr 9, 2021

Enjoyed the course, very good organized, learn a lot about materials, techniques, history about postwar abstract painting. My recommendations!

By Miranda M

Jun 9, 2020

I LIKED THE COURSE SO MUCH!! AND LEARNED A LOT ABOUT THE GREAT PAINTERS. THANK YOU WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE!!!!

HOPE TO VISIT MomA ONE DAY !!!!

By lei w

Dec 10, 2017

Best class I have ever taken. It is a rare opportunity for me who lives in China to be able to take a class from MOMA. I truly appreciate it.

By Pol M C

Jun 14, 2020

This course was nothing short of inspiring. Corey's insightful demonstrations paired with the comprehensive resources were truly enjoyable!

By Leila B N

Jan 16, 2018

Amazing, I would love to continue to have the same Professor and course style about more contemporary artists. The best online course ever

By Barbara K

May 21, 2018

Great experience, I learnt a lot about artists, techniques, composition and more. I already recommended this course several times! Barbara

By Megan E

Aug 28, 2017

loved this course. Even though they show how to do one painting of each artist's, I wish they did a couple from different periods. So good

By maria f l

Jun 24, 2017

muy buen curso ... ayuda a adquirir conocimientos mas especificos sobre los artistas , como son los videos en estudios . me ayudaron mucho

By KIRSTEN M

Nov 4, 2017

Excellent - one of the most interesting courses I have done. The practical demonstrations make this a very unique experience - thank you!

By Mary C

Jun 20, 2017

A fantastic course that is greatly presented and instructed. A fantastic way to discover and learn the techniques used by the artists.

By Stanislaus G

Apr 3, 2017

I learned so much in this class-- about the artists we studied and about how they actually created their work. It was pretty amazing!

By Joan S P

Feb 19, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. Very informative. I loved in particular the videos demonstrating the techniques used by each artist.

By Brittany T

Dec 27, 2017

From both the art history side and the studio side, this is a simply amazing class! I learned so much and enjoyed every minute of it.

By Jacopo

May 1, 2019

This course is well structured. Contents are accessible and insightful. Hopefully MoMA will do more similar ones or expand this one.

By James S

Jun 12, 2017

Excellent course! Having the opportunity to paint like the artists adds so much insight and meaning to the experience. Thanks Corey!

By Danielle L D

Jul 18, 2020

it was awesome taking this class waiting for certificate. I received the Certificate this morning I learned a lot from the class .

By Marion T

Aug 9, 2017

I loved this class, I learned a lot. Just read my essay, you will understand! thank you again, I will certainly take another class

By Lisa M H

May 22, 2017

Enjoyable course. Postwar Abstraction is fascinating and this course does a great job presenting these artists in an exciting way.

By Paul

Aug 17, 2020

The studio art section was a lot of fun, I would advise you try to do a least some of the exercises and for sure watch the videos

By Raquel V

Aug 11, 2019

It is a thoughtful approach to post-war Abtract Expressionism, perfect balance between theory and practice. Thank you very much!

By Hal S

May 22, 2020

Excellent course! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It was laid out well and always kept my interest. Highly recommended.