Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

CG
Feb 24, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

251 - 275 of 503 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Marion T

Aug 9, 2017

I loved this class, I learned a lot. Just read my essay, you will understand! thank you again, I will certainly take another class

By Lisa M H

May 22, 2017

Enjoyable course. Postwar Abstraction is fascinating and this course does a great job presenting these artists in an exciting way.

By Paul

Aug 17, 2020

The studio art section was a lot of fun, I would advise you try to do a least some of the exercises and for sure watch the videos

By Raquel V

Aug 11, 2019

It is a thoughtful approach to post-war Abtract Expressionism, perfect balance between theory and practice. Thank you very much!

By Hal S

May 22, 2020

Excellent course! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It was laid out well and always kept my interest. Highly recommended.

By Carla P A

molto interessante e stimolante ringrazio tutti gli insegnanti e il moma per aver reso possibile questo percorso

carla pistola

By Emilio M

Dec 20, 2017

This is a very interesting course! I made and painted my first canvas with acrilic, I'm very happy about all this experience.

By Alessandra G B

Es un muy buen curso, que te ayuda a darte cuenta de la historia detrás de muchas pinturas así como las técnicas utilizadas.

By Manuel C V X

Apr 27, 2020

Excellent course, congratulations to all: members of staff and colleagues.

Hope to see you in another course from COURSERA.

By Alberto A E

May 18, 2017

Wonderful Course. I have been recomending it to all may artist friends. It will certainly have an effect in my own practice.

By Hitomi K

Apr 1, 2019

This course was very meaningful to me. If you are interested in American modern art, I highly recommend taking this course.

By Enrico D C

Jun 6, 2020

Very accurate and professional course, I learned a lot of things and loved and concept I never thought I would. Excellent!

By Emma M

Jul 28, 2020

Amazing! I really really enjoyed it and learned a ton! I would definitely recommend this course to family and friends! :D

By Valerio V

Apr 29, 2020

Awesome course on Abstract Painting and Arts in General. I was able to learn much from our instructor Corey D'Augustine.

By Angelica S

Apr 2, 2018

A great experience to have taken this course. Knowing and applying the techniques of these seven artists was enriching.

By Andrew R

May 22, 2017

Loved the demonstrations of how the painters featured may have approached/undertaken/achieved their individual results.

By David G

Oct 5, 2020

This is such a great course, with the instructor really doing a great job conveying what each artist was trying to do.

By Clara A S

Mar 26, 2019

I loved this course! I really enjoyed it. The course content and flexible time management were great and ideal for me.

By Leslie Z

Oct 10, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! The course is engaging, simple to follow, and expertly taught by Corey D'Augustine.

By Peter J W

Sep 6, 2017

Amazing class. Excellent instructor and selection of artists in the course. Opened an entirely new world of art to me.

By Sohnit K

Dec 30, 2018

its one of my best course I have ever taken. You can learn and apply the knowledge in your painting. I enjoyed a lot.

By Allegra S

Jun 3, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed the class and learned much. Thank you MoMA for the this positive experience during the pandemic.

By Steven C

Oct 6, 2019

Excellent course material - and really fantastic course leader! The demonstrations and reading material are great.

By Pepa Q G

May 28, 2017

I enjoy it very much. I learn a lot about the Postwar Abstract Painters. I wish I can join another similar course.

By Indie R

Dec 16, 2019

One of the best courses here with very creative assignment and a great lector with sophisticated sense of humor!