Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

1 - 25 of 241 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Claudia D

Jan 28, 2019

Course is outstanding. Very well presented and demonstrated by the instructor, pacing is excellent (a little video, a little reading, a quiz) and hugely informative. Time spent was well worth it. Can't wait to travel to NY and see the paintings in person. Would recommend this course to anyone interested in the subject. I took the non-painting option.

By Cheryl K

Feb 18, 2019

This course completely changed my prejudiced views of abstract art. I'd never been interested or paid much attention to any abstract art, but discovering the passions and values of the artists covered in the lessons has definitely awoken a drive to find out more and fascination in learning about the emotions, thought processes and influences that went into their art work. Inspirational!

By Callie G

By Larisa B

Dec 12, 2018

Thx, a lot. I was incredibly enjoying while learning this. I want some more!!

By Maria N

Jan 28, 2019

I really liked this format of the course. I had the opportunity to learn techniques and materials. It is very interesting! Make more such interesting courses!

By Leza H

Nov 25, 2018

Excellent course and one which I have recommended to many people. Gives you a unique first hand insight in to technique and methods. The course tutor, Corey, is impressive. I would love to see more courses led by him, like this one, featuring different artists. I now visit MOMA with a far greater appreciation of the artist’s skills and it has encouraged me to paint using different techniques. Truly insightful and enlightening.

By Paige S

Nov 09, 2018

very informative

By Anson

Nov 12, 2018

Great class with really interesting scope of art and history in the post war abstract era. The use of video content was really helpful especially when on location at MoMa.

By Rubén M M

Nov 12, 2018

A very interesting course if you are interested in art, painting and abstract expressionism.

By Monica P

Jan 07, 2019

Corey D'Augustine is a great instructor, and the course was very well put together!

By Anna W

Jan 08, 2019

I love this course! So informative and interesting. It feels like I'm learning loads. Thank you!!!

By Arvydas G (

Jan 10, 2019

Thank you, Corey D'Augustine for your lessons, which really enriched my knowledge and teach me to understand art better. I really began to develop a deeper appreciation of the artists works, acquired new skills and inspired to create new works.

I really liked the way the lessons were organized and the course as a whole. Refinement and reinforcement of knowledge is very well at the end of each lesson, when I have to answer quiz. And of course Final Project, peer-graded assignment, studio exercise, and visual analysis essay - all this is undoubtedly assimilated and settles in long-term memory and becomes yours for life.

By Marjorie B

Jan 11, 2019

This course provided an excellent overview of the selected artists, unique explanations of the artwork by museum professionals, and great studio assignments to paint along with. I had so much fun learning and painting! If you are looking for increased art appreciation or some inspiration in the studio, I would highly recommend this course!

By Joe K

Jan 23, 2019

Really loved this class. The combo of teaching about the artist and actually doing the work itself was amazing. The instructor did a great job balancing both.

By Ibikunle D

Feb 25, 2019

Most needed for the prospective, aspiring and experienced artists; skills and knowledge impacting.

By eleni c

Mar 03, 2019

very interesting and well organized course!

By Felipe d j C H

Mar 07, 2019

Recommended you learn a lot with contemporary painters, I really like congratulations to all

By Michael A

Mar 13, 2019

Cory D'Auguestine is so adept in both his analysis and executions in the studio. I wish there were more courses like this. It allowed me to work in the manner of many artists that i admired growing in appreciation for the process and methodology.

By Sohnit K

Dec 30, 2018

its one of my best course I have ever taken. You can learn and apply the knowledge in your painting. I enjoyed a lot.

By Stacy N

Nov 14, 2018

This was a really great course. The subject matter was very interesting, the instruction was outstanding and the studio work was very helpful for technique and process. I enjoyed it thoroughly and have more appreciation for abtract expressionism.

By

Sep 04, 2018

Very good course. I did not participate in the art production part of the curriculum, but I found the rest of the course interesting and engaging.

By James W

Sep 12, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyable and provided fantastic inspiration for my own work. The lecturer was clearly very knowledgeable and conveyed sometimes difficult concepts simply and reinforced these throughout the course. It really was easy to stay motivated with this course!

By Nina V K

Sep 14, 2018

This was the most enlightening course - it has highly motivated me, not only in my own painting but in my continued research and learning. I now have a deep appreciation of the New York School approach, the intriguing artists featured in this course and their intense philosophies. Thank you MoMA

By Marcela

Sep 25, 2018

Excellent course, I was enthusiastic about painting and working with the styles of painters representative of abstract art, it was interesting to delve into their lives and their works, and interpret their paintings. I hope soon a next course where other styles and painters will be addressed. Thank you!!

By Yanan H

Oct 06, 2018

Love it! Interesting classes.